Electronic Hearing Protection

This is a discussion on Electronic Hearing Protection within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, If you use electronic hearing protection (Muffs) which brand / manufacturer do you use? It would be great if any of you could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Electronic Hearing Protection

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

Hello everyone,
    If you use electronic hearing protection (Muffs) which brand / manufacturer do you use? It would be great if any of you could provide a site link. Thanks,
    SCGunLover1

I have 2 sets one cost like 20.00 at midway USA the other set cost like 65.00 at a gun show,I don't know the brands off hand but one thing I can tell you is the cheap set will literally shut off all noise when there is a gunshot and then come back on,the expensive set seems to filter out any noise above X decibel level so you can still hear normal conversation
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

MSA Sordin Supreme Pro - MSA Sordin Supreme Pro IV

Pricey, but well worth it. Good battery life (esp. with lithium batteries), dual microphones and good cancelling of impulsive sounds.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I use http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104381280Howard Leight Impact Sport.

They work pretty well, and they're not as expensive as some.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I use a set of Peltors. Just google it. Uses 9v. battery and works pretty well. I think the set I got were about $150.00. All purchase reviews I read were 5 star.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I got rid of every pair of peltor Tacs that I had and replace all of them with Howard Leight Impact Sports. Better cut off and quicker return, better amplification, and TONS easier battery replacement. They also have great stereo separation so it's natural to determine what direction the sounds are coming from. They are more comfortable and can be worn for long periods without feeling like your head is in a vise.

I just decided to order some HL Impact Sports since guys at the range give them a thumbs up. Here's the best deal I've found- http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-.../dp/B001T7QJ9O

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Dillon at 135 are top shelf. talk and at a shot miss half a syllable
    pelter at 65 filter much more....back up and loaners for instructing.
    below that the batteries tend to be the most valuable item aboard.

some govt i have had the pleasure to play with so far have always been remembered when the people left.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I use Cabela's: Howard Leight Impact™ Sport EarmuffHoward Leight Impact Sport.

They work pretty well, and they're not as expensive as some.
    Like several on this thread and in other communities, I also use the Howard Leight Impact Sports.

I lucked-into it, on-sale, at just around $40, shipped.

Virtually anything at less than the top-tier price range, when you search online, you'll find plenty that's both positive and plenty that's negative: unfortunately, that's the way of the Internet - it tends to catch more negatives, a gathering for the vocal few. Nevertheless, there's also consistency to the various complaints about the different units at this level, including the Howard Leights, that made it quite concerning for me, as I did my pre-purchase research.

At the price I got it for, though, I really didn't have much to lose. So far, it's worked out pretty darned well. It's my primary-use (I also own a Caldwell E-Max, which I keep in the range-bag as a backup/loaner), and since November, it's seen hundreds of hours of usage, including one night's worth of torrential rain that soaked the four hardcore participants' clothing (the other guys were former military and current-LEO, so they were all in their Mil-Spec gear, I was in top-line civilian hiking/outdoor gear - we were all equally drenched) all the way down to our skivvies.

Outdoor, they work great, with pretty good stereo/directional discrimination. Indoors, they are OK - their "low profile" configuration, while allowing for excellent "shouldering," makes for less absolute insulation material, and "bigger guns" in adjacent indoor range stalls could make the more blast-sensitive somewhat uncomfortable. I'm not particularly sensitive to such, but I like to have it quiet so that I can get my work done, and as such, tend to double-plug (with a set of SureFire EP3s) to achieve maximum comfort.

Mainly, I like electronic protection because they allow me to crank up the amplification so that I can really hear range commands. I find that very comforting, as it then allows me to focus more intently on the skills that I'm trying to learn/improve.

I'll likely get myself a set of the big-boys stuff (ProEars Gold, MSAs, etc.) some time down the line, but for now, when I'm spending more money on ammo and class registration, I'm still completely happy with the Howard Leights.
    9c4me likes this.

RKM
    I have the cheapest ones I could find. Caldwell. They work as advertised, but I'm totally certain there is better out there. As long I don't know how much better the nicer ones are, these will do just fine for $30 :)

Quote Originally Posted by 9c4me View Post
    I just decided to order some HL Impact Sports since guys at the range give them a thumbs up. Here's the best deal I've found- http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-.../dp/B001T7QJ9O
    +1. I own two of these. Best value, for the features offered IMHO. And they use AAA batteries with auto off feature.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I have the cheapest ones I could find. Caldwell. They work as advertised, but I'm totally certain there is better out there. As long I don't know how much better the nicer ones are, these will do just fine for $30 :)
    +1 on the Caldwells...they function fine for me and the price was outstanding! Less expensive so I can dedicate more money to range ammo
    Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (1959). If you haven't heard it, go listen!

The Howard Leight is the set I got for $60 or $70 at a gun show and they work great
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Peltors here, spent about $110 8-9 years ago...time for a new set.
    Gasmitty's selection looks interesting...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gone thru 2 Peltors and have a pair from Harbor Freight. HF's pair, like has been said, cuts out more conversation due to gunshots, but not sure Peltors are worth the extra bucks and they haven't lasted as long as I expected for the price. About to get a pair from a different mfr with a higher NRR, can't remember the name, and will report back. I always wear plugs and muffs and turn the volume up to hear conversations and range commands - it can also help to figure out when there's a noob or bad attitude on the range next to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links