Why carry a flashlight??? - Page 2

Why carry a flashlight???

This is a discussion on Why carry a flashlight??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work nights and in a state that during the winter months it's still dark past time I get home and I have a neighbor ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why carry a flashlight???

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I work nights and in a state that during the winter months it's still dark past time I get home and I have a neighbor that has broken into my apartment. Now while you may argue I can turn on the lights, let me remind you that the Northeast and Calif had power outages this summer, if it happens here it's during a blizzard.

Another reason is when my dad was killed I didn't have a flashlight until I got a truck driver pulled over to start a search for him. The old boy scout motto of being always prepared has come into play since then and I never travel without at least a flashlight in my pick-up and my surefire on me.

While I don't carry one during the day if I'm going for a walk or whatever at night I KNOW anything can happen partly due to my training, partly by listening to the scanner at work, partly because of life. I don't want to be caught wanting.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Maveri9720
    If I am in a dark situation and there's an unknown person coming towards me and I can't see his hands or what's in them, I'm yelling something.

Whether it be, "Stay back", "Don't come any closer", or something of the sort. If he continues w/o ID'ing himself, or stating his purpose, he now becomes a BG and gets OC'd and I haul ass.
    And go to jail for aggravated assault against the deaf or non-English-speaking guy. How do you think it's going to look to the judge when you tell him that you couldn't see the guy's hands because it was dark, so you attacked him?

I just don't want to be loaded down with so many things that I look like a LEO with a duty belt on.
    Funny, I just came back from the local cafe carrying:
    Taurus PT-99
    Spare mag for the Taurus
    Surefire G2 (with P61 lamp)
    Benchmade Griptilian
    One of those LED glowstick things from WalMart
    Garrity LED keychain light
    Bersa T380
    2 spare mags for the Bersa
    Wallet
    ID wallet
    2 lighters
    Extra pack of cigs
    Keys
    Cell phone

The only thing on my belt was the Taurus.

And I believe if you spray someone in the face with OC, there will be a delay.
    In light of all the reports of drunk/drugged/enraged attackers not being visibly affected by OC, you're willing to bet your life on that belief?

Also, say you temp blind them and turn to run and they start chasing you, will shining your flashlight at them while you are running away going to affect them?
    If they're chasing me as I try to retreat, then things will get ugly. That's what the artillery is for.

How about running away while spraying OC towards them?
    If they're close enough for you to do some sort of over the shoulder shot with the OC, they're too close already. If you sprayed them before you ran, and they're keeping up, what do you think another shot will do?

I still don't see a justifiable reason to make room for something that is little more than a convenience at best.
    When you go to court and have to tell a jury that you felt it was worth the hassle to carry a gun to shoot people with and OC to cause them severe pain with, but not a flashlight to identify and/or dissuade them with before harming them, you'll learn a lot about the term "justifiable."

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    You ever been in a big store (Walmart, Target, Toys R Us) or a mall when the power goes out?

It gets very dark. That is reason enough.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    Alright, I will buy this. If I can't take my weapon somewhere, then I would rather have something than nothing. Now, would it not make more sense to carry something like OC instead, if your intent is to distract the BG for an escape? Is OC considered a weapon, not allowed in these places, or is it OK to carry there?

RSSZ, I appreciate your input and your thoughts and feel the same as you.

Clipse, I can understand your reasoning, but personally, that isn't enough to justify me carrying yet another thing, when I am already chocked full. As stated above, if I need a distraction to get away, I would rather have OC than a flashlight.

Just my .02
    Nope, no OC allowed either. They are no weapons zones. Or victim disarmament zones if you prefer. Nothing that even looks like a weapon no matter how small is allowed. Fortunately they don't consider flashlights as weapons yet.

Sounds like you don't need a flashlight. So don't get one and don't carry one.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I've been hit in the eyes with bright lights when it was dark out and needed only a couple of blinks to regain vision again
    Then either the light wasn't really that bright or you are very unusual geneticly. Any exposure to really, really bright light like a high powered, focused flashlight or a camera flash can impair full night vision for a long time. You will recover SOME vision but not full vision. Such a flash can actually impair function in extreme low light for over 12 hours due to changes inside your eyeball caused by the flash. I had the whole process explained to me by an opthamologist one time and don't have room here but it is true.

I spent 12 years pushing around in a sailboat and if some fool turned even a 12 volt white cabin lamp on for a second your full abilities to keep watch at night where toast for hours. Out there with only moon and stars for illumination you begin to fully appreciate what night vision is and how fragile it can be.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Alright, please enlighten me as to why everyone carries a flashlight?
    For low-light situations, it can help when armed. Not that most of us clear buildings of bad guys, but it's very useful for that. If you frequently find yourself in larger commercial buildings or hotels, it's not as uncommon as you think to be caught in there during a power flicker/outage. 9/11 was another example of possibilities. Beyond that, even a small-ish flashlight can provide a very hard mini-club in the hand, if it comes down to that. It can help break through a window if needed, though a good knife or even a rock can do the same.

That said, I typically don't carry a flashlight. I don't travel much, avoid larger buildings, carry a stout knife instead (for prying/banging or glass-breaking alternatives), and am armed with the gun. Works for me, but then I've not yet been caught out in the dark.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 5th, 2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Alright, please enlighten me as to why everyone carries a flashlight?
    Simply because you must identify something as a threat to justifiably shoot at it. The only way to do this in the dark is with some form of artificial light source. You cannot justify shooting at shadows, silouhettes, noise and movement in the bushes, or other things that go bump in the night without positively ID'ing them first.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

The flashlight is also a weapon in its own right.

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1356

"And go to jail for aggravated assault against the deaf or non-English-speaking guy. How do you think it's going to look to the judge when you tell him that you couldn't see the guy's hands because it was dark, so you attacked him?"
    Think we might be reaching a little bit there? Seems a tad bit far from the norm for me.

And you all are in agreement that you have to ID someone positively to take action? What if someone comes charging at you out of the shadows, what do you do? Please wait while I grab my flashlight to see if I can pull my weapon, or pull my OC, or grab my knife first.

If I'm at home and my alarm goes off and my dogs are barking and my wife is next to me, then I know everyone who is supposed to be in the house is already there and this person who tripped the alarm isn't supposed to be. I don't feel the need to turn on a light or flash a light on him to figure out that, "yep, you aren't my wife, so I'm going to shoot you now." Or maybe a deaf person ACCIDENTALLY broke into my home and since he couldn't hear my alarm go off, didn't take off and all he wanted was a drink of water, so I should ID him first before I shoot him and get charged with manslaughter b/c he really wasn't a threat.

If I feel my life is in danger, I have no problem shooting someone with OC or higher force level depending on the actions of the BG. Are you going to tell me b/c you shine a light on a person who is deaf, that you can tell they are deaf and not a threat? Do they wear signs now? My guess is that they would continue to walk up to you, heedless of any commands you give, maybe pointing at there ear. Would you automatically assume they are deaf, or think maybe a BG has learned a new trick?

Now, I am not condoning shooting into shadows or shooting at noises, that's ridiculous. I am saying that if someone is approaching me and they don't stop when I yell at them to or ID themselves and I can't tell what's in their hands or what their intentions are, then my life is in danger and I have every right to defend myself. Don't think it would be very hard at all to convince a court that I told them to stop, they didn't, I couldn't see what was in their hands, so fearing for my life, I OC'd them and hauled ass. I didn't kill them, I didn't stab them, I took the lowest level of force I could and then ran.

"You ever been in a big store (Walmart, Target, Toys R Us) or a mall when the power goes out?
    It gets very dark. That is reason enough."
    Yea, I was caught in K-mart when the lights went out, no big deal really, b/c they had backup lights and the windows and doors upfront provided enough light for me to get to them. Also, the exit signs helped too.

But like I said it is more for convenience than necessity, in my opinion.

I love flashlights. I have one in each of my vehicles and in my wife's vehicles. I have 2 emergency flashlights tactically placed in the house, along with a flashlight in my nightstand and one easily accessible in my garage.

I was just wondering the reasons why everyone else carried one and if those reasons were enough for me to carry one also. To this point, they haven't been, but again, this is my own opinion. To each their own.

Administrator
    I'm afraid of the dark and I don't want The Boogie Man to get me.

A Few Reasons but, my most often used reason is as follows ~
    I always keep at least a small LED light w, my keys since I receive the police & alarm co. alarm calls for my work & during a power outage or any system malfunction I absolutely need at least a small reliable light in order to deactivate &/or reset the alarm system.
    I have 4 different keys that need to quickly go into 4 different locks from my point of ingress to the locked alarm box.

For work related reasons, I see no problem with this. Or having something small around your neck or on your keychain is fine, in my opinion too.

Scott,

Could you tell me where you found that info at? I'm curious as to what the laws are here regarding OC and the only thing I have found has been on the OC's websites saying that you can't carry on a plane b/c it's considered HazMat.

Can you direct me somewhere, or is this something that will be posted at the doors of xyz building?

Appreciate it.

maverick-

i guess it's just personal preference. i agree, situational awareness is important and avoiding "dark" areas but you're limiting yourself to where you can go, etc. Couple things to think about in no particular order:
    1) i use my light as often as a small pocket knife... looking at/under a car, working around the house. just seems to come in handy.

2) say you're in a "safe" lit area and that changes. some person(s) comes after you and the best course of action is escape/evasion. while it may be best to stay in public, lit areas, you're also easily found. you may have to hide somewhere... somewhere dark... might be helpful to have a light.

3) hopefully you at least have one in your car but is it small, portable? say your car breaks down and you're hoofing it somewhere in the dark. don't want be lugging around some massive lantern.

4) like the above Kmart/walmart... i'd never trust the "backup generators" or "emergency lighting". you'd be shocked how often those things DON'T work.

5) just thinking about a dark movie theater, etc...

I mean, i guess it's personal preference/etc but it just seems like a no-brainer for me. i also carry a gun/knife and have never understood why people have more than 1 of each (spare mags notwithstanding). I also don't ever carry any pepper/OC spray. have never seen the need. i'm sure some people could tell me i'm crazy, etc.

So it's whatever you're comfortable with. Maglite makes a tiny little AAA lamp on a lanyard hardly larger than the battery itself.

I hope to never have to use my weapon in self defense but from a legal standpoint, i think it will look better if i can say I had a light on me and was able to properly identify my target. if you don't, i good see a clever attorney using that against you. especially in a situation where the BG's family is suing you after the guy really tried to rob you but they say that "it was a case of mistaken identity".

good luck and do whatever is comfortable for you.

VIP Member
    For work related reasons, I see no problem with this. Or having something small around your neck or on your keychain is fine, in my opinion too.

Scott,

Could you tell me where you found that info at? I'm curious as to what the laws are here regarding OC and the only thing I have found has been on the OC's websites saying that you can't carry on a plane b/c it's considered HazMat.

Can you direct me somewhere, or is this something that will be posted at the doors of xyz building?

Appreciate it.
    Posted at my county courthouse. Airport style security manned by deputies. They are actually better than most airport security, but then they are also better trained as well. Other counties I have lived in have had similar security to zero security. Two counties just had signs, but no one checking. Two had airport style security. Just check before you go so you don't lose your spray can.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

How do you think it's going to look to the judge when you tell him that you couldn't see the guy's hands because it was dark, so you attacked him?"
    That sort of "defense" is claimed all the time, by some less-than-reputable LEOs, some folks in combat situations, etc. Couldn't make out what was in the hands ... so it must have been dangerous ... so shots are fired to avoid perceived danger. Yep. That'll do 'er. One would think all the extra training would mean something, particularly in tough situations.

Note: The above is not meant to impugn the reputations of any honorable, decent LEO or member of the armed forces. We're simply talking about the dregs. Every group has them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

the answer

the answer is to blind your aggressor/and or identify a friend/or
    family member so that you can make a decision.

we're talking about split seconds here.

inquire about a defensive pistol course and you'll find a lot of info.

JimB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links