Concealing a Spare Magazine - Page 3

Concealing a Spare Magazine

This is a discussion on Concealing a Spare Magazine within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You're quite welcome. I could see where that might be inconvenient. Then again, if wearing conventional type pants, mag goes in front pocket, pants go ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Concealing a Spare Magazine

You're quite welcome. I could see where that might be inconvenient. Then again, if wearing conventional type pants, mag goes in front pocket, pants go down. Pants go back up mag goes back in waistband. That's what I do when required.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Spare mags are a bit more versatile in how one carries than the weapon istelf. Worn OTW under a shirt is easily hidden by wearing it higher on the belt. Other mags can certainly be stored in a bag, pocket, or ankle but will not be as easily accessible as one on the hip.

Wow, seems like carrying an extra mag is more complicated than the gun itself! I'm still considering everything that's been said & trying to figure out what I want to do. For summertime wear, I can't get away with OWB. IWB is a little tight and I'm not sure where I would put the holder anyway - my IWB holster covers my entire back. And a side holder for the mag would show.

For now, my Crossbreed holster & belt leaves an empty space between my back & pants/belt that I'm going to try putting the extra mag in. I just want to make sure it's not in the way of my fingers when I draw. So far, it feels fine and isn't affecting my draw, plus it's not the least bit noticeable.

I have considered carrying the extra mag in my purse/car, but I'm not sure there is a lot of point in that...

So here's a final question - between my mag & chamber, I can have 14 rounds. Although I realize you can't have too much ammo, does it really seem necessary to carry an extra mag? What do y'all think? If I can't stop the BG with 14 rounds, how can 13 more help me that much?

The spare mag is as much for a mag malfunction/damage as it is for extra ammo. Your mag falls apart on your draw, you have the one round in the chamber, if your gun will fire at all.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ That.

Nevertheless, at the same time, while I keep saying that I don't expect to drain my 13+1 initial load, as a civilian in a CHL capacity, I am reminded that even from just the short time that I've been in "the gun world" that such an event, while not probable, is also not impossible: look at the CHL-good-shoot that happened in a Detroit-area barbershop, just a few months back. I go to slide lock - what then? I don't want to bluff.

So, for me, that remote possibility always weighs heavy, on the rare occasions that I do go without a spare. After all, we CHL/CCW-holding civilians aren't really playing the odds, when it comes to the fact that we are armed and, for many of us, rather decently trained, too. Right? After all, what are the odds that we'll ever need to, God-forbid, draw, or even worse, shoot? We don't carry for the odds: we carry against the unlikely possibility. A careful driver still will carry an auto insurance policy, and for many, there's that fire-extinguisher in the kitchen.

But yes, most of all, why many of us choose to compromise comfort and stash a spare mag or two on our bodies, CountryGal, is because of the somewhat more likely event of ammo/magazine malfunction. Being well-practiced in malfunction clearance is an absolute must, if you use a gun for SD/HD.

I'll also point out that if you were attacked my multiple assailants in an area where there is sufficient cover (like a parking garage with concrete walls and pillars), and those assailants choose to pursue the attack after you responded, you very well may need a fair amount of extra ammunition.

-john

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ +1. Totally agreed. In today's Flash-Mob world, that's sadly all too true.

Move to live, and learn to do everything from shooting on the move, to reloads, to clearing malfunctions. One handed, while you're at it, as you never know what you're going to need your other hand for (me? probably grabbing my daughter by the scruff and dragging her along).

One of my instructors very much favors retaining the dropped magazine, and I agree with his reasoning - but I know that one of the reasons why I try to always carry a spare magazine is so that if I had to lose the resident mag while clearing a malfunction (two weekends ago, I cleared a one-handed double-feed ["half-induced" - it was supposed to be an immediate-action drill, induced by a snap-cap, but in doing that one-handed, I managed to produce a double-feed] by literally ripping the resident magazine out of my gun, with my teeth), I still have my spare available. And just like I know how to draw with my off-hand, I know how to get to my spare mag with my strong.

As some have said, experiment with location first. I actually have an old pocket knife holder I cut the top off of for an OWB rig. I think it would be cool to make your own crossbreed type iwb mag carrier, the more I think about it, the more I think I am going to do it myself for fun.

But most of the time, my spare mag goes in the leg pocket of my cargo shorts or my weak side pocket in my jeans. I find a mag carrier to be a pain most times. No matter what you do, train with it a lot.

Galco has an IWB spare mag holder. http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...&CatalogID=450

They also have one for your pocket.
    Last edited by ktulu92fs; September 18th, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

In the warmer weather of summer, I carry a G26 IWB in a Remora.
    Off-work hours, I am almost always wearing either 5.11 shorts or Tru-spec 24/7.
    Both of these styles have adequate cargo pockets or mag-specific pockets that work well.
    As fall approaches, I will be concealing in a 5.11 tactical fleece.
    When winter hits, either a Woolrich discreet jacket or Scottevest.

I carry this Blackhawk single-stack mag holder in black: BlackHawk Leather Mag Pouch. 420900BN, 420901BN. BlackHawk Magazine Pouches.

And the Safariland doublestack carrier as shown here.

Not everyday carry, but when needed.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Try this
    Attached Images
    rson63 likes this.

cmb
    Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    Before you get too carried away though, I'd like to suggest you to simply try sticking the magazine under your belt in various places while wearing your IWB carry rig, as a comfort test.

You may find out (as I did) that only one thing IWB at a time is do-able for you, comfort wise. I can't stand to have a CCW as well as magazines riding IWB. As such, my spare mag is either in a weak-side pocket or in an OWB mag pouch, when I'm concealing IWB.
    I use old front pocket wallets, i take the money clip off, it works for single stack mags anyway...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
    Wow, seems like carrying an extra mag is more complicated than the gun itself! I'm still considering everything that's been said & trying to figure out what I want to do. For summertime wear, I can't get away with OWB. IWB is a little tight and I'm not sure where I would put the holder anyway - my IWB holster covers my entire back. And a side holder for the mag would show.

For now, my Crossbreed holster & belt leaves an empty space between my back & pants/belt that I'm going to try putting the extra mag in. I just want to make sure it's not in the way of my fingers when I draw. So far, it feels fine and isn't affecting my draw, plus it's not the least bit noticeable.

I have considered carrying the extra mag in my purse/car, but I'm not sure there is a lot of point in that...

So here's a final question - between my mag & chamber, I can have 14 rounds. Although I realize you can't have too much ammo, does it really seem necessary to carry an extra mag? What do y'all think? If I can't stop the BG with 14 rounds, how can 13 more help me that much?
    Most real world civilian gunfights don't have that many rounds shot,(so I've been told). The extra mag is in case of a magazine related failure.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links