Cheap Tactical light?

This is a discussion on Cheap Tactical light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a 220 Lumens compact hand held flashlight at gander Mountain for 39.99 + tax. I've had it for about a month or so ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cheap Tactical light?

I bought a 220 Lumens compact hand held flashlight at gander Mountain for 39.99 + tax. I've had it for about a month or so and for the price has been great.

Above tokerblue has a link to 4sevens which I thought was helpful.

2. Remove Ads

SAMS Club has a two pack of Rocky lights for $20 and that includes batteries. I have been trying them out for a month and have no complaints. Both lights have dim, bright and strobe.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Does anyone have experience with any tactical lights? I want to buy one for my home defense pistol but I am returning to school and can’t afford a good named one. I know there are a lot on ebay but can seem to find one with a momentary on/off switch. Does anyone know of one that is actually bright and has this feature for $40 or less?
    First of all, please state your brand and model of handgun so that we can find a better fit. There are many different weapon mounted lights sold by Surefire, Streamlight, Insight, Blackhawk, Smith & Wesson, Glock, Instapark, UTG, Nebo, and Safariland, but most all are way past your budget of $40.00. I think the only WML under $40.00 might be the Nebo Protec Elite HP230, but for the low price it is probably a guaranteed POS. Therefore, my advice would be to get a good LED handheld flashlight and to learn how to use it in conjunction with your handgun grip. After you have enough money to save for a WML, I suggest you get the Streamlight TLR-1.

For now, I recommend you buy a used Fenix TK15 flashlight from Ebay ($45 - $60) or a Surefire 6P Defender ($50 - $65). If you can't dish out a bit more than $40, then look for a Fenix E21, Streamlight Protac or Polytac, Maglight XL 100, Nebo Redline S.O.S., Smith & Wesson Galaxy or a Nuflare Luxeon which are all below $40.00 but still a good deal.

Here's a good video on different flashlight and pistol grip techniques:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Given your budget for a weapon mounted light I'd say that anything for that particular price is probably not going to withstand many recoil shocks before your replacing it, or the bulbs. You don't want the light to go down when you need it most.

Save your money and get a Surefire X-series or Insight X-Series specific to the type of rail you have on your pistol.

You'll thank me later.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links