Questions about D.C.

This is a discussion on Questions about D.C. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm taking a trip to the District of Corruption next week (actually leaving Friday) and although I have been there literally hundreds of times this ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jwhite75
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Questions about D.C.

Questions about D.C.

I'm taking a trip to the District of Corruption next week (actually leaving Friday) and although I have been there literally hundreds of times this is a new paradigm. I have always stayed in VA or MD on rare occasion. Depending on the venues visited I have taken my CCW but more often not.

The dilemma comes about now that I am a single father. Friday morning my 15 yo daughter and I are headed out to DC. We'll be staying in town so no guns. My question is does anyone know the law on OC in DC and if you have a link even better.

While I be working my daughter will venture out to the Mall and hit the museums etc... I'd like her to be able to carry some OC.

Thanks in advance!

Sam

I guess with a little google foo I was able to find it easier than I thought.

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/re...-dc-laws.shtml

More Details on Washington D.C. Pepper Spray Laws
    Residents and visitors to DC may want to ensure their own safety by carrying a non lethal self defense device such as pepper spray or a MACE brand chemical spray. These personal security items may be purchased in the state, but before a citizen may legally possess any type of safety spray they must first register the weapon at a local police station. This allows law enforcement officers to know exactly who is carrying any type of defense spray and to help make sure they are used in a lawful manner. Only people who are 18 years or older may purchase and register a canister of spray on their own, but anyone 14 or older may do so as long as they have the permission of a parent or legal guardian.

Defense sprays are registered to discourage any illegal use of these powerful weapons. It is only lawful to use them if you are threatened with bodily harm. Just one blast of pepper spray is enough to completely incapacitate any aggressor, so it is an ideal form of self protection in Washington D.C., or anywhere you may go.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

2. Remove Ads

I don't know the law, but I think you need a permit for OC spray. I think it falls under the weapons category.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    In DC proper, you and your daughter would probably best be served by carring a cell phone. Just whip it out and dial 911 and the bad guys will flee in terror! Or so says Sara Brady.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

If by OC you mean open carry-absolutely not. OC spray is legal but bring it with you. OC spray purchased in DC requires registering it with DC Police. Blades up to 4 inches are ok as long as you have no criminal intent

IANAL

I carried my cell phone and my head on the swivel.
    mwhartman likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I lived there in the 60's I do not venture back unless it is a matter of life or death!!!!!!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Administrator
    Just about everything is a no no in DC. Good news is, stay in the touristy areas and its one of the best policed cities in the world... step off the beaten path and its one of the worst.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We had a good trip and she felt safe. We stayed right on Pennsylvania so we right in the center of town. I folded the map, told her not to leave the square. Like SIXTO said everything within the square was highly patrolled.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Links