Ways to stow at front door?

This is a discussion on Ways to stow at front door? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a motion detection light on the front and back of my house, solid storm doors and solid core interior doors. Side windows next ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ways to stow at front door?

I have a motion detection light on the front and back of my house, solid storm doors and solid core interior doors. Side windows next to the front door allow for looking at the front door area. I can open the interior door if I choose as we keep the storm doors locked and I am not shy about having a gun in my hand behind my back. I also am never unarmed, in or out of the house as long as it is legal to carry. Home invasions were all the rage in this area not all that long ago.
    Stay safe, Frank.

2. Remove Ads

One method which works rather well described by Ayoob in a magazine article about 15 - 20 years ago is to hold your gun in a regular shooting grip with your dominant hand (finger outside trigger guard and along side of frame, of course) and then slip an open print magazine (Guns and Ammo perhaps) under your dominant thumb so that it lays on top of the gun.

Keep the gun pointed at the "low ready" with your hand turned 90 degrees with your palm up so that when you answer the door, all they see is you holding a magazine and assume you were sitting around reading when they came to the door.

If it turns out to be a friend or someone you invite into your house, you can merely set the gun down on a coffee table or something else and the magazine "you were reading", will continue to cover the gun, yet it will still be accessible.

If it is a bad guy at the door trying to push their way in, you merely have to step back one or two steps and let the magazine slide from your hand as you bring the gun up to shoot.

I've actually used this method a few times and it works well. My wife used it once when we lived in a bad neighborhood and someone knocked at the door. She was using some cross stitch project she was working on instead of a magazine and had an SP-101 in her hand beneath it. It turned out to be a state trooper at the door and was inquiring about one of our neighbors. She laid the gun and the cross stitch down on the back of the sofa and he never knew she had a gun pointed at his gut when she answered the door.

Now, we both either have a ruger LCP in a pocket when we answer the door or I have my primary holstered and concealed. But it is a method which works well and the gun is immediately accessible without having to perform a draw as the gun is already in hand with a solid shooting grip on the gun in a low ready position.
    Hoganbeg, PAcanis and NY27 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    My front door, besides having a deadbolt, has a speaker for answering a knock and also has a door wedge alarm as well as a door security bar for added layer of protection. Since my bedroom is not that far away and my entire suite is on just on the entire floor, I have my guns ready for immediate use in a gunvault safe in the closet of my bedroom. If hear an unannounced knock , it will be answered with a pistol in the ready position as I take concealment and bark, "Who is there?!!!!". However, if I am expecting someone such as Chinese food deliveryrelative/girlfriend at my front door, I look at the peephole while carrying my plannerbook with a pistol concealed in it. You never know also if that expected visitor could be under duress so that is another precautionary measure that I take just in case.

Best place would be concealed in a holster on your person.

Quote Originally Posted by sinzitu View Post
    Big +1.

Think through various situations. You are sitting on the couch and someone kicks in the door. Obviously it depends on how your house is constructed, but in many cases it would be dicey if you could get to your firearm in time.

Now what if you just got up and are in the kitchen to get popcorn? How far are you from your firearm? What is the line of sight from where the door is to where you are? How long would it take them to move to a place where they could get line of sight on you?

Also remember, you are *reacting*, so if they have guns drawn and are looking for you, you are at a slight disadvantage anyway.

The only situation that consistently ensures your firearm is near enough to be useful is on your person. Especially in the case of a home invasion where they may employ a dynamic entry, or a quiet entry (think "bump keys"), or a distraction (one person gets you to answer the door, others are hiding).

Also keep in mind they might come from different places -- front door, back door, window. Front and back door simultaneously.

Around here the trend seems to be increasing numbers in the invading party. Stuff like a woman knocks on the door, and then three armed guys are hiding out of sight.

Of course, as others have indicated, you should have layers of security, and while we are somewhat hardwired to answer the door, we don't have to. There are also devices to allow you to open the door somewhat to talk to the person, but prevent them from forcing their way in.

-john

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinzitu View Post
    I agree but since I prefer to wear either shorts and tanktop or sweats, carrying it in a holster would not be practical. There are other options but it is easy to misplace the pistol somewhere else. Again, my bedroom is close to the kitchen, which is beside my living room at my apartment suite.

When not on my person, on top of the Hutch which is 3 feet from the front door. I have a 2 & 4 year old, keep them up high.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    When not on my person, on top of the Hutch which is 3 feet from the front door. I have a 2 & 4 year old, keep them up high.

Jim
    Won't the kids get nosebleeds from extended time at altitude?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Won't the kids get nosebleeds from extended time at altitude?
    That's the idea. Thinner o2 will make them stronger, if not more light-headed.

JIm

VIP Member
    I have a full length triple-pane glass entry door so I can easily see the person through the non-frosted areas. If its dark the entry light turns on and blinds them from seeing through the glass. I try to keep the gun in my pocket, holster or in a cleverly designed storage case on the shelve next to the entry. Likewise, I always have a Kimber Pepper Blaster in my right rear pocket until I hit the sack. I plan on replacing that with a pocket taser or mouse gun.

Regardless of how dedicated, I don’t want to be wearing my 'primary carry' while I’m flopped on the sofa watching TV with my dogs.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

From the situations in which I'm aware, if you didn't have the gun in your hand.... and someone wants to bust in past you, if the gun is not on you or your hand, then it's unlikely you will have any chance to get to it. It's always on me or in my hand when I answer the door.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

As I am sitting at my computer I have my Sig P229 on my hip & a 12 rd mag in my off-hand pocket...
    I am always armed if it is legal to do so...

Why would you take it off at home just because you have a sense of security? If you live in a nice neighborhood it is PRESUMED safe, but do crooks go to rob poor people? Do not be taken in by false security./..
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

My "Front Door Protection System":

1. Security Front Door I painted mine to match my stucco.

2. Sabre Spray This stuff is NASTY. I live in Albuquerque, NM and both the APD and County Sheriff's Office use this stuff. Combination of Mace, CS Tear Gas, and Dye to mark the attacker. I have this in my pocket during all waking hours, at the store, in the car, at home...it's small, it's inconspicuous, and it f*cks someone up!

3. Sabre Gatekeeper No, I don't work for Sabre, lol. Local firearms dealer had a sale so I picked this up. Wedge it under the front door. Not only does it slow/stop the door from opening, the 120db shriek is LOUD! Would definitely wake most from a deep sleep.

I feel pretty secure with those things. Plus I have two small windows on either side of my front door, with slat blinds. I can see out, but it's hard for someone to see in. I hit the switch for my porch light, and they're bathed in halogen blinding-ness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    One method which works rather well described by Ayoob in a magazine article about 15 - 20 years ago is to hold your gun in a regular shooting grip with your dominant hand (finger outside trigger guard and along side of frame, of course) and then slip an open print magazine (Guns and Ammo perhaps) under your dominant thumb so that it lays on top of the gun.
    I like this. I don't want to be paranoid about everytime someone comes to the door but I also don't want it to "happen to me" either.

I have spent the majority of my protection budget on stuff like security lights, frame-mounted deadbolts, bars, etc. I figure the best protection is to keep them out in the first place. Answering the door is still a vulnerability.

I have a tough time carrying my j-frames around because I wear clothes that don't support it often (pajama pants, etc). One answer would be to dress around the gun but I'm not going to sacrafice my own comfort in my own home either. I want the cake and eat it too, I've seen a lot of recommends for something like an lcp in the pocket. I think an lcp, pf9, or similar would be able to integrate into my home attire and attitude because I would like to carry all the time at home but I want it to be really easy also - not only for me but for my wife when I'm not around. She wears stuff that doesn't even have waist bands or pockets, that's what initially made me think waist pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    First off, I have a very solid storm door that is locked, both front and rear doors. I am always armed, holster at 3:00.
    Yup I have a storm door with small trim metal frame. Glass like on a car windshield. Safety for when my girls answer the door. Gives enough time to shut the main door and get cover.
    You barely notice the doors there and still can see the main door which has Aesthetics. Important to my wife not me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links