Snap caps

This is a discussion on Snap caps within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; mine are not weighted....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Snap caps

mine are not weighted.

2. Remove Ads

I'm thinking of getting some snap caps for my wife and I to practice with. Anyone hear of this brand?

http://www.stactionpro.com/action-tr...77990d805c6384
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I just bought some snap caps to practice speedloader reloads with.

I use the ones made by Triple K. I have heard good things about the A-Zoom brand too. Here is a link to the Triple K and a picture of mine in .40 cal.

Gun Holsters and Gun Magazines by Triple K :: Plastic Snap Caps

"He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I have snap caps in .308 for my PTR91... I like to put them in there for simulation of a bad round and to help me with weapons malnfunction drills. They're great.

While I use snap caps for a number of things, I don't use them for revolver reloading practice, due to the light weight. I take expended cases, leave the expended primer and load new slugs with no powder.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I actually started with 12 gauge snap caps to practice various things, dead round, unloading, etc. Great tool, highly recommend them as they can be extremely versatile and safe.
    BigJon

I have been using them in all of my pistols/rifles.. I prefer the A Zoom by brand. They are aluminum, maroon in color, and a decent weight..
    Phoenixx6 likes this.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I'm too cheap/poor to buy snap caps I just make dummy rounds when I reload and use those until the bullet pushes in too far and then bang em out and re-seat them. I do need to get a set of real snap caps, one day maybe. I throw the dummy rounds in the mags of my friends when we're @ the range. It's a great training tool. I sometimes put them in a new shooter's mag so they can easily see what I mean when I tell them they are anticipating the recoil and dumping their shots.

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    I was wondering if any one as use these. I just bought some today they seam pretty cool. They do work for trigger control, training, and to practice loading.
    I have them for my various .380 and 9mm pistols. I use them for training, such as my daughter, or other friends and relatives who are interested. That way they can learn how the rounds are loaded, chambered, and ejected. I also use them for practice when drawing and firing at home. I also use them sometimes after cleaning my guns. That way I can feed several rounds through to make sure I put everything back together correctly.

They don't actually make them for .22 or any other rimfire products as far I can see. I have some dummy rounds for .22 but they say specifically not to fire the gun because the firing pin will dent the dummy round. I guess it is because it is hard to make a rimfire with a rubber rim.

Nothing wrong with this. If I did did reloading I'd take dummy rounds in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    I'm too cheap/poor to buy snap caps I just make dummy rounds when I reload and use those until the bullet pushes in too far and then bang em out and re-seat them. I do need to get a set of real snap caps, one day maybe. I throw the dummy rounds in the mags of my friends when we're @ the range. It's a great training tool. I sometimes put them in a new shooter's mag so they can easily see what I mean when I tell them they are anticipating the recoil and dumping their shots.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    I was wondering if any one as use these. I just bought some today they seam pretty cool. They do work for trigger control, training, and to practice loading.
    Yeah, have someone stick 2 into every magazine in a random place. Just wish the suckers were cheaper though.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Have always used snap caps on my double shotguns,guess I'll get some for my handguns to.

Ex Member
    I use them for the .22 but that's it.

I do the same thing as Chevyguy. I just load some various bullets in empty cases, and fill the primer pockets with silicone sealant. Works good to for tuning extractors and such without having to use live ammo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links