Need Safe Help

This is a discussion on Need Safe Help within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my little handgun safes and lockable cabinets are not doing the job anymore. Time to move on to the big boy safes. Apparently there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need Safe Help

Need Safe Help

So my little handgun safes and lockable cabinets are not doing the job anymore. Time to move on to the big boy safes.

Apparently there are a vast multitude of sizes weights and options. So I think aside from cost (very important), I am looking for fire rating, water tight, at least 12 cu. ft., can bolt to my floor, solid hardware (not just a locker), less than 24" exterior (fit through my back door), and can be moved by a couple guys. Of course customizable is good as well.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Anyone in the Cleveland Ohio area have one they are looking to get rid of?

By the way, new around here so greetings to one and all
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Frank Zykan Safe & Vault, LLC

this fellow is well thought of. perhaps not well known here, but in other places.

there is a big difference between a RSC and a safe.
    most sold as 'safes' in gun stores and warehouse operations are called 'safes' but a closer reading
    will often reveal the Residential Security Container (RSC) language.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Those look very nice but a bit large/heavy/expensive for my needs. Is there a down side to a RSC vs. safe?
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

a 'real' safe will withstand all but a long, determined attack. and is fire rated much hotter and longer. weighs a real lot more and cost also by the pound--a real lot more.
    there are threads about RSC vs safes; try google . try THR. b4 i spend $1100 im gonna do my own research and than ask others what has worked for them.
    good luck. ps--i picked that price cause with research, it is in the area of value for money for the most of us as needs vs. want.
    -------------------

Check out Zanotti Armor. Gun Safes for your home or business | Zanotti Armor®. I have one that I moved myself...best money I spent.

New Safe!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I think you ought to dismiss "water tight" from the requirements. Water tight works both ways - what keeps moisture out can also keep moisture in.

Don't dismiss used safes in your shopping. Safes are heavy and the cost of moving them with household goods can be prohibitive, so they tend to get left behind when people relocate. Obviously there is less of a choice than with new, but check with local moving and storage companies and also with companies that move and install safes. A friend got a huge safe (6 feet wide, double doors) from a moving company for about $300, delivered to his garage. You might just get as lucky.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Check out the Liberty Safes. I have the Lincoln 25 which sounds like what you're looking for.
    bigdog44 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Gun Safe Buyers' Guide

and SIGguy is in this article also with his VG recommendation
    -------------------

Just this thought! I bought my safe thinking I would never use all that space. I was wrong. Pick out the biggest safe you think you could ever use, then double that!
    Justified and bigdog44 like this.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Here ya' go, a ton of info... Gun Safe Buyers' Guide
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Try the warehouse store Costco online for a reasonable safe at a fair price. As far as watertight, if you find one, you can throw "cost" out the window. Fire ratings will determine a lot in what you will have to pay. The longer the fire rating the thicker the insulation, but the odds are you are not going to have a fire, and if you do, it will not burn to the ground or last for hours. From security standpoint most safe manufactures tout how great their door is, but the truth is anyone breaking into a safe will go through the thinner sidewalls. If someone wants in and brings the right tools it's a done deal. On thin sidewalls an ax will cut through the metal. If money is no object I would get the biggest, badest safe out there, but for most, a safe that stops the smash and grab thieves is all you need.

Welcome from GA !!
    Justified likes this.

I think you should look at the Zanotti safes. Also, the safes that Winchester markets looked like a great value to me when I was researching my purchase.

SIGguy 229
    That looks interesting. So you assembled it yourself? I couldn't find any pricing on there, any idea what one would run around 12 cu ft or so? Is yours pretty styrdy?
    - George Orwell Military

Good point on the water tight. I would love to find a used deal somewhere!! The cost of a decent safe is really discouraging me at this point bc the funds are not there
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think you ought to dismiss "water tight" from the requirements. Water tight works both ways - what keeps moisture out can also keep moisture in.

Don't dismiss used safes in your shopping. Safes are heavy and the cost of moving them with household goods can be prohibitive, so they tend to get left behind when people relocate. Obviously there is less of a choice than with new, but check with local moving and storage companies and also with companies that move and install safes. A friend got a huge safe (6 feet wide, double doors) from a moving company for about $300, delivered to his garage. You might just get as lucky.
    - George Orwell Military

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links