Low cost "tactical" pants/shorts

This is a discussion on Low cost "tactical" pants/shorts within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a plug for Wrangler Original cargo pants. My wife gets mine at Target - I think they're only about $20. I had some older ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Low cost "tactical" pants/shorts

Low cost "tactical" pants/shorts

Just a plug for Wrangler Original cargo pants. My wife gets mine at Target - I think they're only about $20.

I had some older ones cut down to make them into shorts, as none of the cargo shorts I found had front pockets that were deep enough for my PM9. I use a safety pin in the bottom of the pocket to keep the pocket holster from tipping forward in the pocket. This makes for a more natural draw stroke.

Other shorts I tried had pockets that were so big that the holsters would flip over, unless I make the pocket smaller with stitches or a safety pin. They also had the cargo pockets outboard of the front pockets, so when both were loaded with stuff, they would stick way out and look weird. The cargo pockets on the Wrangler pants are below the front pockets, so they do not overlap.

The cargo pockets use velcro instead of buttons, which I like. As a civilian, I'm more interested in speed of access than I am in being stealthy - the velcro "riiip" noise doesn't bother me.

Finally, the cargo pockets have a neat little outer pocket, that fits a small clip-on flashlight perfectly.

So, if you want a less expensive way to carry all your CCW "stuff," or clothing that does not look too "tactical," check these out.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; June 7th, 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: more info, clarity
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

+1

These what I wear, 6 days a week.

I've been able to get an average of about 20 months life out of them. Not bad for $20
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

LA Police Gear has a decent house brand of Tactical pants that are a good substitute for 5.11.

LA Police Gear 5.11 Tactical, Galco, Maxpedition, Converse, Bates, Danner, Surefire and Blackhawk

Cool

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Wranglers shorts are all I wear when it comes to cargos. I love the front pockets and the fact there are 7 belt loops vs 5 on other brands of inexpensive shorts out there. I think it helps a lot with gun support IWB or OWB, and I use the outer pocket for my cell freeing up a pocket for a P3AT.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by ISR MATRIX View Post
    LA Police Gear has a decent house brand of Tactical pants that are a good substitute for 5.11.

LA Police Gear 5.11 Tactical, Galco, Maxpedition, Converse, Bates, Danner, Surefire and Blackhawk
    I had thought about those in the past, but they never seemed to have my size in stock.

My experience with buying clothing on-line has been poor...seems there is no substitute for actually trying them on in the store. YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Just a plug for Wrangler Original cargo pants. My wife gets mine at Target - I think they're only about $20.
    $18 at WalMart! :D

Can't beat the pants and shorts for the price. I have several pairs of the pants and the cargo shorts.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I just wear old navy cargos. 12 bucks

Mens Cargo Shorts | Old Navy - Free Shipping on $50

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I just wear old navy cargos. 12 bucks

Mens Cargo Shorts | Old Navy - Free Shipping on $50
    Nice, but how many belt loops to these have? That's the kicker for me.

Seven loops

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Seven loops
    I'll take a look. Always looking to save money, I'm lucky to get a full season out of a pair. Thanks.

I am hard on mine. I bought 6 pairs and only one has failed to last to the second season. Seasons here are pretty much 8 months long.

Good idea. I wiped out USCav's supply of 5.11 Academy shorts as my cargo shorts of choice. They were about $10 at the time and they work well.

I got a couple pair of the 5.11's on sale last year,they are made out of that propopylene material that is light and drys faster than cotton,so if your in a situation where you may be wading in water etc you won't get jungle rot as bad
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Even for girls - I get the men's at Walmart in......drum roll.....CAMMO. I like them because they are thin for summer, I like rolling them up for clam diggers or whatever they are called. The waist also fits nice and high for concealing the medium sized carry piece of choice.

I can also fit the LCP in a pocket holster right in that bottom cargo pocket, I played a round of golf and my husband never noticed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links