Want to put together a BOB: assistance?

This is a discussion on Want to put together a BOB: assistance? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm not preparing for the zombie apocalypse and I'm not really preparing for TEOTWAWKI. It will be useful for such things, but I'm preparing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Want to put together a BOB: assistance?

OK, I'm not preparing for the zombie apocalypse and I'm not really preparing for TEOTWAWKI. It will be useful for such things, but I'm preparing mostly for the more likely disasters. I live in Oklahoma. We're prone to tornadoes that are well-known to wipe out large swaths of whatever city gets in their way. We're prone to fires due to long periods without rain. We're also prone to flash flooding, due to sudden torrential downpours after long periods without rain have left the ground hard and unable to soak up water quickly. I'm wanting to put together a BOB that will have supplies useful for pretty much any disaster that might come this way, whether that be tornadoes, fires, floods, collapse of government, zombie apocalypse, alien invasion etc. Mostly the first 3.

What I'd like to do is have it be somewhat modular so that it's not one humongous thing, and also so that it can be easily split and accessed if need be. Say I'm going to little Timmy's soccer tournament (there's no little Timmy and won't be for some time, just an example). With it being modular I could just grab the bag with the med supplies and toss them in the Jeep with his soccer bag. My real concern at the moment is for tornadoes and other natural disasters though. I want to have everything in one place, because right now I don't have a very good place to go for tornado shelter since my move. My current plan is to grab everything important and find a road that goes perpendicular to the twister's current path, not really knowing where I'll end up or if I'll be able to get back the same way.

Anyway, enough lead-up, here's my current list. I've got stars by things I'm really looking for advice on, but feel free to critique anything that needs it.

BOB
    Water
    - Purified water (1 gallon)
    - Filter bottles (1 per person, plus extra filter each)
    - Camelbak (1, large capacity)
    - Powdered gatorade
    Food
    - MREs (7 per person)*
    - Jerky
    Cutlery
    - Fork/spoon/knife (1 each per person, metal)
    - Cup/bowl/plate ( 1 each per person, metal)
    Fire
    - Tinder
    - Heavy-duty butane lighter (1 with extra butane refill)
    - Waterproof matches
    - Magnesium fire starter
    - Butane one-burner camp stove
    - Outdoor candles
    Tools
    - Hatchet
    - Camp saw
    - Folding shovel
    - Fixed-blade knife
    - Leatherman-type multitool
    - Duct tape
    - 550 paracord
    - Knot-tying card
    - Strong plastic bags
    - Superglue
    - Crowbar
    - Pliers
    Navigation
    - Local/state maps
    - Map of emergency routes
    - List of rendevouz points in case of separation
    - List of evacuation sites
    - Compass
    - Binoculars
    - LED flashlights (1 per person, plus 1 extra, extra batteries)
    Communication
    - Weather radio
    - Battery/crank radio
    - Two-way radios
    - Shortwave**
    - Batteries for all
    Misc
    - Pens/pencils
    - Notebooks
    - Impact-resistant Sunglasses
    Ammunition
    - 9mm (100 rounds, 50 each ball and JHP)
    - .40 (100 rounds, 50 each ball and JHP)
    - 12ga (25 #00 buck, 10 birdshot)

CAMP/CLOTHING
    - Bedrolls (1 per person)
    - Space blankets (2 per person)
    - Pup tent (tent, stakes, lines etc.)***
    - Rain ponchos (1 per person)
    - Cold weather gloves (1 pair per person)
    - Work gloves (1 pair per person)
    - Socks/undergarments (2 pair each per person)
    - Weather appropriate overwear
    - Sewing kit (strong needles, strong thread, extra buttons)

MEDICAL
    - Nitrile gloves
    - Gauze bandages
    - Gauze compresses
    - Medical tape
    - Various adhesive bandages
    - Alcohol
    - Bleach
    - Iodine
    - Splint kit
    - Antibiotic
    - Burn ointment
    - Eye wash
    - Aspirin
    - Tylenol
    - Ibuprofen
    - Soap
    - Sterile towels
    - Antiseptic wipes
    - Scissors
    - Tweezers
    - Tourniquets
    - Cold compress
    - Quick clot****
    - Suturing supplies
    - First aid guide
    - Dust masks
    - Gas masks*****
    - Medicine dropper
    - Thermometer
    - Prescription meds
    - Smelling salts
    - Electrolyte tablets

DOCUMENT SAFE
    - Titles/deeds
    - Passports
    - Marriage license
    - Insurance information
    - Money (small bills, quarters)
    - Hard drive backup

* MREs - I'm not sure what to look for in these. Any advice is welcome. I'm not sure if there are brands/types to stay away from or what.
    ** Shortwave radio - I've heard some include this,but I'm not sure if it's worth the weight. What do you guys think?
    *** Pup tent - This will take up a decent amount of space and weight, even for a small one. I could forgo this and do bivy sacks instead.
    **** Quick clot - Not sure if I can get my hands on this or not, or if there's a better alternative.
    ***** Gas masks - No not because I'm worried that the Nazis are going to drop mustard gas on us. This could come in handy for anything like smoke from fires or noxious fumes from gas leaks or chemical spills caused by a tornado. Worth the weight? Suggestions for type?

This is not going to be an "I wanna get out of town for a couple days" bag; this is going to be an "I want to get far away from where I am and set up a semi-permanent shelter" kind of kit. I'm really not super worried about having to, but ideally I'd like to have enough to survive for 7 days without having to resort to hunting wildlife, but have the ability to do so if the need arose. Keep in mind that I'm packing this bag for myself and my wife. Let the comments begin. If you think I'm paranoid for packing something like this: that's nice, now go somewhere else before you say anything.

EDIT: Also, I'm planning to just update this post with suggestions from you guys that I like, so expect it to change.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Looks pretty comprehensive. A lot of stuff and may be kind of bulky weight wise. However, a list with a lot of contents can be deceiving.

Below is a list of the contents of my Emergency Go Bag. You may get some ideas from there. It all fits in one backpack and it weighs around 35-40 lbs not including pistol and 3 spare mags.

Go Bag Contents
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    BOB.....B as in Bag or B as in Barge.

lol.....thats a lot of stuff. modular is a very good idea if the family will be apart by more time/miles than can be covered in a calimity by foot
    if necessary in a time you have to determine. communicaation between you all needs to be independent of public (cell) methods. they may be the 1st to fail.

walk through your home, the supermarket, the hardware store....see into the future90 days for supplies. chose from what is not quickly perishable. relpeanish as LIFO.
    your meds look good; but do not forget the kain pilles

at worst you have a 3 month supply of everything.

under-collapse of govt--your gonna need some barter items. though it is open to debate, i stand by a stash of silver coins (pre 1964) and gold 'smalls'....dimes and quarters.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    your meds look good; but do not forget the kain pilles
    Well, I included 3 types of painkiller. Anyhow, as far as meds go I forgot to mention my wife has less than a year to go in pharmacy school. All that she has left is basically intern work, the schooling is done. I'll get advice from her on meds. My parents also have a neighbor who's a good friend; he used to be a combat medic for the Army special forces. I'm going to tap into his knowledge for the medical supplies.

I'm wanting to keep the equipment manageable for carrying,and I know it looks like a lot of stuff, but I can always take things out. I may not be able to put things in. And I drive a Jeep with a lift and 33" Kevlar-reinforced tires. I'm planning to carry the stuff to the Jeep and have it take me as far as it can.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

You should have bags within bags. Store your water separately, it is heavy and will eventually make your dry stuff wet stuff. There are lots of forums out there specifically for this kind of stuff. One I frequent is EDCForums. Great people over there and they have it going on with regards to this stuff. You need to keep it around 45 lbs. or less otherwise youwont be able to trek it very far. Have a modualr system for stuff you can load in your vehicle and dont have to carry it all at one time. You have a good start.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    move to....or stay and see

so much depends on where you are --relative to where else is better and why that is.
    and staying, cause of where you are and what happens and how you are to physically handle it.
    my plan for xxx 30 years, even 10 years ago is much different then today.

but a plan, like this is a (serious) hobby that if needed, more than makes it worth whatever others may have said.
    and if no nothing ever happens...i've always got a FILO 3 month supply of darn near everything i need.
    and i know what i have and where it is. that alone is worth something good.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

you are in OK, i'm in KS so i understand the tornado thing, my thinking is if my house gets hit and blows away my BOB will be gone (just assume that you didn't have enuff warningto get out) so what i did was i laid a gun cabinet on it's back and is bolted to the concrete floor, i know it could still be blown away but it's better than being in my closet. i would add some work boots to your list, after a tornado there lots of crap to step on and don't forget TP for your PP and the wife may need some "lady" items

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    move to....or stay and see

so much depends on where you are --relative to where else is better and why that is.
    and staying, cause of where you are and what happens and how you are to physically handle it.
    my plan for xxx 30 years, even 10 years ago is much different then today.

but a plan, like this is a (serious) hobby that if needed, more than makes it worth whatever others may have said.
    and if no nothing ever happens...i've always got a FILO 3 month supply of darn near everything i need.
    and i know what i have and where it is. that alone is worth something good.
    No offense, Claude, really none intended here, but is English your first language? Your posts are extremely hard to decipher. I haven't got a darn clue what your first two paragraphs are trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    you are in OK, i'm in KS so i understand the tornado thing, my thinking is if my house gets hit and blows away my BOB will be gone (just assume that you didn't have enuff warningto get out) so what i did was i laid a gun cabinet on it's back and is bolted to the concrete floor, i know it could still be blown away but it's better than being in my closet. i would add some work boots to your list, after a tornado there lots of crap to step on and don't forget TP for your PP and the wife may need some "lady" items
    The office I work in is about 2.5 miles from my apartment. Generally speaking, we hear about tornado weather long before tornadoes actually strike. There are exceptions, but we usually have at least some warning. Given more than 5 minutes of warning I guarantee you I could make it to my apartment in time to grab the bag.

I do have a pair of boots I use for paintball, but they're in my bin full of paintball stuff. I suppose I should break those out.
    My blog

Check this site. He is local, to me, and while his bags don't have everything (and are expensive) you may need they may have something in them you have not thought about...

UncleBobsGoBags.com

1 Each, Voodoo Matrix Assault Pack
    1 Each, 2.5-Liter Hydration Bladder
    3 Pairs, Nitrile Gloves
    1 Each, Head Light
    1 Each, Kelly Kettle "Trekker" Cooking Kit
    1 Bag, Waterproof Matches
    1 Each, 25 Gram pouch Quick Clot
    1 Each, P-51 Can Opener
    1 Each, 50 Ft. Length Para cord
    6 Packets, (24 Servings) Emergency Food
    1 Each, Roll Duct Tape
    1 Bag, Plastic Eating Utensils
    1 Each, Israeli Battle Dressing
    3 Each, N95 Masks
    1 Pair, Work Gloves
    2 Each, Chem. Light
    1 Each, Multi-Tool w/Knife
    1 Bottle, Tincture of Iodine
    1 Each, Whistle, Compass, Thermometer
    1 Each, Signal Mirror
    1 Each, Emergency Crank Radio
    1 Each, First Aid Kit
    1 Each, Roll of Medical Adhesive Tape
    1 Each, Katadyn MYBottle Water Filtration
    1 Each, Bottle Hand Sanitizer
    1 Each, Emergency Blanket
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Administrator
    The Maxpedition Vulture II is the largest Pak that they have available.
    You can get a lot of stuff in there but, for sure not everything that you have listed.
    For sure - you are not going to be able to hump all of that in any one bag.
    You can make up a smaller medical pak and attach it to the the exterior of the Vulture II

I could make a lot of changes up there to help you compact things quite a bit but, you're still going to end up with a lot of stuff.

In addition to the largest backpak you going to end up also carting a very large gear bag.

There are 2 videos at the bottom of this Maxpedition page - Scroll Down.
    You can also get this bag slightly cheaper on Ebay. I got mine for $125.00 & Free Shipping
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...ack-12p114.htm

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    For sure - you are not going to be able to hump all of that in any one bag.
    You can make up a smaller medical pak and attach it to the the exterior of the Vulture II
    I was planning to have the medical kit be its own separate bag, for the reasons stated above. It would end up going in a smaller backpack with a hydration bladder that my wife would carry. We'd fill the bladder first thing to avoid carrying a big jug around. She's quite capable of it, she went to Africa for 3 months last summer and toted this guy around while she was there. And believe me, it was heavy, haha.
    My blog

VIP Member
    Good ideas and links here. I have a pocket kit with an IBD, a car bag, surplus pack frames loaded for BOBs, a "camping" corner in the basement, and collapsable golf carts adapted for transport. Let your brain save your feet (the old back in my case).
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

You should probably consider adding an extra set of clothes in your pack. You could be without a pair of jeans or a sweatshirt. What if all you have on are sandals and the tornado comes. This would suck getting around in a debris field in sandals. Pack a pair of sneakers or boots. Gotta protect your body.

You might consider Lifeboat Rations instead of MREs. My understanding is that MREs are bulky, heavy, and don't have a terribly long shelf life. They were also designed for extended use rather than survival / bug-out situations.
    Lifeboat rations are lightweight and high calorie. They should serve the purpose of keeping you alive and moving for a few days, though probably not as enjoyable as the MRE.

For Documents, I keep the originals in a "cool pocket" in my safe, but I'm considering a thumb drive with copies to keep in my BOB. The idea is that if I have to grab and run, I at least have a copy, but if I have 10 minutes notice, I can grab a few extras and would have time to open the safe and get the originals (along with a rifle, additional cash, etc that are in there)
    I don't want to keep the original documents in my BOB for their protection, and I figure a thumb drive is easy enough to read when needed. I'm also considering keeping those sensitive documents encrypted on the drive. (Look at TrueCrypt, it can run right off the thumb drive)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links