Speedloaders - HKS -v- Safariland

This is a discussion on Speedloaders - HKS -v- Safariland within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been using HKS speedloaders for my J frames for a few years now. I recently saw a video where Mas Ayoob slams his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedloaders - HKS -v- Safariland

VIP Member

I have been using HKS speedloaders for my J frames for a few years now. I recently saw a video where Mas Ayoob slams his speedloaders in and they just fall away. These looked faster than my HKS where you have to turn the knob and hold the cylinder to release the rounds. I set out in search of what Mas was using - Safariland speedloaders.

I just got my order of Safariland speedloaders and, wow, they are a lot faster than the HKS speedloaders. My overall perceptions are that the HKS is better made and will last longer and the HKS covers the primer better than the Safariland, which basically does not. The HKS are cheaper too, however, the Safariland take up less room in your pocket (if that is where you carry them).

If I am in a firefight, I value the speed of reload much more than the other features. I have converted over to the Safariland for carry and, barring a failure in use, i.e., dumping the rounds in my pocket or breakage, I don't see going back. I am not slamming the HKS, but the Safariland's faster reload wins the day for me.

Safariland is on the left in both pics. Both are loaded with the same .357 rounds.

It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I agree, I changed over to the "Safariland" when I bought my Bodyguard revolver. Just cheap plastic but so much faster. I wondered how well they would hold up, but I've been carrying the same one in my pocket for about 5-6 months now and it hasn't released a single cartridge. I'm impressed.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not particularly proficient with speedloaders but my preference is for the Safariland for the same reasons presented in the OP.

VIP Member
    I switch to safariland about a year and half ago, much faster reloads.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

If it is the video I am thinking of, the loaders he is using are SL, Comp IIIs, the same ones, I use. The difference is that they inject the rounds into the cylinder under spring pressure instead of relying on gravity like the Comp I, II and other loaders. The problem is that they are not available for all revolvers. I believe that they are about the fastest loaders available.
    Attached Images
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    If it is the video I am thinking of, the loaders he is using are SL, Comp IIIs, the same ones, I use. The difference is that they inject the rounds into the cylinder under spring pressure instead of relying on gravity like the Comp I, II and other loaders. The problem is that they are not available for all revolvers. I believe that they are about the fastest loaders available.
    Guantes - you are correct, Mas uses the longer loader. I did not want to carry the extra length around and I don't even know if it comes for the J frames anyway. It may be a tad quicker than the ones I got, but they are all faster than the HKS loaders I have been using.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

No argument there.

Safariland speedloaders, eh? I'm going to have to look into these.

Thanks for the post.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hello guys...

I guess that I'm the odd one out. Being a ravolver kind of a guy I am somewhat familiar with both brands of speed loader. I prefer the HKS to the Safariland.

In my opinion the method of release , and retention is more positive in the HKS. The Safariland loaders releace the roinds when the back of the ejector rod pokes the center on tle loader. If the safailand loaders are carried in a pocket with anything else... It's likely that the rounds will eventually be released by a key or a coin or something poking that same spot. My favorite was of carrying speed loaders is in a case that straddles the belt, with three rounds on one side , and three rounds on the other. This makes for a comfortable, and easily concealed carry. With the Safariland loaders this is impossible, as the belt would release the loaders. They must be carried in pouch type carriers bulging out from the belt.

With the HKS there are none of these problems. You can carry them in a pocket and their not likely to drop the rounds, they can be carried in concealable pouches, and with just a little practice, and proper technique... are just as fast as any others. Those long Safariland spring loaded deals are made for gamers. Although some uniforms carry them, they are basically for gamers.

Has anyone ever considered Speed strips?... I actually prefer them to speed loaders. Flat, easily concealable, comfortable, allows the carry of a lot more ammo.

Spuk!

Secret Spuk,

Just a difference of opinion, I guess.

I would not carry anything else in a pocket with speed loaders, regardless of brand/type.
    While I don't care for them, SL makes a split six carrier for their speed loaders.
    I am not above using gamer gear if it is functional in everyday use and is superior to what else is available.
    I consider Speed Strips too slow for practical use with a primary and I have easily carried four Comp IIIs in a jacket pocket.
    Gloves

VIP Member
    Spuk - your technique must be better than mine with the HKS. While I am not going to set any records, I do train with my gear. I have been training with the HKS loaders for some time and can do a pretty fast reload. However, my first reload with the Safariland loader was faster than my reloads with the HKS. There is one less operation to do as you don't have to turn the knob.

I agree with you that the HKS holds rounds more securely, if more sloppily. This extra security has the penalty of having to both hold the cylinder still and twist the loader knob to release the rounds.

Over time, I have found that the wiggle allowed by the HKS loaders can hang up a HP round during a reload. This does not always happen, has never happened with .38s, but does occasionally happen with .357s. The Safariland loader holds the rounds more tightly so this wiggle is much less. This is facilitated by the release rod that also touches the rounds. Time will tell if I will have any hangs with the Safariland loaders, but I have not yet and I practiced with them for an hour or so yesterday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Safariland speedloaders, eh? I'm going to have to look into these.

Thanks for the post.
    Retsupt99 - my pleasure. We are here to share our experiences and learn from each other. When I saw the improved loading speed, I figured I would share my experience with the group.

I love safariland speedloaders! I've been carrying the same two for about 3 years now and they haven't malfunctioned or spilled a round yet. HKS dumps rounds in my pocket... that's no good. Safariland is a bit faster on the reload as well. I thought I was the minority carrying safariland over HKS.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon86 View Post
    I thought I was the minority carrying safariland over HKS.
    Based on availability, SL carriers are probably in the minority compared to HKS carriers. I am not aware of a LGS in my area that carries SL loaders, but they all carry HKS. This is probably because HKS is a good bit (percentage wise) cheaper than SL. I got mine from Midway. On a $12 item, I will spend the extra few $$ to get the performance.

I prefer the HKS as well...I figure I hold the cylinder to reload anyways....and I am sort of rotating the bullets to get them to line up, so it's all part of the movement....the SL are an extra step to me...I have both, but prefer the HKS....
    Ex-MA Hole on THR and TFL, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links