Cheap Tactical light?

This is a discussion on Cheap Tactical light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have experience with any tactical lights? I want to buy one for my home defense pistol but I am returning to school and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cheap Tactical light?

Cheap Tactical light?

Does anyone have experience with any tactical lights? I want to buy one for my home defense pistol but I am returning to school and canít afford a good named one. I know there are a lot on ebay but can seem to find one with a momentary on/off switch. Does anyone know of one that is actually bright and has this feature for $40 or less?

2. Remove Ads

LIGHT-149 - Leapers UTG LED Tactical Flashlight 200 Lumens Includes Batteries Curly Cord Pressure Switch and Mount

I own three. Comes with batteries, pressure switch, and mount. I find the velcro for the switch doesn't last, so I dremmelled out a groove for the pressure switch and applied it with a small dot of hot glue. Stays forever until I want to take it off, and then it pops right off.

Are you looking for a weapon mounted light or a handheld tactical light?

It's a little over your $40 budget, but they are fantastic lights.
    4Sevens
    chefjon likes this.

Realistically you need a good handheld and a WML of you are gonna have one on your HD gun. Its not for searching its for target identification. That Leapers looks like a decent option. You maybe should hit Ebay and see if you can find a used Insight M3 which was one of the forerunners of the genre. 40 bucks is awful cheap to get a decent one. You can get a great handheld LED light for very cheap. Look at the Olight T25T, or the Fenix LD20. Ebay should have them for under your price range. Most likely you will need a search light way more than you will need a Target ID, and the handheld can do both with some practice.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Got one of these at LGS for $30 and love it. Great little light, and I think, with the right hardware should be able to mount to a 'rail on a HD shotgun, or maybe a longer semi-auto pistol.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by RevolvingMag; July 11th, 2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Typos
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Thanx everyone but I want them for a Handgun. Not a shotgun

RKM
    Weapon mounted, I love the Streamlight TLR lights, 130 lumens. Handheld I have a Streamlight Polytac,120 lumens.

No one has any more suggestions for handgun light?

Sportsman's Guide has a couple, with user reviews. I may get one to try but can't speak for them. What I want and what I can afford are very different things.

While not a weapon mounted light, Ace Hardware in our area sells a tough little flashlight with the brand name NEBO. It's got a "tactical" appearance, combat type notched front,a rear on/off button that glows slightly and the light is very bright for the one AA battery. They have a rep at work for being pretty tough, most the guys carry them in a work belt, I can tell you that the one I carry all the time has had a rough life. I keep several around the house in stategic areas, one always stays with the "night stand gun". The only gripe I've got is the lenses tend to scratch, but still for the ten bucks it's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Thanx everyone but I want them for a Handgun. Not a shotgun
    Are you mounting it or holding it?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    CSI EDGE | Tactical LED Flashlights | NEBO Tools I have one of these, that I just got, and it's great. small, easy to handle. The four projections in front of the lens are almost as sharp as my knives, and it's pretty bright for it's size, and single AA battery. And, it's pretty BA for the $7.99 I paid for it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Thanks for the web page Mag. The one I have is the CSI Edge on the main page. Dropped in 2 feet of water a couple weeks ago, and it laid there for several minutes before I could get it. Never went off, still works today.
    Yankee, love the giva damn program!
    "Come Watson, the game is afoot!"

For a cheap light ( $30), I picked up a Maglite XL50, uses 3- AAA batteries Magliteģ XL50? LED Flashlight
    Specifications:

Length: 4.8" (121.92 mm)
    Barrel Diameter: 1" (25.4 mm)
    Head Diameter: 1" (25.4 mm)
    Weight with batteries: 3.68 oz. (104 g)
    Lumens 104
    machined aluminum case
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

We have two of another NEBO, with the laser pointer to screw with kitty, it's pretty god for the price, but not super bright. One has a finicky switch. Good back up. If you don't car about tacticool, I LOVE my Pelican Stealthlight rechargeable. Mine is yellow, from TheFireStore.com. The non-rechargeable ones are in line with your price range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links