Shooting Glasses

Shooting Glasses

This is a discussion on Shooting Glasses within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Years ago, I had a set of Oakley wrap around glasses that had prescription inserts that fit in them. I am again looking for such ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shooting Glasses

VIP Member

Shooting Glasses

Years ago, I had a set of Oakley wrap around glasses that had prescription inserts that fit in them. I am again looking for such a set-up. I have found Wiley X to have this type of a set up, but thought I would tap into the knowlege base here. Specifically, I am looking for glasses that have interchangeable non-prescription lenses that come in clear and grey (or some other sunglass color). These would have a related prescription that works with them, generally, by replacing the nose piece. The glasses need to be safety glass rated as well. I appreciate any input y'all might have.

Page 16 in the Wiley X Catalogue shows one such set-up. http://www.wileyx.com/catalogs/pdfs/...al_Catalog.pdf
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I still think that Oakley is the best when it comes to ballistic eyewear. And have friends who still have eyes thanks to Oakley's stuff.

Honestly, I was never too impressed with Wiley X's eyewear, it didn't seem as durable. They had some good gloves, but eye wear didn't seem up to snuff with what Oakley put out. Of course, it was less expensive generally too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    have a friend measure as you hold an unloaded hand gun out towards a target. 36 to 40 inches is average, front sight to strong eye pistol or carbine.
    than have your eye doc make the strong side lens focus at that distance. many dedicated shooters like an extra pair of custom shooting glasses.
    if you use scopes and/or red dots a lot, usefulness decreases as does there cost effectiveness.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Senior Moderator
    I bought the Rudy Project Shooting Kit at 40% off (right now they are offering up to 50% off!). Because I, too, need prescription glasses and some prescription shooting glasses (with only a single pair of lenses) were ranging into the $500+ range and this seemed like a much better deal. I got the prescription inserts and spent a little extra on a set of the specialized IMPACT polarized lenses to snap in. In total I probably spent around $500 for the whole schebang but I ended up with the prescription insert and six different interchangeable lenses which is pretty much like having six different pairs of glasses. Not bad, says I!

I LOVE THIS KIT!!!

I really cannot say enough about it. It entirely adjustable (nose and arms) and the lenses wrap around nicely to keep out light and dust and brass for great protection and with it already coming with five different lens colors (clear, yellow, racing red, action brown and laser copper) there is no light condition that you won't have a lens for.

I have taken these to all day classes that have started in the morning and started with one lens or on days where it started cloudy and I needed another and as it got brighter or the clouds cleared I've been able to easily switch out lenses without having to worry about having another pair of glasses handy. And if the class then goes to no light or low light, I can switch to clear lenses as well. Very versatile!

I love these so much I wear them as standard sun glasses most of the time.

The box tells you all about the different lenses and what light conditions they are ideal for. They also are guaranteed so that if they scratch they will send you a replacement set of lenses for free.

I'd strongly recommend these glasses!

Probably not quite what you are looking for but I found these OTG glasses from NRA to be an excellent bargain. These fit over your regular prescription glasses.
    http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...ories/SA%20446
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Years ago, I had a set of Oakley wrap around glasses that had prescription inserts that fit in them. I am again looking for such a set-up. I have found Wiley X to have this type of a set up, but thought I would tap into the knowlege base here. Specifically, I am looking for glasses that have interchangeable non-prescription lenses that come in clear and grey (or some other sunglass color). These would have a related prescription that works with them, generally, by replacing the nose piece. The glasses need to be safety glass rated as well. I appreciate any input y'all might have.

Page 16 in the Wiley X Catalogue shows one such set-up. http://www.wileyx.com/catalogs/pdfs/...al_Catalog.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I still think that Oakley is the best when it comes to ballistic eyewear. And have friends who still have eyes thanks to Oakley's stuff.

Honestly, I was never too impressed with Wiley X's eyewear, it didn't seem as durable. They had some good gloves, but eye wear didn't seem up to snuff with what Oakley put out. Of course, it was less expensive generally too.

I have a pair of the original Wiley X model XL-1 with the light adjusting prescription lenses. They are excellent but cost $300 with my prescription and the light adjusting lens.

If you get prescription lenses, you lose the adjustable lens swap out feature because they will glue your prescription lens into the frame. The light adjusting lens does not get anywhere near as dark as the smoke grey lens, but I wanted to be able to wear them shooting in all light conditions and not just have a dark sunglass. I wear them on float trips, and lots of outdoor activities besides shooting.

The new model XL-1's have replaceable rubber gaskets so if you notch them out to allow more ventilation, you can get a replacement set.

I like the XL-1's because they look like cool sunglasses, but with the gasket around the lens and using the T-adapter head strap which snaps into the side of the side temples you get a true goggle out of them for complete eye protection. So far I only use the head strap when on float trips or fishing so I don't lose them in the river. But they grip your head pretty snugly without the head strap.

buckeye .45, check out the XL-1's. I think you find them every bit as durable as the Oakley's. I agree, several of the other Wiley-X models seem pretty flimsy. I passed on several others until finding the XL-1's.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One note about the over-the-glasses eye protection is that you cannot use them with earmuff style ear pro. It breaks the "seal" the muffs make over your ears, and allow a lot of noise in. For this reason, I don't use eye pro at the range aside from my glasses. I wish I could use something, but things are too expensive. I suppose I do run the risk of breaking my expensive glasses. So far I haven't had any issues, except the occasional piece of brass that comes back and bounces off the frame of my glasses.

This what I use as sunglasses and shooting glasses over my prescription glasses. They are about $40-50. They come in many different sizes and colors and the lenses can snapped out and changed.

Cocoons Eyewear - Fit Over Sunglasses, Clip-Ons and 3D Eyewear

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    One note about the over-the-glasses eye protection is that you cannot use them with earmuff style ear pro.
    That might be the case for some models but I haven't had a problem with mine. They fit over my ear like any other eye protection/prescription eyeglasses and don't cause a problem with my Peltor's.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    Thanks to all who responded. I am still in search of my solution, but the input here has been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Thanks, I will look at the Oakley stuff. I had originally gone to their site and did not see the prescription option, but I will re-look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I bought the Rudy Project Shooting Kit at 40% off (right now they are offering up to 50% off!).

I LOVE THIS KIT!!!
    Lima - these look great. Unfortunately, I wear tri-focals and need bi-focal (distance and mid range) in my shooting glasses. When I went to the site you linked, they noted that they are accepting single vision prescription only at this time. They are a sweet looking option for single vision prescriptions though, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Probably not quite what you are looking for but I found these OTG glasses from NRA to be an excellent bargain. These fit over your regular prescription glasses.
    http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...ories/SA%20446
    These could be an option. They would not be my first choice and I will have to see if they are big enough to fit over my regular glasses, which are pretty much full size to accommodate the tri-focal lenses. If I can't find what I am looking for, I may come back to this option. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have a pair of the original Wiley X model XL-1 with the light adjusting prescription lenses. They are excellent but cost $300 with my prescription and the light adjusting lens.

If you get prescription lenses, you lose the adjustable lens swap out feature because they will glue your prescription lens into the frame. The light adjusting lens does not get anywhere near as dark as the smoke grey lens, but I wanted to be able to wear them shooting in all light conditions and not just have a dark sunglass. I wear them on float trips, and lots of outdoor activities besides shooting.

The new model XL-1's have replaceable rubber gaskets so if you notch them out to allow more ventilation, you can get a replacement set.

I like the XL-1's because they look like cool sunglasses, but with the gasket around the lens and using the T-adapter head strap which snaps into the side of the side temples you get a true goggle out of them for complete eye protection. So far I only use the head strap when on float trips or fishing so I don't lose them in the river. But they grip your head pretty snugly without the head strap.

buckeye .45, check out the XL-1's. I think you find them every bit as durable as the Oakley's. I agree, several of the other Wiley-X models seem pretty flimsy. I passed on several others until finding the XL-1's.
    Thanks for the info. From their web site, it appears that you can now get prescription inserts that work with multiple sunglass lenses - the prescription insert appears to fit behind the sunglass and protective lens. These are still very much in the running for me at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    This what I use as sunglasses and shooting glasses over my prescription glasses. They are about $40-50. They come in many different sizes and colors and the lenses can snapped out and changed.

Cocoons Eyewear - Fit Over Sunglasses, Clip-Ons and 3D Eyewear

Bobo
    Thanks for the option. I have a pair of cocoons that I got at Bass Pro. I use them when I can use a sunglass for protection on the range. The problem is when I need a clear lens to protect. These are a very good option when the sun is shining.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I attempted to buy a pair of the Wiley X glasses a few months back but was told they couldn't do it in tri-focals for my prescription.

I wound up with a completely different no brand sport glasses in bi-focal, from Sams, with polycarbonate photochromic lenses. These have a cloth band to hold them in place so ear protection fits well over, and the polycarbonate safety lenses are going to be adequate for all but the worst catastrophic oops at the range.

With some hindsight, I am now glad I didn't get the Wiley. If we are speaking of the same glasses and design I think the seal would cause too much fogging.

The pair I did get still fogs some, but there is a lot more space open on the side for air circulation.

I find I use my sports glasses extensively for all manner of stuff. They provide much better eye protection than regular stylish frames and don't fall off when I am being very active.

I would not recommend spending money on the photochromic lenses. IMO they don' work very well, don't provide good sun/glare protection, and can't be used for driving on sunny days because UV is needed to make them turn dark and the car glass blocks the UV.

Now, what I have found works for my situation is 3 pair. One for regular use in trifocal. One with polarized lenses in bi-focal for driving. And, one set in the traditional sports design, also with bi-focals.

The Wiley system is certainly cool looking and well made, but I think I made the right decision not getting them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I attempted to buy a pair of the Wiley X glasses a few months back but was told they couldn't do it in tri-focals for my prescription.

I wound up with a completely different no brand sport glasses in bi-focal, from Sams, with polycarbonate photochromic lenses. These have a cloth band to hold them in place so ear protection fits well over, and the polycarbonate safety lenses are going to be adequate for all but the worst catastrophic oops at the range.

With some hindsight, I am now glad I didn't get the Wiley. If we are speaking of the same glasses and design I think the seal would cause too much fogging.

The pair I did get still fogs some, but there is a lot more space open on the side for air circulation.

I find I use my sports glasses extensively for all manner of stuff. They provide much better eye protection than regular stylish frames and don't fall off when I am being very active.

I would not recommend spending money on the photochromic lenses. IMO they don' work very well, don't provide good sun/glare protection, and can't be used for driving on sunny days because UV is needed to make them turn dark and the car glass blocks the UV.

Now, what I have found works for my situation is 3 pair. One for regular use in trifocal. One with polarized lenses in bi-focal for driving. And, one set in the traditional sports design, also with bi-focals.

The Wiley system is certainly cool looking and well made, but I think I made the right decision not getting them.
    Hop - do the glasses you got have side shields? The reason I am asking is I want mine to do double duty as shooting and safety glasses. I was at training last weekend and we were shooting steel targets. I got hit several times by splatter coming from several directions. I did not get hit in the glasses, but easily could have. As I plan to do more steel target shooting, I would like the side protection.

VIP Member
    To some extent they do have side protection, but not like the Wiley X.

If you really want safety glasses and do need the side protection, then what I got is not for you.

I've had hot cases bounce off the walls of the booth at the range and down onto my eyelids when wearing regular glasses. With my present sports glasses nothing would get in from the top and most stuff would not get in from the side, but fragments coming at just the right angle could.

What I have works fine for me when I'm using power tools.

Don't misunderstand, I think the Wiley's are great looking and very well made. The price is reasonable for what you get. The interchangeable lenses and the padding + side protection might be exactly the thing for you.

I'm just suggesting that if fogging is a potential problem for you (as it often is with safety glasses), you might want to look at the relative risk-benefit trades to be had with other designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Whoever gave you that information were incorrect.

I wear bifocals, and have progressive lenses for my regular glasses is with progressive lenses which is essentially a trifocal. Getting the progressive lenses, along with the light adjusting lens (similar to transitions) would have added quite a bit more to the Wiley-X so I chose to just get them set up for my distance vision.

If I had it to do over, I would opt for the progressive RX with the smoke grey lens as a dedicated sunglass. As I said, the light adjusting lens does not get as dark as the smoke grey. But they do enough in bright sunlight to be of decent benefit.

I did however get some cool Ray Ban original Wayfarer's with prescription lenses for use in the sun. So I use my Wiley-X as dedicated shooting glasses/safety goggles.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Try looking at the ESS line.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links