Shot timer review or recommendations

This is a discussion on Shot timer review or recommendations within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you own or use a shot timer? I'm thinking about buying one for dry fire and range drills and have narrowed it ...

Thread: Shot timer review or recommendations

Question Shot timer review or recommendations

Do any of you own or use a shot timer? I'm thinking about buying one for dry fire and range drills and have narrowed it down to the

Pocket Pro 2 shot timer or

The CED 7000

Both are the same price at Midway and Brownells. If you have one, would you look at the features of the other and compare them? How about reliability and toughness?

Random start beep? Par setting?

I could really use some help here...

2. Remove Ads

if you have a smart phone there are apps you can use

I use Westerner Speed Timers. I have both the regular and the airsoft timers and have had good luck with them over a number of years.

Westerner Speed Timers - Action Shooting Timing equipment
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    if you have a smart phone there are apps you can use
    Yes, I have two apps on my phone but I can't set par times, it is not easy to set up sensitivity levels, and the beep is not particularly loud. I've been trying the phone but it just isn't cutting it.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    A quick tag-along question:

Are there any timers that have an earphone output, so that I can shunt the start/end beeps to my earphones?

I'd like to not disturb anyone else, when I'm in an indoor range.

A side note: If you are at a range with multiple other shooters, it is not unusual for timers to pick up the shots of others, thereby screwing up your numbers.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have the Pocket Pro and I think it's great. It's a little large, but that means that the buttons are easy to press and you won't press the wrong one. I also like that the display is on the side so that when you clip it to the belt (which is what I do all the time when I practice), you can see your time by looking down instead of picking it up and turning the device to see the screen. The Pocket Pro display is also very large and easy to see.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A side note: If you are at a range with multiple other shooters, it is not unusual for timers to pick up the shots of others, thereby screwing up your numbers.
    Thank you for that warning. Indeed, that's something that I know I'll have to deal with and/or be resigned to, given especially that most of my solo practice occurs at the more nearby indoor ranges, especially through the winter months.

CED 7000 would be my vote. I have the black subdued version (black buttons) and I love the ease of use over the others I have tried. Just alot more information displayed on the screen than the others, but not anything useless. Multiple par times, custom par times, just all kinds of features (even a stealth mode for timing competitors). Oh, and the two big buttons on the top are really handy for me when I'm resetting the string of fire.
    Last edited by rbh32; September 16th, 2011 at 01:10 AM. Reason: more info.

If you (or any who end up reading this thread) have an iPhone/pad/pod touch check out 'shot timer'. I've been reasonably pressed with it's indoor performance at the range once I got good samples of all my shot profiles and I think I could pipe it into my ears though I haven't tried. Guess I'll have to take a cable with me this weekend.

-424D57

Thanks

Thanks after reading this thread I downloaded a shot timer app for my phone. I hope it does what I want, and then I can save about $120 bucks. My goal is to be able to time from holster to 1 shot, and then also regular idpa uses.

Links