Defensive Carry banner

Gun Safes

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Betty 
#1 ·
I didn't know exactly where to post this, I am looking for idea's as far as a gun safe. I looked at the 10 and 14 gun cases, i.e.; Liberty, Ft. Knox, ect..., but I think for me I'm mainly pistols, but do have a few rifles. I would like to have something to put my pistols, (6) and valubles,....jewelry, papers, ect... Any Idea's? I just can't see spending 1K on a 500lbs safe. What have you people done about this? Just curious. and thanks.....

#2 ·
I was both lucky and unlucky when it came to gun safes...my father gave me his Browning Silver Series safe (lucky :hand10: )...but I couldn't stand to look at all that empty space inside it, so I've spent lots of money trying to fill it (unlucky :redface: ) :rofl:

Seriously, I think that they are well worth having to protect your valuable assets...not just guns, but cameras, cash, important records, gold & silver, etc.

#3 ·
Thanks for the insight, Team America! I just wondered how you got your safe where it is? I agree, it is worth the $$. I was wondering also if it would be a smart move to place it in my Garage? I don't have a whole lot of room for a safe in the house.

#4 ·
Well "gun safes" come with a lot of variables. Some will advocate ones that come apart. Some will advocate a particular brand. And so on.

First you need to look at your requirments. Weight and size, capacity, features etc. Do you want to use a Goldenrod plug in dehydrator or a box of silica? Do you want nice carpet or velour type material or is wood or metal ok? Do you want door pockets for your handguns and shelves for other valubles while still having a place for long guns? Will it be just for guns or also important papers and other valuables.

How much fire protection if any do you want? Are you going to bolt it to the floor? Is it going to be in a temperature/humidity controlled house or in a garage/outbuilding? What would you say is your biggest concern that is driving the purchase of a safe? Keeping your kids out of the guns, theft from break-in, fire protection and/or just need to keep them somewhere.

What is your budget? Does your budget include money for a professional mover to put your safe in place. If you want a pro to move your safe check with the retailer or manufacturer. Many times they can recommend a mover. If you aren't going that route you can contact local movers and they will give you a quote based on weight and distance they have to move it.

Are you planning to stay in your current residence for 5+ years? Are you planning to move within 5 years? Is being able to move the safe if you move important or are you willing to sell it with your house?

Think about those items and refine your search a bit. I was doing the big safe and selling it with the house thing. I now have two smaller safes. I plan to move them when I move. That isn't an if, because I will move within five years I believe. So I now plan accordingly. I have purchase six safes so far, and if I keep going I may need another one in early 2007. I moved several of my safes myself and or with former friends. They are former because they helped move my safes. Now I use pros. A mover will bring your safe in an unmarked truck vs a safe company truck. Probably not a concern in most places, but some people prefer it to be unknown.

Anyway, chew on it and see what you come up with requirements. You may have already done all these considerations, but maybe I've given you an idea or two.

#5 ·
Scott has given some useful thoughts - I keep my safe in my office and would not choose personally to keep one in garage - that would depend tho on the available security.

I'd say too - a safe is a bit like a flat surface - it'll get filled!!! I need another but have run out of space! It's a great investment and worth all the hassle.

#6 ·
I have a American Security safe, minus the firewall (stuff is pricey).
It'll hold 16 long guns weighs in under 400 lbs. empty and cost me at the time (2004) at $330.
In comparison to what I searched and looked at, it was a steal. It didn't help that a friend sold them at like 3% over cost. Delivery charge was only $30 because about a dozen of us preordered and shipping was next to nothing (he went to L.A. to pick them up at the factory).

#7 ·
gunsavey said:
I just wondered how you got your safe where it is? .
I live in an apartment building...on the 3rd floor (without an elevator...:image035: ). It took 3 sweating, straining, grunting guys to get it up the stairs empty...I don't worry too much about it being stolen by a casual burglar :hand10:

By the way...I was one of those sweating guys...next time I move, I'm going to pay a safe moving company to haul it out of here...:yup:

#9 ·
Later today I'll post a pic or two of my Canon gun safe right after I was burglarized. The burglars found my safe, beat the crap out of it, pried at it, beat a crater in the top, and still couldn't get in.

Besides guns in the safe, I have irreplaceable jewelry and important documents. So my expensive 500lb. safe was well worth the money to me. And not having a thug running around with my USP tucked in his waistband = priceless.

Consider when buying a safe:
- capacity (something to grow into?)
- fire resistance
- locking mechanisms (combo, key, keypad?)
- warranty (mine had 100% warranty and was repaired)
- budget

My S.W.A.T. editor's house burned down last year, and he lost everything and most of his firearms, including heirloom pieces. He didn't have a fireproof safe, just those locker-type safes.

#11 ·
I have a 50 gun Liberty; it was the Lincoln model at the time, double walled with the highest fire rating, up graded to a 1/2" thick door with 14 live 1” bolts, with the Sergeant & Greenleaf electronic lock. It weighs 1500 lbs empty and makes professional movers weak in the knees when they lay eyes on it:rofl:

It is bolted to the concrete floor (1/4" slats to provide air flow, do not set steel safe on concrete it traps/draws moisture and will rust) in a corner so only the door and left side are exposed. As I shoot black powder guns and it IS a fire safe I "store" 5 1 lb cans of BP at various places inside on the left side of the safe :ahhhhh:

It sure provides peace of mind when leaving town for vacation etc.

#13 ·
What about a safe to go in an RV trailer?

I hope this is on topic *enough* (please don't yell... :boese51: I'll start a new thread if I should).
RV travel trailer safes? Any recomendations. I'd like something I can have interior accesss to but also bolt and weld through the steel underframe of the trailer. I own a old 23' fifth-wheel.
I was looking at this: http://www.handgunsafe.com/4814s.htm
and liked it because it looks heavy and rugged at 29 lbs.
Also looking at this: http://www.vlineind.com/html/hide-away.html
but the vline does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling as to security: http://www.vlineind.com/html/please_note.html
Also; which is better: key, combo, big padlock...?

#14 ·
Heres my advice....get one, and get the best one you can afford.

Guns are the only object in your house that are worth more stolen than they are new. Heres why:

Your $3000 plasma TV might sell for 1000 to a fence, who in turn could sell it for 1400 to a customer. Your 100$ DVD player will sell for $25. All these items would be considered hot, and few people will pay good money for a stolen item, HOWEVER

Felons cannot legally purchase guns, so when a thief breaks in and steals yours, he can turn around and sell them for well above face value to someone who otherwise couldnt get one. While a normal person could pass on a 100 TV, and go buy one at the store legally, felons have no choice but to purchase illegally, therefore jacking the value of stlen guns beyond what they originally were on the shelf.

So take every measure to protect them from those prying hands, and dont get too comfotable in the weight of the safe, bolt it down.

#15 ·
I promised pictures, here they are:

My safe - damaged, but not penetrated:

My front door they came through - two of my neighbors were hit that same weekend:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.