Question on Mounted Flashlights and Lasers

This is a discussion on Question on Mounted Flashlights and Lasers within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a new Smith & Wesson M&P15 which is their variation of an entry level AR-15/M4. Right now it has the factory furniture ...

Thread: Question on Mounted Flashlights and Lasers

Question on Mounted Flashlights and Lasers

I just bought a new Smith & Wesson M&P15 which is their variation of an entry level AR-15/M4. Right now it has the factory furniture on it but i would like to add a quad rail system to the fore grip. What i am thinking about doing is adding a flash light and possibly a laser sight. Right now i am shooting with the factory open sights and would like to for the most part keep it that way. I plan to use the gun for home defense as well as hunting. I feel the .223 rounds are a good all around round for both defense and hunting.

Anyways, i need to keep this gun legal for hunting which means the light and laser have to be easily removed. What i have a question about is do the flash lights really light up good and shine for a reasonable distance ? Examples would be great on that one. Are they as easy to remove and install as they are advertised to be ?

Lasers i have never used and know absolutely nothing about. Do they really offer reliability and stay zeroed in ? Do they show up good enough on your target to be seen at a distance. How hard are they to sight in ? In your opinion what is best, red or green lasers ? When you compare practical use VS price are they really worth it if you are good with the factory sights anyways ?

Thanks Y'all

Bubba
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I bought a Streamlight TL2 that I used in Afghanistan. It shines bright where I can ID things easly out to 300 meters. They make a weapons mount and a pressure switch for pretty cheap but good quility. I would take a good look at that over some of the more expensive weapons lights. As for lasers I have not used them on my AR, I did use a PEQ-15 on my M4 in Afghanistan that worked well, I think Laserlight makes a simular model in green.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I bought a Streamlight TL2 that I used in Afghanistan. It shines bright where I can ID things easly out to 300 meters. They make a weapons mount and a pressure switch for pretty cheap but good quility. I would take a good look at that over some of the more expensive weapons lights. As for lasers I have not used them on my AR, I did use a PEQ-15 on my M4 in Afghanistan that worked well, I think Laserlight makes a simular model in green.
    Thanks man ! I will take a look at those lights and lasers. 300 meters should be all i need. What i am doing is defending my property here. We have had a ton of theft around here and i need to be able to identify a person trying to steal from just my neighbor checking on things for me as we keep an eye on each others place. If i can brighten up my yard without having to hold both a gun and a flashlight it would be really nice and if i did have to fire it would allow me to be much more accurate by allowing me to put all of my grip on the gun. Ill surely check into them, If someone from the military recommends it, it must be good stuff.

Also thank you for all your service to this country !!!! You have my respect and support !! So does anyone else here that has or still is serving !!!
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

Links