small EDC light advice ? - Page 2

small EDC light advice ?

This is a discussion on small EDC light advice ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Battery junction(my earlier links) is having a short 10% discount to celebrate the solstice. Coupon code: SUMMERSAVE...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: small EDC light advice ?

Sponsor
    Battery junction(my earlier links) is having a short 10% discount to celebrate the solstice. Coupon code: SUMMERSAVE
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The NEBO Redline is great. It's 220 lumens and has a couple different modes. I've ran it over with my truck a few times to prove a point to my brother and it still works great. It was only $20 too.

Go to Candlepower Forums and EDC they will bore with possibilities LOL

I use three for pure tactical power I use the Surefire E1L. I like it a lot. I bought my brother the Fenix LD20 and a friend the Olight T25T. The SF runs on 123a batteries whihc can be expensive and hard to find everywhere. The last two tun on AA and are hellatiously bright. So much so that I really didnt want to give them as gifts I just wanted to keep them for myself. LOL

I wear suits and need a light for searching pretty often in my job. The SF was wearing holes in my jeans rear pocket so I knew what it would do to my suits. In that role I switch from a Streamlight Stylus Pro and a Streamlight Micro Stream Both great lights and they run on AAA batteries. Plenty bright enough in most situations for casual use.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Fenix PD20 is what I carry daily. I would steer clear of 4Sevens horrible customer service. OMHO YMMV

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Might not be exactly what you want but I love my Streamlight PT2L.
    SCGunLover1

Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Take a look at the tactical lights here:

4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com

This outfit knows lights and you won't have to pay SureFire prices. I like the Quark series.

Quark Tactical - 4Sevens.Com
    - I'm also a fan of 4sevens lights. I EDC a Preon 1 and find it to be extremely bright. All in thickness of a Bic pen and half the height. I also carry a Quark 123 from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Fenix PD20 is what I carry daily. I would steer clear of 4Sevens horrible customer service. OMHO YMMV
    - I'm surprised by reports of bad customer service from 4sevens. I returned a flashlight because I ordered the wrong version and they were very helpful and quick. They were also very responsive to email questions that I had. I've also seen a lot of other good CS stories.

The best prices I have found on lights is usually Amazon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I'm also a fan of 4sevens lights. I EDC a Preon 1 and find it to be extremely bright. All in thickness of a Bic pen and half the height. I also carry a Quark 123 from time to time.

- I'm surprised by reports of bad customer service from 4sevens. I returned a flashlight because I ordered the wrong version and they were very helpful and quick. They were also very responsive to email questions that I had. I've also seen a lot of other good CS stories.
    4 months to fix a broken light when they were still selling them and they hardly responded to repeated emails and when they did the reply was we are very busy your light is in the "que".

Thanks folks, you have given me some outlets to surf away my time making this decision.
    TSiWRX I am a technician for a access technologies company so I end up sticking my head in the ceiling tiles of alot of places when I'm not "totin' my tool pouch".
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Ah, gotcha.

Yep, you'll want a light that's not *TOO* bright, then.

Our school's master carpenter came up to our lab to do some work for us the other day, and had to get into the drop-ceiling space to verify stud location. I pulled out my Z2-S to give him a hand, and he just laughed at me. I offered to hand it up to him, but he said that with all the pipework and exposed metalwork, it would just blind him. I agreed.

For EDC, the lower-powered lights are truly best, as they also increase run-time dramatically.

If you can find something that "ramps" from high to low (or low to high) in a reflexive manner (i.e. that you don't need to juggle switchgear or keep pressing buttons), I think that would be most useful, in terms of a cross between your daily needs and your SD one.

Alternatively, consider carrying two. That way, you'll also always have a backup!

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ Ah, gotcha.

Yep, you'll want a light that's not *TOO* bright, then.

Our school's master carpenter came up to our lab to do some work for us the other day, and had to get into the drop-ceiling space to verify stud location. I pulled out my Z2-S to give him a hand, and he just laughed at me. I offered to hand it up to him, but he said that with all the pipework and exposed metalwork, it would just blind him. I agreed.

For EDC, the lower-powered lights are truly best, as they also increase run-time dramatically.

If you can find something that "ramps" from high to low (or low to high) in a reflexive manner (i.e. that you don't need to juggle switchgear or keep pressing buttons), I think that would be most useful, in terms of a cross between your daily needs and your SD one.

Alternatively, consider carrying two. That way, you'll also always have a backup!
    That is why I carry the pd20. Clicky on the back and to go to high you have to rotate the head a great UI IMHO.

Energizer 1watt at Target for $15. It uses common single AA battery. Very bright for its size. I have had mine on my Keychain since November 2010 and it is still working great. I hope this helps. God Bless

nice cheap edc light FOUND!

I now carry a Maratec AA from County Comm. This has to be one of the brightest flashlights I have ever seen. Nice and compact too.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    That is why I carry the pd20. Clicky on the back and to go to high you have to rotate the head a great UI IMHO.
    For me, it was a lack of discipline that was the problem - operator error, mine and mine alone. I'd often forget to turn the P2D back to the high/strobe output setting, before returning it to its pocket/sheath.

So, I now end up carrying two (one for utility, one for SD). But I don't mind, as I'm a confessed flashaholic.

VIP Member
    Some guided low-light shooting with flashlight techniques this weekend taught me some things:
    1) low light is a huge challenge to 120 lumens. A lumen strength of 180 is probably not enough either as 200 lumens is barely adequate for wide sweeping / target illumination; and 2) for self-defense, that max output must be available on the first gross motor skill movement; and 3) A lanyard enables working with weapon reloading / malfunction clearance while keeping the light, literally, close at hand.
    Diamond-pattern stippling on the metal case to makes it manageable with blood or other slippery conditions on it, and get a light with a bezel with self-defense "teeth".
    The suspiciously low priced Nebo 5557 Redline Adjustable Beam 220 Lumen lacks an ultra-low output (below a room-illuminating 22 lumens).
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links