Documentation kit? (cheap deal for 5/28/11 only, but q if it's a good idea)

This is a discussion on Documentation kit? (cheap deal for 5/28/11 only, but q if it's a good idea) within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All, Would one of these be useful, or does one's cell phone camera suffice? I assume we all carry cell phones and they all have ...

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

All,

Would one of these be useful, or does one's cell phone camera suffice? I assume we all carry cell phones and they all have cameras of one quality or another.

On Daily Deals, 1 Sale A Day I found a 'document your accident' kit to keep in one's car. Might be a good idea to have one of these in the trunk or junk drawer, just in case we should ever need to document an incident. I'm a bit torn: the time (and time away from the scene) it would take after an incident to retrieve the kit may make it useless - especially since the situation in which I could imagine needing it would be the one where I dare not take my eyes off the surroundings.

And does having such a kit imply that I was expecting/hoping to use it? God forbid! But I've heard stories of good folks being accused of actually seeking mayhem.

35mm may be a better medium for evidence than a digital photo in that it permits less opportunity for the accusation of manipulation, though I'm sure an expert could examine a digital photo for signs of tampering.

Any of us could assemble such a kit pretty easily (though perhaps today's deal might be cheaper).

Thoughts? Do I want one of these? And if not for dead zombies*, maybe for accidents?

(if the photo is taken down later, it shows a disposable 35mm camera, a tailor's tape measure, a pad of paper to collect info including a portion pre-printed with street outlines, a pen, and a crayon, all in a small first-aid-kit-like zippered pouch)

* Yes, I know that zombies are kinda already dead. You know what I mean.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

If stored in your trunk or glove box for several years before being used will the film in the disposable camera go bad due to the excessive heat which accumulates in your car during summer months? I don't know if that has an effect. I'm guessing the first aid kit is fairly cheesy too (read worthless).

Like you said, most people will have a digital camera as part of their cell phone these days. If you have a cell phone camera, I'd rely on that. If you wish, use this kit to inspire you to create your own accident kit. Make your own "accident report" form to keep in your car to fill out when an accident occurs. Add a cheap-o tape measure and buy or make your own first aid kit which would be more useful.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links