Snap caps

Snap caps

This is a discussion on Snap caps within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if any one as use these. I just bought some today they seam pretty cool. They do work for trigger control, training, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Snap caps

Snap caps

I was wondering if any one as use these. I just bought some today they seam pretty cool. They do work for trigger control, training, and to practice loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I use them in various calibers for different weapons. Handy training devices, in addition to insurance to prevent damage to weapons.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Couldn't find a 3 or 5 pak at the gun show so had to buy just 1. I've about worn it out practicing dry-firing various range guns, great to get a feel for staging the trigger and the break without worrying about your firing pin.

Yes. I use them for training and sometimes we load them randomly into each others mag to practice tap rack ready.
    Phoenixx6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 9c4me View Post
    Couldn't find a 3 or 5 pak at the gun show so had to buy just 1. I've about worn it out practicing dry-firing various range guns, great to get a feel for staging the trigger and the break without worrying about your firing pin.
    If you have a bass pro shop any way close to you that were I got mine. If you don't let me know and next time I'm out there I can see if they have the one you need. If you want more of them.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Great for the range and dry fire! We load each other's magazine at the range so we don't know when we'll have a FTF. Does give you a read on flinching! You can order from Lyman's online.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Thats funny what do you guys do mix them in with real ammno.

Yup, I mix mine in in too. Great for training.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by JDlewis View Post
    Thats funny what do you guys do mix them in with real ammno.
    At the range yes, they're excellent for simulating a malfunction (and if there is one mixed into the middle of a dozen magazines you don't know when that click with no boom is coming) and when you get the malfunction if your compensating for recoil it will show big time. I also use them as recommended by Glock to protect the breech face during dry fire practice, when I first started shooting they helped me develop a smooth trigger pull so I can get past where the trigger "breaks" without my sight picture wavering.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    At the range yes, they're excellent for simulating a malfunction (and if there is one mixed into the middle of a dozen magazines you don't know when that click with no boom is coming) and when you get the malfunction if your compensating for recoil it will show big time. I also use them as recommended by Glock to protect the breech face during dry fire practice, when I first started shooting they helped me develop a smooth trigger pull so I can get past where the trigger "breaks" without my sight picture wavering.
    That a good idea. When I got home I unload my magazine and stuck them in it. I was messing around dry firing it and working on trigger control.

GM
    I use them when I dry fire at home and I mix them with live ammo when at the range.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

They are also good for reloading practice so your not chambering a live round.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Yup.

The "ball and dummy" drill is awesome at both malfunction clearance as well as highlighting any basic deficiencies you may have in terms of trigger control. I love it.

It's even possible (albeit a little silly looking) to do it to yourself.

For safety, you obviously can't load the magazines with your eyes closed....

But you can bring along a pillowcase or the like, and after loading your magazines, simply give the pillowcase a few good twists. Set down and "unwind" the pillowcase thereafter, and you will have a random mix. Three or four mags will work just fine, but the more you have, the better the mix.

I use them for function/action-proving as well as to run basic manipulation drills and dry-fire at-home. I really like the A-Zoom, except for their super-heavy 12-gauge rounds. Those things will put a dent in your toes!!!!

I used them in my Sigma, then I just removed one of the trigger springs. I do still use them to practice clearing rounds from time to time.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I keep them in everything.
    Cheap insurance.

By the way, don't use "weighted dummy rounds".
    Someone recommended them to me since they are also the weight of a real cartridge,
    but beside being VERY expensive, they have no primer pocket, so you can't dry fire them.

Anyone want some?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links