Home made holsters. Any advice, tips, suggestions?

This is a discussion on Home made holsters. Any advice, tips, suggestions? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm kind of interested in making home made holsters. most likely leather and kydex hybrid. Anybody here experienced in that? Have any tips that I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Civil_Response

Thread: Home made holsters. Any advice, tips, suggestions?

I'm kind of interested in making home made holsters. most likely leather and kydex hybrid. Anybody here experienced in that? Have any tips that I should know? What should I expect? Thanks.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    To start with check out Old Faithful Holsters, they have do it yourself kits and instructions.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt

thanks
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Sponsor
    Are you a "gizmo" person? Is this a project that you are doing just to do or are you trying to save some money? Nothing wrong with saving a buck!
    If you are the guy that wants perfection then you may want to look into making a vacuum forming table. They can be made with a bit of work and not a lot of cash. The hybrid style holsters really benefit from the added close contours that a Vac table gives to a one sided form up. I experimented with hybrids and didn't get great results with the foam press method. You can make adjustments and spot corrections but the Vac tables just make a much nicer looking product in this direction.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

If you really want to make your own leather holsters you should take a leather crafting class. Check and see if you have a Tandy Leather Company and see if they have free classes, I did and have been doing leather projects since Sept, 2010.

SEE!!!!

hope this helps!!!

Check out the products available on knifekits.com for Kydex kits, as well as leather components. I have my first order of Kydex showing up today personally, and it's enough to make myself a couple, as well as at least two for a friend, two for family, etc. Photos, video and walkthroughs are in my future, hehe.

also if really interested checkout "leatherworker.net" there are some really good examples of what you can do and some really cool people to help you achieve what you want.

peace

I have found that it is just about as cost effective to buy a holster than it is to make your own. I had the same idea of building my own hybird holster then I came across Tommy Theis Holsters and for $50 shipped I had a new holster for my G30. Tommy even has some blem leather that he sell for less. After finding him I figured I was better off letting him make a few bucks and provid me with new holster.

I have no regrets with that decision.

Expect to spend a lot of money on supplies, and then more. It's addictive! You'll have a drawer full unused holsters in no time. ;)

Sponsored Links