small EDC light advice ?

This is a discussion on small EDC light advice ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; lil help here, I want an every day carry pocket size tactical light. I really know nothing about them. But I want a very small ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: small EDC light advice ?

small EDC light advice ?

lil help here, I want an every day carry pocket size tactical light. I really know nothing about them. But I want a very small but obviously bright one how are the Fenix PD 20 or the Streamlight PT1L anyone have either of these ? Who has the best prices ? Kind of a multi purpose purchase because I need one from time to time at work also.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

2. Remove Ads

I carry a maratac AAA in my pocket AAA Maratac Flashlight

Personally I have carried a Surefire 6Z for some time and have been happy with it. They are a little spendy and the batteries are not cheap, but if your use is infrequent they are a good light. It also conforms to the light shooting technique that I prefer.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I really like the Fenix line of lights. I have several though I don't have a PD20. When I considered my EDC light one of my considerations was what type of batteries it used. I wanted something that ran off of batteries I could find anywhere. So I went with the Fenix LD10 which is a single AA light. I run it on rechargeable AA's which save me even more $$$ on batteries. Good luck with your search.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Sponsor
    Fenix PD30, Lumapower Encore, Lumapower Trust

All nice lights. I actually have the PD31 but they are not available anymore. Basically the PD30 that can use the 18650 rechargables as well as the CR123 cells. The PD31 is by far the brightest and the Encore the slimmest. There is also a CREE light from S&W. It's not as versatile with only a single output level but a nice small and fairly bright light.

ETA:
    I see there is another light from S&W (I have the smaller of the 2)
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Distinguished Member
    Novatac 120T has three output levels plus (brightest level) strobe and bevelled end for kubotan self defense. I EDC mine in a holster, though it comes with a (removable) clip. Got it on ebay for under a hundred, but usually over a hundred on Amazon.
    Please know that the light-as-self-defense feature is highly dependent on a very low-light or Extremely Close Quarters self-defense.
    I often use the lowest output level of .3 lumens in places as discreet as a concert hall or movie house like an usher's light. 10 lumens is good for typical flashlight work. 120 ain't good for nothing but go time.
    The strobe really is disorienting but not counting on it except as trained which is none.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i have a older 2-123 battery stream light. as you say, i use it around the house & for needing a strong light. i also practice with it weak hand and gun strong for clearing the house and IDPA nite games. i don't go along with weapon mounted lights cause it has you to be pointing the gun at what you are lighting up---and that may be a toddler or a legitimate guest.

there are newer led type and i will follow this thread also. 120-T looks interesting.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro

I have had it for a while, and I use it everyday.

I had it for about a year, when the tail-cap button stopped working properly. It's supposed to work as a sustained switch; click on/ click off. But, it was only working as a momentary switch; it would only light while the button was depressed.

Now, this may not be a big deal to anybody, but I use the light for a lot of other things besides a self-defense supplement. I need hands-free operations.

I emailed Streamlight and explained that the switch wasn't working properly, and asked if I could just purchase a new tail-switch or something without having to buy a new light. They responded and said that if I would provide my mailing address, they would just send me a new tail-cap.

Excellent customer service
    Last edited by zacii; June 20th, 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: underline hyperlink and adjust color for better viewing :\
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

ladams-sharkbite-p3at-flash-800x600.jpgmark-o-sharkbite-800x600.jpg have the pocket holster ordered already and looking to add the mag/flashlight carrier to the order but the lights I currently own are gonna be larger then I want for this set up. I might add the spare mag going in this carrier will be for a S&W Bodyguard .380 so thats why I'm downsizing. and thanks luvmy40 that small S&W light would make a suitable pairing with the other S&W products in my pocket hahaha
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

JD
    Administrator
    I've been carrying the PT1L for a while now and really like it. A co-worker found a site with pretty good pricing, don't recall where it was, will post back tomorrow with the URL.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerbnb View Post
    ladams-sharkbite-p3at-flash-800x600.jpgI have the pocket holster ordered already and looking to add the mag/flashlight carrier to the order but the lights I currently own are gonna be larger then I want for this set up.
    Seems the way that the mag hangs over the flashlight would risk snagging when fast-drawing the light.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Cool

I use the Sure Fire E2D. It has bezels with aggressive edges that can be used as a weapon and a pocket clip. Bright LED light. I added the lanyard.

P19174232.jpg
    click to enlarge...
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Deerbnb - There are sooooooooo many good choices available now, it's hard to even know where to start.

I'd recommend attacking this in a two-headed approach:

First, set a budget for yourself. How much are you willing to spend? Remember, since you're going to be using this for work, you might well end up misplacing it - that should factor-in to your budgeting, too.

On the other hand (head? ), let's also get you to refine your usage criteria, too.

You say that you want a "tactical" light. For most of us, this would suggest that you want something that's going to be in the 60 to 120 lumen output range, minimum. But at the same time, you specified "work" - what type of work? If you're doing something where there's a lot of potentially shiny and reflective surfaces, up-close to your face, that "tactical" output may be the last thing that you'd want to have, as the back-scatter glare can be annoying, to say the least. Similarly, for "EDC," there are a lot of situations for which a lower-powered light that lasts longer (either bulb burn-time or battery life [yes, even in this day and age of ultra-efficient LEDs, this can still be a concern]) may be a better choice. Even then, there's still other considerations - think that you can go with a variable-output light? how does that light "ramp"/function? in an emergency situation where you're pulling the light out, are you going to want to cycle through a battery of brightnesses just to get to your "tactical" functions?

Of-course, aside from these concerns, there's also the carry-ability of the light you choose. Sure, a Surefire Z2-S LED may be an awesome light for defensive purposes, but it's carry will come with compromises: it's quite a bit larger than what most would desire, it doesn't have a clip - and thus will require that you add an aftermarket or go with some kind of carrier; and for a modern high-dollar LED, it sure isn't very miserly on the batteries. I love mine and EDC mine 99% of the time, but is it the right solution for everyone or every purpose? no. (Oh, and another example - this was the light I used in a recent low-light class, which took place outdoors and in the rain: I can tell you that with a "white-wall'ed" structure or any kind of reflective surface, you'd better be prepared for the back-glare.) On the other hand, I love the Fenix P2D so much that I actually have 4 of them (hey, the price was right!), their multi-level settings makes them awesome in terms of utility and versatility, and their high output/tactical strobe function works just as well as the much pricier Z2-S's. Yet, without a clip, I used to carry mine either in my pocket (not great for getting out in a hurry, even with a lanyard pull attached) or in a small TAD Gear pouch on my belt, and since I used it often for "utility" purposes, it was really never always ready-to-rock, on its tactical/HI settings.

As with many things concealed-carry, there's a lot of factors to consider, and you'll have to pick what compromises work best for you.

Take a look at the tactical lights here:

4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com

This outfit knows lights and you won't have to pay SureFire prices. I like the Quark series.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_306
    claude clay and surefire7 like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Take a look at the tactical lights here:

4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com

This outfit knows lights and you won't have to pay SureFire prices. I like the Quark series.

Quark Tactical - 4Sevens.Com
    AA2, uses std recharagable batteries but its 25 lumins less, but not a deal breaker....im placing my order today
    thank you chasbo00
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links