Why carry a flashlight???

This is a discussion on Why carry a flashlight??? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, please enlighten me as to why everyone carries a flashlight? Yes, as you can tell, I am a newbie and I have searched some ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why carry a flashlight???

Alright, please enlighten me as to why everyone carries a flashlight?

Yes, as you can tell, I am a newbie and I have searched some as to the reason why people carry them, but didn't find anything more than a convenience for finding stuff on the floor in dark restaurants.

Please don't flame me, I am just learning about CCW and what goes along with it. I have just started carrying my pocket knife with me now, courtesy of this forum and when my permit comes in, my G19 will be with me also. I just don't understand a flashlight.

If I am in serious enough trouble to be reaching for something, I will be reaching for my gun or knife. Just my opinion.

Is it only for convenience, or am I missing something huge here?

Thanks for info and help all.

If there is a 30% chance of rain, most people carry an umbrella. There is a 100% chance that it will get dark.

Many self defense confrontation happen in the dark, in the shadows, where the badguys (like cockroaches) like to stay. Its a smart idea to have a way to illuminate those that like to hide in the shadows.

Thats the reason I carry a flashlight. The reason I carry 3-4 flashlights is because I really like flashlights. :D

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

It just seems more logical to me to stay out of the dimly light areas and places were BG's like to hangout. Just like staying away from outside ATM's in the bad parts of town at 2am.

And if you are in a dimly lit area and flash a light on a BG, what does that accomplish if he already has determined that you are his next target? More likely than not, it will startle you seeing someone you didn't expect to be there and give you less reaction time.

I personally think prevention and situational awareness would alleviate carrying a flashlight.

As of right now, I am debating carrying OC spray. I am already carrying my knife, when my permit comes, then a G19, cell phone, keys, wallet, spare mag for G19. And all those things in my eyes are neccessary. The flashlight seems to me to be an option and with all the crap I am already carrying, space is at a premium for essentials only.

Just my thoughts though.

True to a point. In a local city (pop. 80,000) in a new shopping center in a good part of town, someone was car jacked at gunpoint. At night. I eat at resteraunts in that area on a regular basis. Bad things can happen to good people in decent areas. Situational awareness is a key part of learning self defense. But that doesn't mean that you'll never get caught in the dark. By your rationalization, prevention and situational awareness would alleviate carrying a gun. Prevention and situational awareness will only get you so far. You have to get yourself the rest of the way. If its in the dark, use a flashlight.

Using a flashlight on a bad guy will do two important things.

1. allow you to identify who is there.
    2. if the flashlight is bright enough, you can temporarily blind someone. At least you will blow thier night adapted eyes.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Maver...., really good question. I've wondered the very same thing for a long time now.

I do not make it a habit of carring a light of any kind. I could carry lots of stuff on my belt and in my pocket but I don't. I have heard some people say that they carry a light to "blind or distract' their attacker. As you said,if things get this bad I'm reaching for my firearm or blade,not something to "shine" them with. Target I.D. ?? I can't think of a single sanerieo where I would need a little light to be able to decide to shoot or not to shoot. For that, the light wouldn't help. I will rely on my readieness condition,training,and pistol night sights.

Now you said "carry" a light. As said,i do not. I do have a light at home for home defense though. I have narrowed the things down that I feel will serve me best during my "time of need" when away from my "castle". One pistol, one extra mag, one fighting blade. Let me emphasize "FIGHTING". Not apple coreing,not wire stripping,not cardboard cutting. My blade is kept as confidential as my pistol.

Let me add,to each their own. The people that carry all the extra goodies aren't stupid or untrained,they just have different feelings as to what they might need in a SHingTF thing, than I do.

If you find the need to carry a light.....go fer it. --------

VIP Member
    I carry a flashlight because they don't let me carry a gun everywhere I go. I carry the Surefire E2D or Fenix L1T. Both are rather bright and the E2D has some nasty edges on it. I take them into courthouses, on airplanes etc. So far no problems. So basically my striking weapon is disguised as a flashlight. The fact that it may help disorient a BG long enough for me to get clear is a plus as well.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I carry a flashlight because they don't let me carry a gun everywhere I go. I carry the Surefire E2D or Fenix L1T. Both are rather bright and the E2D has some nasty edges on it. I take them into courthouses, on airplanes etc. So far no problems. So basically my striking weapon is disguised as a flashlight. The fact that it may help disorient a BG long enough for me to get clear is a plus as well.

Alright, I will buy this. If I can't take my weapon somewhere, then I would rather have something than nothing. Now, would it not make more sense to carry something like OC instead, if your intent is to distract the BG for an escape? Is OC considered a weapon, not allowed in these places, or is it OK to carry there?

RSSZ, I appreciate your input and your thoughts and feel the same as you.

Clipse, I can understand your reasoning, but personally, that isn't enough to justify me carrying yet another thing, when I am already chocked full. As stated above, if I need a distraction to get away, I would rather have OC than a flashlight.

Just my .02

Lead Moderator
    I would rather have a flashlight than OC. OC sometimes does not work on all people effectively. A light will semi blind a person(at night) and allow me to gain distance or retreat. Also the light helps me to
    1. properly ID the threat
    2. creates a non lethal , legal deterrent
    What if someone approaches and you flash em in the eyes ? No harm if they are not an attacker.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I agree with everything else posted and don't have anything to add to it.

I carry a Brinkman MaxFire that you can buy at Walmart or Target for under $20.

http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail...-2000-4&id=138

You definitely need a light.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

It always gets dark.

Seriously, start carrying a good quality flashlight everywhere you go and you will soon be surprised how often it gets used. I carry one all the time and use it at least once a day, even during daylight hours.

VIP Member
    Scenario I went through during my training in FLETC worked well due to using my Surefire 6P (with a P61 lamp) to ID a person coming out of a dark room with an unidentified object in his hand. The roleplayer approached my "partner" and me and I shone the light in his eyes. He immediately recoiled back and started to comply with my commands which included putting down the dark object he had in his hand....a Bible. According to my instructors, I was the only person in my class to use a flashlight....a few of my fellow students shot the role player because they had no illumination and mistook the dark object in the hand for a firearm or another deadly weapon.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

A G2 with 120 lumen head is more than distracting in bad lighting, it's blinding and painful. Even a quick flash in the eyes means temporary blindness in the dark (I tested it out on myself, youch!). That gives me a very real edge in a situation like this. I'll reach for the gun but also the light if my weak side is free and the situation leaves me the opportunity. If I can end a potentially bad situation this way so much the better.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

OK, here's my take on things:

If I am in a dark situation and there's an unknown person coming towards me and I can't see his hands or what's in them, I'm yelling something.

Whether it be, "Stay back", "Don't come any closer", or something of the sort. If he continues w/o ID'ing himself, or stating his purpose, he now becomes a BG and gets OC'd and I haul ass.

I just don't want to be loaded down with so many things that I look like a LEO with a duty belt on. I would rather have a weapon in my hand, ie OC, than a flashlight. Which would deter you more, OC to the face or someone shining a flashlight in your face?

And I believe if you spray someone in the face with OC, there will be a delay. I don't think anyone would full on charge you as soon as you sprayed them with anything, let alone OC. There would be a period of confusion as to what just happened, then the OC kicks in. And even if it doesn't affect the person severely, you still have the delayed time to make your exit.

I've been hit in the eyes with bright lights when it was dark out and needed only a couple of blinks to regain vision again, which I am equating to the delayed time of spraying someone in the face with OC, w/o the severe reaction. Both will allow you to get out of dodge, in my estimation. Then if the OC affects them, like 80% of the population, then your situation is resolved peacefully w/o violence.

Also, say you temp blind them and turn to run and they start chasing you, will shining your flashlight at them while you are running away going to affect them? How about running away while spraying OC towards them?

I still don't see a justifiable reason to make room for something that is little more than a convenience at best.

But I do love forums and debating though. This is how I learn.

Thanks.

yep...they're as useful as knives in the everyday world. I use mine when I go outside in the dark on the lawn, cleaning guns, etc., reading at nite as to not disturb the GF.
    I carry one that is big as you pinky finger around my neck. It uses 1 AAA battery and has 1 LED for a bulb. It puts out an impressive 5.5 lumens and will run that way for 5 hours before going into moon mode, which still gives you illumination to see by at dark.

I carry my G17 with a TLR-1 attached at the end. 2 reasons why I carry a light..

Mostly bumps in the night.. Since it would be wrong to pull my gun just for the light..

And my Light is also used for clearing out dark places at work.. Im not a cop, I work in a bowling alley till 2-3am, when the lights go out, we check bathrooms and unlocked doors.
    Cody

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links