Concealing a Spare Magazine

This is a discussion on Concealing a Spare Magazine within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks everyone for your suggestions and links to holders! Y'all brought up some issues I hadn't considered such as needing to wear pants/belts of a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Concealing a Spare Magazine

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and links to holders! Y'all brought up some issues I hadn't considered such as needing to wear pants/belts of a larger size, 2 IWB being an issue, etc. Thanks again, guys!

2. Remove Ads

I carry spares mags in a remora soft mag pouch in my weak side rear pocket

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Those who are new to carrying may ask a logical follow-up question to that: "Why would you carry the magazine in a magazine holder, when the mag is going into your pocket?"

The answer is because you'll want to keep the mag's critical feed-lips from potential damage and/or getting gunked up (which, don't forget, can also happen to that nice big void in the tip of your favorite hollow-point defensive rounds - Google how many times people have discovered a Tic-Tac there ), as well as help keep the magazine in a specific orientation, so that when you're accessing it in a true emergency reload, you're jamming a backward-facing magazine into your pistol.

Also, with some guns/magazines, there's a tendency for that first round to pop out. Kahr mags are a good example. Having a good pocket-holster for the mag will also insure that you won't wind up with an empty mag, when you pull it out of your pocket under an emergency reload.

-------

Quote Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and links to holders! Y'all brought up some issues I hadn't considered such as needing to wear pants/belts of a larger size, 2 IWB being an issue, etc. Thanks again, guys!
    Different people will see different results. For me, it was never a problem with my pants - but I had to up-size my belts.

There's a lot of variables, when it comes to concealed-carry.

-----

I hadn't thought of 2 IWB being a problem. I don't wear skin-tight pants, but they are still fitted. I was just at a defensive handgun course in WV a couple weeks ago & had a cheap OWB dual holder, but I don't like it. I was open carrying at the class, so it wasn't an issue. But I could never conceal it. And it did make my pants/belt pretty tight.
    Don't judge all OWB by the basis of your sole interaction with that cheapie. Good OWB concealment rigs will ride the gun (or accessory) "high and tight." The former gets the item up and away from the hem of your cover clothing, preventing that flash of "what the heck is on that person's belt?" when you're reaching up for, say, groceries on a high shelf. The latter confers stability, which in-turn translates to both better comfort as well as not only more security when you're moving around in your daily business, but also when you're drawing.

I like the Remora mag pouch as well. Tucks in the waist or sits in a cargo pocket without flopping around.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ Those who are new to carrying may ask a logical follow-up question to that: "Why would you carry the magazine in a magazine holder, when the mag is going into your pocket?"

The answer is because you'll want to keep the mag's critical feed-lips from potential damage and/or getting gunked up (which, don't forget, can also happen to that nice big void in the tip of your favorite hollow-point defensive rounds - Google how many times people have discovered a Tic-Tac there ), as well as help keep the magazine in a specific orientation, so that when you're accessing it in a true emergency reload, you're jamming a backward-facing magazine into your pistol.

Also, with some guns/magazines, there's a tendency for that first round to pop out. Kahr mags are a good example. Having a good pocket-holster for the mag will also insure that you won't wind up with an empty mag, when you pull it out of your pocket under an emergency reload.

-------

Different people will see different results. For me, it was never a problem with my pants - but I had to up-size my belts.

There's a lot of variables, when it comes to concealed-carry.

-----

Don't judge all OWB by the basis of your sole interaction with that cheapie. Good OWB concealment rigs will ride the gun (or accessory) "high and tight." The former gets the item up and away from the hem of your cover clothing, preventing that flash of "what the heck is on that person's belt?" when you're reaching up for, say, groceries on a high shelf. The latter confers stability, which in-turn translates to both better comfort as well as not only more security when you're moving around in your daily business, but also when you're drawing.
    I had noticed that OWB tended to ride pretty high. Does this tend to cause a comfort issue with it poking you in the ribs?

Pardon my ignorance, but I thought magazine and clips were interchangeable terms & meant the same thing?
    While the two terms are often used interchangeably, they are not the same thing.

A magazine is something that holds ammunition and is inserted into a firearm. The ammo is fed from the magazine into the chamber. This is true whether the firearm is a handgun or a long gun.

A clip is something that holds ammunition and transfers it into a blind box in the firearm. A clip (stripper clip) can also hold ammo for transfer into a magazine which is then inserted into the firearm.

The overwhelming majority of firearms with a removable device for holding ammo use a magazine.

The best example of a clip-fed firearm is the M1 Garand. The only clip-fed handgun that I am familiar with is the Broomhandle Mauser, though there may be others

5.56x45 is commonly sold in stripper clips, the end of which is inserted into an adapter fastened to a magazine and the ammo then pressed into the magazine.
    CountryGal likes this.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Spot the spare mag?

Keep in mind that this is without my cover shirt.
    Attached Images
    CountryGal likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I had noticed that OWB tended to ride pretty high. Does this tend to cause a comfort issue with it poking you in the ribs?
    ^ Depends on your anatomy.

I'm a guy, and although with plenty of love-handles for my wifey and daughter to tickle and grab onto, the way most good OWBs ride, their "sweat shield" perfectly flattens out the bulge in my too-many-chicken-wings induced anatomy, and makes for comfortable carry. Yes, there's certain of my setups that I avoid, depending on different clothing, but for the majority, I'm OK. For example, my favorite "class" holster, an OWB Raven Phantom for my full-sized XDm9, I never convert to IWB to use in draw-from-concealment classes (I wear what I wear every day, as the quirky academic type that I am, to those training classes: an un-tucked Old-Navy T over bluejeans, with no under-shirt that may serve as a gun/holster buffer) since the way its abbreviated "sweat shield" rides just so on my body that I tend to pinch part of my love-handle between the holster and the body of the gun, as I complete my holster-in stroke (ouch! ). But that's honestly my sole exception, with the some dozen or so holsters that I have, for my carry gun, alone.

Now, keep in mind that this is all about "averages." There's a relatively small variation in actual torso length of adult males, and again, with a difference in absolute size, of-course, there's then also a similarly small variation in torso length with adult females.

But any one of us may lie outside of the norms, one way or another - so depending on your specific and unique body-build/anatomy, any one or another setup may be more or less comfortable, and may or may not conceal better.

People like me - the holster/gear nuts - we're lucky in a way. We don't mind spending the money on fancy gear to see what we end up with. Not everyone either want or can afford to spend their money this way, but unfortunately, truly, a lot of concealed-carry is highly variable based on each person's unique considerations.

VIP Member
    I have a belt slide double mag pouch which I don't use much. I carry two extra mags on my weak side front pants pocket, and one on the strong side. I disassemble and clean them regularly for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Spot the spare mag?

Keep in mind that this is without my cover shirt.
    Beats me. Where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    You may find out (as I did) that only one thing IWB at a time is do-able for you, comfort wise. I can't stand to have a CCW as well as magazines riding IWB. As such, my spare mag is either in a weak-side pocket or in an OWB mag pouch, when I'm concealing IWB.
    +1. I've found carrying both the mags and firearm IWB didn't work for me. I use OWB mag pouches. Of course, I imagine body shape is a factor.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog7972s View Post
    Beats me. Where is it?
    It is tucked iwb "mexican" behind the cell phone. You can just see the bottom lip of the mag sticking up above the cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    It is tucked iwb "mexican" behind the cell phone. You can just see the bottom lip of the mag sticking up above the cell phone.
    OK. I saw that but thought that it was part of the cell phone case. It's clearer now that you point it out.

That is what most people would think.

Distinguished Member
    Guantes I like your idea. Probably not as good for females though, as we are in the pantsdown/pantsup mode all day in and out of the bathroom.

Thanks for that pop quiz photo! I did not see it until you told the other guy up above where it was.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links