Pistol Rack for Gun Safe/Cabinet

This is a discussion on Pistol Rack for Gun Safe/Cabinet within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So today I ordered the Sentry 5-Gun "Safe" from WalMart. True it's more gun cabinet than gun safe, but it'll meet my needs for now. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alachner

Thread: Pistol Rack for Gun Safe/Cabinet

So today I ordered the Sentry 5-Gun "Safe" from WalMart. True it's more gun cabinet than gun safe, but it'll meet my needs for now. My plan is to bolt it to the floor and the wall in one of the closets in my bedroom. My current collection has outgrown the small lock box I had them stored in, so it was time to go a little bigger. It should house my four handguns, two shotguns, and AR nicely.

Anyway, my real question is here is about pistol racks. I'd like to put a rack up on the top shelf so I can stand my handguns up to keep them organized, clean, and undamaged. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on Pistol Racks. I've seen some from Stack-On, Dri-Rod, a company called ManAbout Racks... just all kinds of options and I'd like some input from members here on what they own and any other thoughts on the subject.

Also, if anyone have recommendations on where to buy? I'd like to be able to see some options in stores but I'm not real sure if anyone other than safe dealers would carry stuff like that.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Maybe this is unhelpful, but I just keep pistols in their carry boxes when they're in the safe, except for the two that I might carry. Those lay, in kydex holsters to keep the trigger covered, on that top shelf in the safe.

There's no dust accumulating in any safe -- anything in there will stay clean, regardless.

The key phrase, by the way, is: "current collection has outgrown," which eventually happens to almost everyone. All I can say is, don't buy a safe which matches your current collection. Buy one that is at least twice that size.

Thanks for the input dgg, I appreciate it. I to will only be keeping some of my guns out of their cases. My two carry guns, plus my wife's carry, plus my antique that I don't have the box for.

I understand your point on the size of the safe. Eventually the plan is to go with a nice Liberty Safe or something along those lines. For the size of the safe and the features I'd like in a safe, I'd be looking at spending a whole heck of a lot of money. With a baby on the way, other things we need around the house, and the fact that we are still in our starter home it just is not in the cards for me to go that direction right now.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Another good idea would be to line up the inside of the safe's door with a strong sheet of velcro and then keep each gun there holstered in a Maxpedition or 5.11 Tactical velcro holster. Then you can use the top shelf to hold ammo and other important valuables like passports, jewelry, documents, etc..

It would be something like this:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

alachner I'd been thinking of doing something like that! The safe I'd eventually like to have has handgun storage in the door in pockets, which is a feature that I love. I wondered if I could accomplish something like that with this cabinet. I wonder if I can get the velcro attached well enough to be able to do that.

Number of choices here at Cabella's... Cabela's: Search Results
    I have the Versatile Safe Model for 6 pistols...works great!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    alachner I'd been thinking of doing something like that! The safe I'd eventually like to have has handgun storage in the door in pockets, which is a feature that I love. I wondered if I could accomplish something like that with this cabinet. I wonder if I can get the velcro attached well enough to be able to do that.
    If there is enough room between the door and the shelving, I don't think you will have a problem doing it. Nonetheless, you need to figure out if you can bolt it, hang it or find some other way to keep it held strongly, since the weight of the handguns will be significant. I would also just keep the pistols in their holsters for now and then when money is not so tight, look into buying one of the Patriot or Scout series safes from Cannon which start at $800.00 and have the option to install this custom made accessory.

I am also looking into buying a gun safe for my firearm collection and I am looking at the Cannon Patriot P22 which sells for $1,155 and holds up to 24 long guns.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Here is what I use. They work fine and are similar to what you were talking about in the OP.

RedHead Handgun Rack
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Will this fit over your door... or could you make it fit lower?

Tell us what you did.

Cabela's: Rack 'Em Racks The Holsterô Handgun Storage System

...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I use a few of these, takes up no room, and can grab one easy if needed. They just slip over the end of the shelf and gun goes under, ones I got (don't remember the brand, got them at a local gun show a while back), also, they can flip around for a longer or shorter rod depending on barrel length.
    Lockdown's Handgun Hangers | Pistol Hangers (6 pack) - Gun Safe Accessories

Sponsored Links