Ways to stow at front door?

This is a discussion on Ways to stow at front door? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From my understanding, many home invasions occur when answering the front door. The A answer to avoid that problem, is to not answer the door ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ways to stow at front door?

From my understanding, many home invasions occur when answering the front door. The A answer to avoid that problem, is to not answer the door but that seems unrealistic. What are some ideas to keep a gun at the front door. I was thinking a little waist pack so it be put on quickly regardless of attire. Any different ideas or waist pack suggestions?

In my hand behind my back or concealed behind the door itself remaining unseen.
    My place is very small and if my gun isn't on my person it is within 2 or 3 steps of me.

If you have others that live with you, that may not be a realistic option. Best place would be in a holster on your person.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I think the answer is not in the carrying of a firearm, it's in the layers of security or fortification or visibility of your front door access.

Motion detectors, home alarm, peephole, side windows, video monitors, lighting and a well installed front door with longer screws to increase your reaction time are better than trying to hold the door with your foot after you've already opened it without even looking.

If you can look and see there are scruffy looking people there you just don't open the door and you call 9-11 if appropriate. Trying to draw down on and shoot 3-6 people bent on barging in your door (front and back simultaneously) is going to be a losing proposition even if you have two people armed with shotguns.

Most predators skilled in home invasion know what works and will easily defeat the naive homeowner even if the HO is armed.

$.02
    ironmike86 likes this.

First off, I have a very solid storm door that is locked, both front and rear doors. I am always armed, holster at 3:00.
    ncsteveh likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    I don't carry around the house, but have micro-safes abundantly bolted-down and hidden, including near the front door.

If I am awake I am carrying, always always always. When I go to sleep it is on my nightstand, when I shower it is right outside the shower. I would just make sure your place is bolted up nice and tight and always carry when you are at home.

While at home, I either have a firearm on my person or within an arm's reach away.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We mounted a 3 oz can of Mean Green Pepper Spray by our front door, since my husband and I don't always carry when at home.
    Hoganbeg and ccman like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Or this:

"Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    I would look for ways to incorporate the gun into the architecture or decor of your home. Like if you have a table near the front door, maybe a decorative looking box on the table containing a pistol- you get the idea. The only downside of that is securing the gun while you are away. I'd hate for you to do something like that, only to have armed a burglar whom wouldn't have been otherwise.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My answer, is just that I carry when I am awake.

But here is a question for you, how often do you answer the front door? I ask because it has been my experience it happens MAYBE once a day.

So why do you feel a need to secure a weapon just for that? Do you usually have a firearm handy while you are around the home? If so, why not just take it with you when you go answer the door?

If not, that is your choice, but I personally think if you are going to take SD seriously, that the threat doesn't end at your door, and you should have a firearm easily accessible.

Or just go with your normal holster, and blade your body so it is not viewable to who answers the door.
    joker1 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Not too long ago I saw a pepper spray solution that involved a mounted canister near the door and a plastic tube penetrating the interior and exterior walls, coming out onto the porch area in some inconspicuous spot. So, you stay safely inside while you fog the would-be intruders. I forget where I saw it but it wouldn't be too hard to find again. I like the concept; Mongo like!

On one side of the front door I have a medium large can of pepper spray next to my 5-cell flashlight. On the other side I have a walking stick. Due to our front gate and dog I usually know who is coming before they reach the door. Also, I will typically take a peek out of one of the other windows to check for other people, cars in the driveway/on the street, etc. When I don't know ahead of time I answer with gun in hand, out of sight of the caller. If it is innocuous, I can set the firearm/pepper spray down onto the cat furniture which is right there tucked around the corner. That way I don't frighten anyone who doesn't need it. So far, friends and neighbors haven't a clue.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I ALWAYS have a gun within arms reach. My .357 is sitting about 1' away from my left hand. My .45 is on the bed 6' away, and the 12ga is on the far side of the bed, just under the edge. I can use the wheelgun to get to the .45, and the .45 to get to the 12ga.

Possibly not the best plan, but better than having all of them out of reach.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

We have our guns in the bedroom, and the purpose of the gun at the door is because it puts it right in the living room area and higher risk area of the house. Sometimes I carry around the house, but there are times when I don't. I've had a few times when we get unexpected visitors during those times. Also, my wife doesn't carry during the day while at home and sometimes has unexpected visitors.

I like the idea to have it near the door, perhaps mounted behind some wall decor. Obviously, the best answer is to already have it on you, but from re-reading your post you don't always have it nearby, and I can understand that. That would probably mean though that you would not always have the fanny pack nearby either... Murphy's Law and all. It sounds like you are looking for a way to keep a dedicated gun near where you might need it, the front door.
    First off, I don't ever have any kids in the house. If I was to want a dedicated door gun, it would probably be something as simple as in a pouch hanging from the inside knob. That way I could open the door partially and have my hand on the gun, shoulder bracing the door from easily being pushed open. No one on the other side would even know. And if you suddenly need both hands to sign a petition, buy some cookies for school or something, you don't need to reholster in front of your neighbor five doors down you never see. What they don't know won't hurt you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links