ESEE Comprehensive Survival Kit w/ ESEE-6 Knife

This is a discussion on ESEE Comprehensive Survival Kit w/ ESEE-6 Knife within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check out this survival kit I just found on Esee's site. This looks like a good starter kit and I'm interested in it. I haven't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ESEE Comprehensive Survival Kit w/ ESEE-6 Knife

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Check out this survival kit I just found on Esee's site.

This looks like a good starter kit and I'm interested in it. I haven't done a cost assessment as far as breaking down the items but I'm sure once you start to go out and purchase items individually, the price of a kit would add up quickly.

I mostly wanted to share it with you guys but also get opinions or ideas in relation as to what you might add to it or if there is another readily available kit that you know of that might be a better kit.

This kit is a complete survival kit that can be stored in your vehicle, placed in a backpack or carried by hand. This comprehensive kit focuses on all the essentials of survival and includes solid survival tools as well as a well-equipped wound management first-aid pack. The components in this kit are top-quality and some of the same items we require our jungle survival school participants to have in their kit. The container has enough storage space to add survival food rations or additional survival gear. This kit is a bargain when you figure the amount of quality gear you're getting along with an ESEE-6 knife. We reserve the right to substitute items.

Note: We do not sell these knives individually, nor do we sell this kit without the knife included.

That doesn't look too bad, but I prefer my kits to be in backpacks not duffles.

Something that includes a hydration bladder.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Having been through the Navy/Marine SERE course at NAS Brunswick, and taking over 60 hours of wilderness survival training from Bob "papa bear" Whitmore, I have put together many survival kits over the years tailor made for my specific requirements.

The kit from ESEE is a good basic kit. The components used in the kit are good quality items. ESEE, Formerly RAT Cutlery is a division of Randall's Adventure Training. They have been putting on quality jungle survival training in the South American jungles of Peru for a couple of decades as well as domestic wilderness survival here in the states.

The products they sell are not junk and are the same stuff they use in their survival school classes. If I were buying an off the shelf, commercially assembled kit, I would get the one from ESEE.

It would be a good kit to start and augment with some other items here and there. I would also find a different container for it. A small backpack or gearslinger type bag.

Mandatory components even the smallest kit include at least 3 completely different methods for starting fire (yes, fire is that important); a means to collect and purify water; two types of signal devices (audible and visual); shelter items or tools to build one; some sort of first aid kit; a quality knife with at least a 5 inch blade; some quick energy food items.

Survival kits are things you are going to stake your life on, therefore you don't want to skimp on quality items. Everything in it should be the very best and highest quality items you can afford. Don't by cheap junk just so you can have more items in it.

Here is a link to a reputable supplier of quality items for building or supplementing any kits. He's a former Marine and wilderness survival expert. John McCann runs a wilderness survival/self reliance school in New York, State and also sells quality survival/camp items. His collapsible water containers are top notch small and compact. I have bought several things from him over the last few years and he's top notch. He has an extensive website, so be sure and spend some time checking out what he has to offer. There is a wealth of information beyond just the products he sells. Lots of tips on what works and what doesn't. Survival Resources

Below is a link to an article I wrote for another forum on How To Use A Mylar Space Blanket Correctly you might be interested in.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask or send me a PM.
    TSiWRX, RMS, DefConGun and 1 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thank you Barkn' for the wealth of information and help you have given me in your response. I will definitely check out the resources you have referred to me.

I'm going to do some more research before I buy anything. The bag that Esee includes might be sufficient for the kit that I'd really like to assemble for the purpose of keeping in the back of my van. I really want a kit I can take on the road with me so if I find myself in a sticky situation, I will have atleast some provisions with me.

I know its silly but I was actually thinking of this kit when I was on my way into work this morning and it occurred to me that this kit is missing a light. For something that I'm going to keep in my van, I'd probably stick a good tac light and some extra batteries.

I also thought about communications. For something to travel with, I might consider putting a radio and or walkie talkies that might come in handy depending on the situation.

I wasn't aware of how important the fire component is so I appreciate being informed on that piece of information and I also realize that I need to keep some water with me. I might have to rotate though to make sure that I always have fresh water with me.

Isn't it strange that basic components like fire and water are components that we take for granted and yet are absolute essentials to have in survival situations.

For long term water treatment Aerobic-7 or Oxy-Stabile will treat water for long term storage. Treating water with either of those products will keep it fresh and clean for 5 years without worry of having to rotate it. Whether you are storing a liter or 100 gallons at home, it works great.

I use it in my home water storage drums and have since 1999. I have three 30 gallon drums at home. I also use it in my two 1-liter Nagene water bottles I keep in my Bug Out Bag. I also keep a bottle of Aerobic-7 in my BOB so I can treat other water later on if needed.

Be sure and read about it. It has several other uses. But a few drops on your toothbrush to brush your teeth for great oral hygiene. No need for tubes of toothpaste. Also good antiseptic in cuts and scrapes.

As far as water purifying tablets used to purify water you get in the wild, (streams, lakes, creeks, etc) the only tablets to use are either Katadyn Micro-Pur or the tablets by Aqua Mira. Those are the only two with EPA registration and takes care of all bacteria, protozoa, cysts as well as viruses. Each tablet treats one liter of water and are perfect for those Nalgene water bottles.

I keep six Katadyn Micro-Pur tablets in my daily go to work bag and about ten or fifteen of them in my BOB. You can get them at the same link I provided above.

Having safe clean water is important in any survival situation. If you come down with dysentery, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, giardia, or any type of parasitic GI infection and you are in a world of hurt. Your whole group comes to a halt and it could end up being life threatening. As a paramedic, and having years of survival training, I don't take clean water lightly. It's important.

Boiling water will kill all bacteria, cysts, protozoa, and viruses. And that is one of the methods I use. But boiling water is not always feasible. You may be in an area where you can't build a fire, or have the time to stop and build a fire. And you are limited to only boiling water in quantities equal to the size of vessel you are boiling it in.

Like fire, I have at least three completely different methods of purifying water in almost all my kits. Some may work for small quantities of water, but others will handle thousands of gallons of water. I have one system which has a one million gallon guarantee. So far it is awesome and does one gallon at a time, yet is small, lightweight and compact storage.

Again, if you have any questions or need suggestions for your kits, just ask or send me a PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thank you so much for this wealth of information and for your help Barkn'. I will read the resources you have provided and I will contact you if I have questions; thank you for this extension of help.

God bless,
    DCG

Administrator
    That Tinder-Quik is just not so great if it gets wet or you are trying to get a life saving fire going in very wet, rainy, conditions.
    Petroleum Jelly inundated Cotton balls will also not be of any help to you if they get soaked by blowing rain.

So just when you & your clothing are "soaking wet" Good Ol' Mister SUN is going down - Temps are dropping rapidly - you are losing vital body heat - everything around you is wet & slushy - that is when you need fire the most and FAST. Possibly No time to attempt to dry out cotton balls or Tinder-Quik.

By far the superior product is called WETFIRE. It is amazing stuff.
    There are two minor downsides to it & they are as follows;

(1) ~ It's comparatively expensive but, not really since you can open one package and use it for multiple fire starts in one survival session or scenario.

(2) ~ Your WETFIRE waterproof packages need to remain intact because it has about a 6 month useful life if the protective package gets unintentionally damaged or open to the air.
    Note: ~ Not really very likely if you store your packages of WetFire carefully.

The biggest plus factors of the WetFire is that it burns long & VERY HOT - it catches easily even if completely soaked - & so it can really help to "catch" less than ideal tinder that is slightly damp or not fine enough.

+1 on the WetFire. You can shave off little shavings with a razor into a little pile. You can cut the whole cube in half. You can extinguish it and safe the rest. It actually burns longer in water and will float on top of a puddle of water.

The Tinder Quick isn't too bad if you break it open and fluff it up a bit. Keep it dry. It's not as waterproof as advertised.

Cotton balls infused with Vaseline is the bomb. (in dry conditions)

All of those are pretty good tinder which will readily catch with just sparks.

I keep more than one type of tinder in my kits as well as fire sources.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Having been through the Navy/Marine SERE course at NAS Brunswick, and taking over 60 hours of wilderness survival training from Bob "papa bear" Whitmore, I have put together many survival kits over the years tailor made for my specific requirements.

The kit from ESEE is a good basic kit. The components used in the kit are good quality items. ESEE, Formerly RAT Cutlery is a division of Randall's Adventure Training. They have been putting on quality jungle survival training in the South American jungles of Peru for a couple of decades as well as domestic wilderness survival here in the states.

The products they sell are not junk and are the same stuff they use in their survival school classes. If I were buying an off the shelf, commercially assembled kit, I would get the one from ESEE.

It would be a good kit to start and augment with some other items here and there. I would also find a different container for it. A small backpack or gearslinger type bag.

Mandatory components even the smallest kit include at least 3 completely different methods for starting fire (yes, fire is that important); a means to collect and purify water; two types of signal devices (audible and visual); shelter items or tools to build one; some sort of first aid kit; a quality knife with at least a 5 inch blade; some quick energy food items.

Survival kits are things you are going to stake your life on, therefore you don't want to skimp on quality items. Everything in it should be the very best and highest quality items you can afford. Don't by cheap junk just so you can have more items in it.

Here is a link to a reputable supplier of quality items for building or supplementing any kits. He's a former Marine and wilderness survival expert. John McCann runs a wilderness survival/self reliance school in New York, State and also sells quality survival/camp items. His collapsible water containers are top notch small and compact. I have bought several things from him over the last few years and he's top notch. He has an extensive website, so be sure and spend some time checking out what he has to offer. There is a wealth of information beyond just the products he sells. Lots of tips on what works and what doesn't. Survival Resources

Below is a link to an article I wrote for another forum on How To Use A Mylar Space Blanket Correctly you might be interested in.

You should build and sell kit tailored to region. I would by one or two.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Awesome information in this thread! Thank you so much everyone for your input. Thanks for the fire starting tips QKShooter. I never realized there were so many tricks of the trade. This will give me something to study up on.

Guys, you are awesome. Thanks for your support!

Administrator
    Not to deviate too much from the topic but, one thing that cannot be included in any kit is a human brain.
    Last year I had a frustrated kid that just could not get a fire started and conditions were pretty ideal but, a bit sporadically breezy.
    My initial instructions are always..."Use whatever you have, do whatever it takes...but, I want to see something/anything burning ASAP."

Not 18" away from his frustrated person was his SHTF medical kit & he had 20 of those little disposable disinfecting Alcohol packets in there.
    One of those sure would have helped him out in a huge hurry.
    Everything has multiple usefulness aside from it's originally intended purpose.
    DefConGun likes this.

The bepreparedtosurvive.com website has a kit that comes in water proof case;

That's an awesome idea.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Not to deviate too much from the topic but, one thing that cannot be included in any kit is a human brain.
    Last year I had a frustrated kid that just could not get a fire started and conditions were pretty ideal but, a bit sporadically breezy.
    My initial instructions are always..."Use whatever you have, do whatever it takes...but, I want to see something/anything burning ASAP."

Not 18" away from his frustrated person was his SHTF medical kit & he had 20 of those little disposable disinfecting Alcohol packets in there.
    One of those sure would have helped him out in a huge hurry.
    Everything has multiple usefulness aside from it's originally intended purpose.
    I could not agree more QKShooter. Adaptability is key and creative solutions can keep us alive.

The first aid kits from Adventure Medical Kits (AMK) John sells at Survival Resources (bepreparedtosurvive.com) are excellent.

As a paramedic, I custom make most of my first aid and trauma kits, but I chose the AMK .9 kit to put in my BOB because it is an excellent First Aid Kit (FAK) in the $35-$40 price range. Of course I augmented it with some of my own goodies to supercharge it a bit, but it's an excellent FAK in and of itself.

Also the AMK .7 kit shown in the picture you posted above is pretty good one too. The nice things about Adventure Medical Kits (AMK) is they put their stuff in these awesome waterproof bags from ALOKSAK. They are heavy duty and tested by the US Navy. Certified to be waterproof to 200 ft for 2 weeks. John also sells the ALOKSAK bags on his website, or you can get them from the manufacturer in the hyperlink I provided.

Here is a direct link to Adventure Medical Kits (AMK) to see all they have to offer. They have a wide range of products including decent survival blankets called Heat Sheets which looks like one is included in the kit you posted in the picture in your post.

The Ultralight Series are excellent like I already mentioned for survival kits. They come in cool ultralight water resistant silicone coated ripstop nylon bags and use the Aloksak bags inside for double water protection.
    DefConGun likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

Very good article.

Thanks for sharing. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links