Ultimate Night Stand Light?

This is a discussion on Ultimate Night Stand Light? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Aaron1100us My TK45. Brighter than the headlights on a car. It is not a thrower, it has a flood beam but lights ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Ultimate Night Stand Light?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    My TK45. Brighter than the headlights on a car. It is not a thrower, it has a flood beam but lights up a large area. These pictures don't do it justice. It is brighter in real life.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

]
    That is awesome. A beam that spreads and lights up a large area like the one you are showing is what I was talking about as far as what I am looking for in a light that is kept in the house. 800 lumen would really light up the yard if you heard a varmint outside.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I'm lusting after some of the lights from this thread.

I'm a flashlight enthusiast who's been out of the hobby since about 2004. You can pretty much date me from my collection - I still have a Surefire L6 in the trunk of my car, along with a Mr.Bulk VIP with BBH in the study. I've carried my E2D/MN02 for many years now (I've gotten 4 replacement clips from SureFire, so that tells you how much I've carried it), and I've got more Insight M3s than probably most gun-shops in my area. I've re-kindled my participation a bit in the recent months, since entering "the gun world," with the purchase of a SureFire Z2S LED for carry, updating my E2D (which will likely eventually receive a Milkoff make-over), as well as a SureFire 618LM for my Remington 870.

The C2/KL3/Z48 combo works really well for the nightstand, but again speaking to my "age" in the hobby, there's a SureFire M6/MN21 in the bedroom nightstand.

So with the admission that I do like really bright lights, I also have a word of friendly advice to my fellow DC members here:

Be sure that your flashlight fits your usage needs/wants.

Like Aaron1100us and DefConGun are discussing, the beam throw/spill is something that needs to be given thoughts about - as well as the "brightness" of the flashlight. A tight, hot, long-throw beam may be great for reaching out to the depths of your country property, but if you live in an apartment, that piercingly bright beam from the two-billion-mega-lumens flashlight may well near-blind you and make you less combat-effective due to the glare that reflects off your white indoor walls, TV-screen, window-glass, or aquarium.

The flashlight is a tool: be sure you're using it to your advantage.

Sure, there's that hot-buring M6 in my nightstand, but there's also a "Hurricane Lamp" in there, and inside the quick-access safe is a set-to-strobe Gladius, supplemented by my on-pistol Insight M3.

Use the right tool for the right job.

That said, I do want a new high-powered LED for my collection.
    DefConGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    I'm lusting after some of the lights from this thread.

I'm a flashlight enthusiast who's been out of the hobby since about 2004. You can pretty much date me from my collection - I still have a Surefire L6 in the trunk of my car, along with a Mr.Bulk VIP with BBH in the study. I've carried my E2D/MN02 for many years now (I've gotten 4 replacement clips from SureFire, so that tells you how much I've carried it), and I've got more Insight M3s than probably most gun-shops in my area. I've re-kindled my participation a bit in the recent months, since entering "the gun world," with the purchase of a SureFire Z2S LED for carry, updating my E2D (which will likely eventually receive a Milkoff make-over), as well as a SureFire 618LM for my Remington 870.

The C2/KL3/Z48 combo works really well for the nightstand, but again speaking to my "age" in the hobby, there's a SureFire M6/MN21 in the bedroom nightstand.

So with the admission that I do like really bright lights, I also have a word of friendly advice to my fellow DC members here:

Be sure that your flashlight fits your usage needs/wants.

Like Aaron1100us and DefConGun are discussing, the beam throw/spill is something that needs to be given thoughts about - as well as the "brightness" of the flashlight. A tight, hot, long-throw beam may be great for reaching out to the depths of your country property, but if you live in an apartment, that piercingly bright beam from the two-billion-mega-lumens flashlight may well near-blind you and make you less combat-effective due to the glare that reflects off your white indoor walls, TV-screen, window-glass, or aquarium.

The flashlight is a tool: be sure you're using it to your advantage.

Sure, there's that hot-buring M6 in my nightstand, but there's also a "Hurricane Lamp" in there, and inside the quick-access safe is a set-to-strobe Gladius, supplemented by my on-pistol Insight M3.

Use the right tool for the right job.

That said, I do want a new high-powered LED for my collection.
    It is definitely a good time for torches. With the lights that are coming out now, I'm sure some will call this time the good ole days in years to come.

Agreed, a flashlight is a tool and must be used within a set of given parameters.

You might want to check out the offerings that Elzetta has out now. They have interchangeable components so that you can change or upgrade your light according to whatever configuration you desire. No need to buy an entire new light if you simply want a different feature. A great idea, IMO. Order Elzetta Tactical Lighting Products Online

^ How neat!!! Thank you!

for night stand use i have a regular old rechargeable spot light, miilion candle power or so??? for the price ,$10, i dont think you can beat it

^ The rechargeable part of the equation is the only real concern (switchgear ergos and bulk/heft will differ, i.e. I can actually see myself using my rechargeable 18V Hitachi, which has an aftermarket LED star, decently well in a "tactical" situation) - but as long as you're good about keeping it charged, you're good-to-go.

hopefully in a few months i can afford to buy one. In the meantime im using my goodold Maglite
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

This thread reminds me of this :flashlight-youll-never-need

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    This thread reminds me of this :flashlight-youll-never-need
    Lol. I don't think I'll need my flashlight to record video. I just want it to do what its supposed to do when I want it to do it.

You know the funny thing is that we've been talking about big mega-lumen lights and here lately my little mag-lite that I keep in my room for various little odd and in stuff that I do, has been missing and its driving me crazy! I never realized how much I used that little light. Its the AA LED version. Its maybe 10-15 lumen but it is perfect for finding things you've dropped and any other small task you might find yourself needing a torch for, etc. If it doesn't show up soon, I'm going to replace it with another inexpensive light.

I've been thinking about this one;
    4Sevens Quark MiNi AA Flashlight Cree XP-G R5 LED 90 Lumens
    Levels of Output:
    Low (2.7 lumens, 60 hours)
    Medium (25 lumens, 8 hours)
    High (90 lumens, 1.3 hours)
    $37.00 +$5.99 shipping
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--4Sevens...ashlight--8763

I think the Mag is $10 less but uses two batteries and can't match the output of this light.

I don't mean to side track my own thread...just a little tid bit I'd throw in the mix when it comes to discussing a utility light.

Correction...I just looked at the Maglite that is like the one I have that is missing. It has been updated and now puts out 69 Lumen while using 2 AAs.

Here you go. Nice light good price. I have the Coleman max 137 lumens for $20.

I might have to get one of these.

Coleman - Ultra High Power LED Aluminum Flashlight -
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Here you go. Nice light good price. I have the Coleman max 137 lumens for $20.

I might have to get one of these.

Coleman - Ultra High Power LED Aluminum Flashlight -
    I forgot about the Colemans. I've seen the little one at Wal-Mart and have been curious about it. Please let us know if you get the 500 Lumen model and let us know how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    You know the funny thing is that we've been talking about big mega-lumen lights and here lately my little mag-lite that I keep in my room for various little odd and in stuff that I do, has been missing and its driving me crazy! I never realized how much I used that little light. Its the AA LED version. Its maybe 10-15 lumen but it is perfect for finding things you've dropped and any other small task you might find yourself needing a torch for, etc. If it doesn't show up soon, I'm going to replace it with another inexpensive light.

I've been thinking about this one;
    4Sevens Quark MiNi AA Flashlight Cree XP-G R5 LED 90 Lumens
    Levels of Output:
    Low (2.7 lumens, 60 hours)
    Medium (25 lumens, 8 hours)
    High (90 lumens, 1.3 hours)
    $37.00 +$5.99 shipping
    4Sevens Quark MiNi AA Flashlight Cree XP-G R5 LED 90 Lumens - Blade HQ

I think the Mag is $10 less but uses two batteries and can't match the output of this light.

I don't mean to side track my own thread...just a little tid bit I'd throw in the mix when it comes to discussing a utility light.
    No, no, I agree completely - the mega-lights do have their use, but indeed, it's the lower output (or variable output), smaller, handier flashlights that typically bear the brunt of the work, for the vast majority of "everyday" uses.

My C2/KL3/Z48, with an actual-factory-stock (I have another one that was upgraded by a friend of mine ) KL3 head is neither a thrower nor puts out anywhere near an overwhelming amount of light, but it gets used *all the time* in our upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms. It's handy, and with the CR123 primaries, it virtually never runs out of juice.

Downstairs, it's the same thing. I've got a half-dozen or so of rather powerful flashlights to pick from, just laying around in my study, but the one we use the most is my 5-year-old-daughter's Fenix P2D.

It's not to say that there's no place for the mega-output lights: just that the "average" ones are typically the most useful workhorses.

A lot of the newer flashlights have multiple modes ranging from just a few lumens to several hundred. My Quark Preon 1 runs on a single AAA and can go from Low (1.8 Lumens, 23 hours) to High (70 Lumens, 0.8 hours). Likewise, my Quark 123 can go from Moonlight (0.2 lumens for 15 days) to Max (205 lumens for 0.8 hours)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links