Stun Batons

This is a discussion on Stun Batons within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading a lot of post lately about defending yourself with a more nonlethal way when no weapon is shown, I decided that I will ...

Thread: Stun Batons

VIP Member

Stun Batons

After reading a lot of post lately about defending yourself with a more nonlethal way when no weapon is shown, I decided that I will purchase a stun gun for my car. Do to health problems and not wanting to get too close, I feel a baton would suit me better. I'm hopeing that some one here might have some experience with stun guns and can tell me are the worth the purchase. I have checked on them a little over the internet and the information is all about the same. Not sure if this is just sells talk. What brand is a dependible brand? I see batons up to 500k but the stun guns go up to 950,000. Is 500k strong enough? Any info you can give me will be apreciated. Thank You.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Here on the ranch we call them little jewls " cattle prods " and if you hit me with one you WILL get a butt whippin at the least . If you cant tell i am not a big proponent of the whole electronic immobleisation thing . Tasers may be a good resource for LE , but you dont need to restrain anyone , give them a shot of pepperspray foam and be on your way to where its convienant to call inn .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Just be sure to check local and state laws concerning ownership and use. Sorry I don't know more to tell ya.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I know Rocky that I am one of the states you can buy stun guns. So I'm assumming they are legel to use. But I know I shouldn't assume. I am not sure if a stun gun is the way to go but I do feel having a nonleathal weapon for the car is a smart thing to do. The reason I didn't consider pepper spray is that I thought the wind could blow some of it back into my face while using it.

Lead Moderator
    pros and cons to all weapons. Will a stun gun affect you if in contact with the target? I would think so but am not sure. Just some more to think about.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Ben - opinion varies on OC but I would always (and do) choose jet/stream delivery - and reckon unless blowing a gale, this will get the stuff where you want it and not on you.

I too am not really a fan of stun devices, leaving aside my uncertainly on legality of certain types etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Re:

Stun guns/batons can be a good non-lethal deterrent, but I do like the M18 Taser more. Here is why, and my knowledge is by no means comprehensive.

Stun guns are pain compliance. They will cause the BG extreme pain and make the muscles close to the actual charge contract. In my opinion, they will not knock someone down or anything of the sort, but they will shock the fire out of you.

Quite simply, most people will let go of you if you stick a 750,000-volt stun gun to their chest and let it fly. Not to mention a shock to the neck or lower torso, maybe even Mr. Ed and the boys. (In my opinion, this later option could be considered lethal force)

I have a StunMaster 750,000 volt stun gun, and when I fire the thing it sounds like a .22 rifle. You can smell the burn and electricity in the air. You could spark the little beast and everyone within 50 feet will be able to hear it and see the spark. It is very intimidating. If you meet anyone who doesn't think so, ask him/her to take a 1 second shock on their leg with a 750,000 volt stun gun.

With that said, a stun gun is not going to drop someone to the ground unless you hold it to him or her for several seconds and dump a lot of energy into the poor sap. You have to be close; it will not incapacitate the BG completely, and sometimes does not work on people with a high pain tolerance. (Much like OC Spray)

BTW- The shock of a stun gun or Taser will NOT transfer into you through the BG. I would get the strongest one you can carry. I have seen some the size of cigarette packs that can slap you with 900,000volts.

The Taser, however, is a little different. It has a reach of up to 15 feet and must be fired like a handgun. It delivers 50,000 volts through two prongs that are fired into your chest. (actually a #6 Eagle fishhook bent out straight and those suckers are moving when they come out). The two prongs deliver an arch of electricity across the body, which actually tells the brain to make the body to contract. The charge will penetrate up to 2.5 inches of clothing. (I saw a video of a guy in a big puffy Starters jacket, with a sweater on underneath, and it dropped him flat) The technology is patented and works completely different than a stun gun. The Taser is not pain compliance reliant. The shock of electricity tells the brain to contact all the muscles in the body, and that is exactly what happens and the BG drops to the ground.

In every Taser video I have seen the BG drops instantly. It is advertised as having the same stopping power of a 9mm, whatever the hell that means. A 9mm round where? In the arm, arse, head?

Honestly, I have yet to see a Taser deployed where it did not work. Granted, I am not an LEO so I do not have direct experience with shooting someone, but I have seen them do it quite a bit.

Taser vids:
    http://www.defenseproducts101.com/taser_video.html

The Taser has better stopping power, and a longer reach than a stun gun. The Taser can also be deployed as a stun gun if I miss the BG with the first shot, and do not have a reload. If I shoot someone with the Taser it will automatically cycle a 5 second shock to the BG whether I am holding the Taser or not. I can pull the trigger a second time and the Taser will deliver consecutive shocks in 5-second intervals for 1 minute. I can shoot the BG, drop the Taser and have a full minute to get out of dodge before he even thinks of getting up. Taser designed the weapon this way so that people could escape the danger, and all I have to do is send in a police report of using the Taser and they will send me another one for free. Not bad.

A baton will give you a little more reach, but it still is pain compliance. In my opinion you could keep the average BG at a distance with the baton and not let him close; especially if you get a good baton that can also be used as a melee weapon. However, you do run the chance of getting some nut that doesn't feel pain like most people, and then you're just stuck poking at a lunatic with a light-up nightstick.

Hope that was some help. Stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If price is an object, the Tasers are MUCH more expensive than a stun gun or baton (aka cattle prod). Of course, they are much more effective, as well.

VIP Member
    Thanks JeffP. That is the kind of info I was looking for.

You betcha!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    For whatever its worth, Ben, I know a couple guys who have one. One is a LEO who works with prisoners a lot. He has some great stories about those Taser guns working to defuse a situation where, otherwise, deadly force may have been required. The only con to them is how damned large they are - they are also expensive to shoot @ $60 a pop (remember he's a LEO so he prolly gets a deal on each firing). Another nice feature is that if you are in close quarters or there's a fear of hitting another target, you can remove the flyin hooks rather quickly, walk upto the perp, and stick the prongs to his body directly - 750,000 volts. Jeff is right about the sound, too. When that thing goes, the Taser cracks like a .22. Most people don't expect it, but it does.

Compliance is not an issue at that high a voltage. They will paint your wifes toenails with a smile if you tell someone to after that.

I don't know much about the hand-held stickers. I don't want some BG getting close enough to me to use it because if he is... then I'm in range of him for sure.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I've seen a stun baton used, to good effect, in an ER. 750K volts, spiraling electrodes up the shaft, and the usual prongs, on the end. Dropped a combative drunk like a sack of feed. Also left a local PO 10-7 for about an hour while his arm recovered, since he didn't believe it "could be that bad".

Having said that, it is a baton, and if the shock doesn't work, I have no idea how effective it is for whopping someone, nor what the legality would be. They are also generally 18+" long.

Tasers- lots of folks like them, but, again, have a back-up plan, in hand, the second you fire it. The word on proper "anti-Taser" chic is starting to get around, I've heard.

Links