Ways to stow at front door?

This is a discussion on Ways to stow at front door? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jtmoose I have a tough time carrying my j-frames around because I wear clothes that don't support it often (pajama pants, etc). ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ways to stow at front door?

Quote Originally Posted by jtmoose View Post
    I have a tough time carrying my j-frames around because I wear clothes that don't support it often (pajama pants, etc). One answer would be to dress around the gun but I'm not going to sacrafice my own comfort in my own home either. I want the cake and eat it too, I've seen a lot of recommends for something like an lcp in the pocket. I think an lcp, pf9, or similar would be able to integrate into my home attire and attitude because I would like to carry all the time at home but I want it to be really easy also - not only for me but for my wife when I'm not around. She wears stuff that doesn't even have waist bands or pockets, that's what initially made me think waist pack.
    I got a kydex neck holster for my LCP for times when I'm wearing sweats or shorts without a pocket. I can wear the LCP around my neck under any shirt. Yeah, it prints a little depending on the size of the shirt, but hey, it's my house, right? I can do what I want in my house.

I'm pretty sure you can get kydex neck holsters for J-frames as well. Might be a bit more bulky than a Ruger LCP or Kel Tec, but it's something to consider.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

While we do have other guns around the house, we have one in a hide-a-gun picture frame right inside the front door. Out of sight but easily accessed

I think keeping a fire arm by the door is a bad idea. If I open the door to someone I shouldn't the first thing I am going to do is try and close the door, wether I get the door closed or not I will then put some distance between me and what ever is trying to get in. Why would you want your weapon right at the door were the most danger is? What happens if you close the door but the intruder starts putting rounds through it while you are standing there getting your weapon? The idea of having a weapon in a lock box close to the door is even worse, as home invasions happen fast do you really think you have enough time to enter a code even a simple code and take care of the problem before you are dead? I am glad I don't have to worry about this or be so paranoid that every time I go to the door I have a pistol in my hand with something draped over it or have it hiding behind my back. Wait i guess my pistol is hiding behind my back, well at about 4 in it's holster and it's ready and waiting for me wether I'm going to stand and fight or retreat to cover before the fight. Another big plus is no matter what door I'm at or how fast I need to move it follows me around.
    Here is some more to think about. You are setting in you chair watching your show when you hear your who ever (Son, Daughter, Wife, friend, I don't care) who has been out late for what ever reason and is just getting home yell for help. What are you going to do first, grab your weapon or go and see what the problem is? Well with you weapon on you you only have one thing to worry about and at that point of wonder, excitement, confusion and fear you will not forget an important tool and when it turns out to be a spider or big bug you won't look like a crazed wacko with a gun in his hand running around half cocked.

I have a Keltec 9mm on a bookshelf 2 steps to left of the hinge side of the front door. gun is behind some stuffed collectible bears on the side reachable with my right hand. I never carry that gun. It is always there...no children in house. Goes to range once a year.

Well if someone comes to my house unannounced I just answerer the door necked. I found this useful in fights to no one wants to fight a necked guy. lol Just joking I'm not that paranoid I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I think keeping a fire arm by the door is a bad idea. If I open the door to someone I shouldn't the first thing I am going to do is try and close the door, wether I get the door closed or not I will then put some distance between me and what ever is trying to get in. Why would you want your weapon right at the door were the most danger is? What happens if you close the door but the intruder starts putting rounds through it while you are standing there getting your weapon? The idea of having a weapon in a lock box close to the door is even worse, as home invasions happen fast do you really think you have enough time to enter a code even a simple code and take care of the problem before you are dead? I am glad I don't have to worry about this or be so paranoid that every time I go to the door I have a pistol in my hand with something draped over it or have it hiding behind my back. Wait i guess my pistol is hiding behind my back, well at about 4 in it's holster and it's ready and waiting for me wether I'm going to stand and fight or retreat to cover before the fight. Another big plus is no matter what door I'm at or how fast I need to move it follows me around.
    Here is some more to think about. You are setting in you chair watching your show when you hear your who ever (Son, Daughter, Wife, friend, I don't care) who has been out late for what ever reason and is just getting home yell for help. What are you going to do first, grab your weapon or go and see what the problem is? Well with you weapon on you you only have one thing to worry about and at that point of wonder, excitement, confusion and fear you will not forget an important tool and when it turns out to be a spider or big bug you won't look like a crazed wacko with a gun in his hand running around half cocked.
    There are a lot of good points which are very valid in your post. Too many things can cause you to back away from that gun which is placed in a stationary location close to the door. They could be pushing you back by forcing their way in, they could be shooting through your door or any number of things which may prevent you from retrieving that gun which is stored by the door. There's nothing worse than having a gun so close, yet oh so far away when you need it most.

Everyone has to consider their own particular circumstances and try to look at the possible unknown situations which could cause you not to be able to retrieve that weapon.

Years ago, I used to keep a gun close to the front door. I got away from that tactic long ago opting to answer the door with my gun either in my hand, in my holster (on my hip), or in my pocket. That way it's always with me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If it's a true home invasion, you won't have time to "grab one" or 'go get one'. Good luck. Mine is on me or in my hand.

And, if I don't know you, I won't be answering the door for you. Why would I ? Anyone coming to my house past 7 p.m. that knows me , also knows to call me first and let me know they are coming.

It's like the "ringing" telephone. I would love to do a study on it. It seems to me, 90% of the people seem compelled to answer a phone when it rings, they cannot ignore it, no matter what. I don't have that compulsion either.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links