Shooting Glasses

This is a discussion on Shooting Glasses within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n Whoever gave you that information were incorrect. I wear bifocals, and have progressive lenses for my regular glasses is with progressive ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shooting Glasses

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Whoever gave you that information were incorrect.

I wear bifocals, and have progressive lenses for my regular glasses is with progressive lenses which is essentially a trifocal. Getting the progressive lenses, along with the light adjusting lens (similar to transitions) would have added quite a bit more to the Wiley-X so I chose to just get them set up for my distance vision.

If I had it to do over, I would opt for the progressive RX with the smoke grey lens as a dedicated sunglass. As I said, the light adjusting lens does not get as dark as the smoke grey. But they do enough in bright sunlight to be of decent benefit.

I did however get some cool Ray Ban original Wayfarer's with prescription lenses for use in the sun. So I use my Wiley-X as dedicated shooting glasses/safety goggles.
    It was a prescription specific issue. They do make Wiley trifocals; just not possible with my prescription, or so the optical shop folks claimed.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    One note about the over-the-glasses eye protection is that you cannot use them with earmuff style ear pro. It breaks the "seal" the muffs make over your ears, and allow a lot of noise in. For this reason, I don't use eye pro at the range aside from my glasses. I wish I could use something, but things are too expensive. I suppose I do run the risk of breaking my expensive glasses. So far I haven't had any issues, except the occasional piece of brass that comes back and bounces off the frame of my glasses.
    I have the same problem when I wear my regular glasses with shooting glasses over them. Luckily, the ear plugs I use have about the same decibel rating as my muffs, so I just wear plugs.

Another vote for the ESS line I really like my ESS ICE.

kay

I have a pair of ESS shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses as well as the prescription insert.

Here is a YouTube video on the lens: ‪ESS ICE NARO Ballistics Glasses Stress test‬‏ - YouTube
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I really wanted to get those, but alas, my prescription was just a bit too funky....

But I am happy with what I ended-up with.

I got a set of Bolle Vigilantes, with four sets of lenses, for just under $115, and a prescription insert for those glasses for just under $90. I placed the order through OpticsPlanet, online, on Saturday - and I received the prescription inserts yesterday (Wed.), and the glasses today (Thurs.), all with their free shipping. I was expecting a much longer wait (actually, these beat my new prescription casuals, which I'd placed the order last Friday from a local optician's), but the lenses came perfect to my prescription via the Zeiss labs, courtesy of FedEx Priority Overnight that I didn't even have to pay for!

As with many Chinese, I have a fairly wide face. My PD is 72 mm (evenly divided at 36 on each side). This is also a part of the reason why I went with the Vigilantes, which, in all honesty, are quite large and 80s Terminator-esque, but I wanted shooting glasses specifically for their extended coverage, since I had a close-call with a spent casing at one of my recent indoor tutorial classes, when I wasn't wearing a billed ballcap.

My only complaint currently is that the curvature of the prescription adapter, combined with my rather flat and wide face, causes the tops of the lenses to come very close to my upper eyelids (for most Caucasians and African Americans, this should not be a problem, even if you have a wide face, your higher nose bridge and more prominent brow-line should mean that your eyes/lids are will recessed from the glasses' inner surface. Although this should mean that I won't have to worry about any casings sneaking through, it brings up the possibility of fogging.... I have a training class in two weeks, so we'll see how it goes, then.

Serengeti Large Aviators.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Now that's old-school. My father still has his pair. Plano glass - the old man has always had perfect eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    I really wanted to get those, but alas, my prescription was just a bit too funky....

But I am happy with what I ended-up with.

I got a set of Bolle Vigilantes, with four sets of lenses, for just under $115, and a prescription insert for those glasses for just under $90. I placed the order through OpticsPlanet, online, on Saturday - and I received the prescription inserts yesterday (Wed.), and the glasses today (Thurs.), all with their free shipping. I was expecting a much longer wait (actually, these beat my new prescription casuals, which I'd placed the order last Friday from a local optician's), but the lenses came perfect to my prescription via the Zeiss labs, courtesy of FedEx Priority Overnight that I didn't even have to pay for!

As with many Chinese, I have a fairly wide face. My PD is 72 mm (evenly divided at 36 on each side). This is also a part of the reason why I went with the Vigilantes, which, in all honesty, are quite large and 80s Terminator-esque, but I wanted shooting glasses specifically for their extended coverage, since I had a close-call with a spent casing at one of my recent indoor tutorial classes, when I wasn't wearing a billed ballcap.

My only complaint currently is that the curvature of the prescription adapter, combined with my rather flat and wide face, causes the tops of the lenses to come very close to my upper eyelids (for most Caucasians and African Americans, this should not be a problem, even if you have a wide face, your higher nose bridge and more prominent brow-line should mean that your eyes/lids are will recessed from the glasses' inner surface. Although this should mean that I won't have to worry about any casings sneaking through, it brings up the possibility of fogging.... I have a training class in two weeks, so we'll see how it goes, then.
    Just an update: went through the class I mentioned, with the new glasses.

Absolutely fantastic - very comfortable (8-hour class), and easy on-off for when you have to mop up sweat. No distortion noted - this was an "intermediate" level class, shooting-on-the-move with a lot of BSA drills: I noted no problems with my vision.

For the cost, I think they're hard to beat.

My vote is for the Oakley M-Frame line. I have been wearing Oakley's for about 15 years and haven't had a pair of sungalsse or shooting glasses come close to being as comfortable or functional. (ESS, Wiley X, Etc.) I do wish they still made the baseball frames though. Curently have the clear and smoke lenses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links