Holding zero while taking sight on and off?

This is a discussion on Holding zero while taking sight on and off? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in mounting a red dot sight on my Kel-Tec Sub 2000. I do not want to keep the rifle from folding, that's ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OPFOR

Thread: Holding zero while taking sight on and off?

Holding zero while taking sight on and off?

I am interested in mounting a red dot sight on my Kel-Tec Sub 2000. I do not want to keep the rifle from folding, that's the reason I bought it in the first place. I have seen videos and pictures where some have used a spring door hinge to mount a sight so that it still moves out of the way when folding. I was wondering how far off zero a red dot would be if I decided not to use a door hinge, and instead mounted a picatinny rail and chose to place and remove the sight as needed? How much does constantly taking off and putting on a red dot sight effect accuracy? I would mount the sight on a fixed quick release mount and just attach it to a rail mounted on the rifle. I am looking at using either a Vortex SPARC, or Bushnell TRS-25 sight.

Thank you for your help.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not very much, in my experience. A good mount on a solid rail (with good rings, of course) will keep a solid zero - nothing you should have to worry about unless you're looking for extreme precision (and a Sub 2000 with a red dot sight tells me this isn't a sniper system).
    Daddy Warcrimes likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I agree with OPFOR. For the purposes you intend it for , it should stay very clse.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links