Do Any of You Guys Use Pelican Hard Cases?

This is a discussion on Do Any of You Guys Use Pelican Hard Cases? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a pistol case from CED that's similar to the pelican cases. Not sure if they make larger cases, but I'm quite happy with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do Any of You Guys Use Pelican Hard Cases?

I bought a pistol case from CED that's similar to the pelican cases. Not sure if they make larger cases, but I'm quite happy with it, and at much more reasonably priced than the Pelican model of the same dimensions.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    I bought a pistol case from CED that's similar to the pelican cases. Not sure if they make larger cases, but I'm quite happy with it, and at much more reasonably priced than the Pelican model of the same dimensions.
    Never heard of this company but I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up. ;-)

Love this case when I travel by air. Its a Pelican
    Attached Images
    DefConGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I have never even heard of Storm but will look into them to see what kind of latches they have.
    Storm/Hardigg latches have a square button in the middle of the latch, just push and lift.
    The older Pelicans had no release. You just pried until it opened or smashed your finger. (I've had cases where I couldn't open it with a screwdriver to pry.) The new Pelicans have an improved latch, still not as good as Storm.

I haven't used one for any of my guns, but we use Pelican 1450 for our drug box at work. It sees a lot of abuse on the helicopter and holds up very well. It sees a lot of desert heat and dust, rain and snow and keeps everything inside nice and clean/dry. A lot of our meds come in glass vials and we have yet to break anything due to dropping the box. Ours is about 5 years old and has some battle scars, but overall is a great case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermedic View Post
    I haven't used one for any of my guns, but we use Pelican 1450 for our drug box at work. It sees a lot of abuse on the helicopter and holds up very well. It sees a lot of desert heat and dust, rain and snow and keeps everything inside nice and clean/dry. A lot of our meds come in glass vials and we have yet to break anything due to dropping the box. Ours is about 5 years old and has some battle scars, but overall is a great case.
    Awesome testimony! I've been thinking about getting a Pelican case for emergency supplies to keep in the back of my van.

A friend of mine has one for his bolt gun. We had it fly out the back of his truck after the tailgate somehow unlatched itself over a bump at roughly 50 mph. Definitly worth it as we watched it tumble quite a few times. Just some dings on the case but no optics damage and the rifle was still zeroed afterward.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I got a chance to look at some Pelican's tonight. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was 1400 series. Its a really nice case and Bud's had it for $50.00 This would make an excellent pistol case. Depending on the size of the pistols, you could possibly put two pistols and maybe a knife or two in it. It also has a hole on each side of the handle where you can put a lock on it. It seemed like it was really hard to latch it though. I guess this is the price you pay for water/dust proof-ness.

My department uses Pelican cases for drug boxes on paramedic trucks, and our EMT only trucks use them to carry AEDs. All of our brushfire trucks have first aid kits packed in them too. The only one I can remember failing was run over by several cars after somebody left it on the bumper of an engine and drove away. It destroyed the box but it damaged a couple cars too. One crew worked a drowning on the beach and their box got swept out by a wave. It took 20 minutes to fish it back and there was nothing leaking in it at all.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    My department uses Pelican cases for drug boxes on paramedic trucks, and our EMT only trucks use them to carry AEDs. All of our brushfire trucks have first aid kits packed in them too. The only one I can remember failing was run over by several cars after somebody left it on the bumper of an engine and drove away. It destroyed the box but it damaged a couple cars too. One crew worked a drowning on the beach and their box got swept out by a wave. It took 20 minutes to fish it back and there was nothing leaking in it at all.
    Awesome testimony. It sounds like these things will easily last someone a life-time outside of something drastic happening to it.

The biggest Pelican case I have is the 1700 for my AR-15. But I also have about a dozen of their smaller cases I use for smaller items and sensitive electronics or optics.

I've been partial to Pelican cases since I've been buying them for close to 30 years. They are nearly indestructible and will protect your gear.

They were and are the Cadillac of hard cases. The originators that many have copied. Storm & Hardigg are two companies (now owned by the same company) which has come on the scene since Pelican led the way.

Some people like Hardigg and Storm cases better than Pelican. I don't know which is the absolute best. I've dealt with Pelican products for so long, I'm kind of a loyal customer and tend to stick with them. I don't own any Storm Cases or Hardigg Cases, but what I've seen, they are every bit as good as Pelican, if not showing some improvements in some areas.

If I'm not mistaken, all three of them are DoD contractors. I know for sure that Hardigg & Pelican are.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I got a chance to look at some Pelican's tonight. If I'm not mistaken, I think it was 1400 series. Its a really nice case and Bud's had it for $50.00 This would make an excellent pistol case. Depending on the size of the pistols, you could possibly put two pistols and maybe a knife or two in it. It also has a hole on each side of the handle where you can put a lock on it. It seemed like it was really hard to latch it though. I guess this is the price you pay for water/dust proof-ness.
    We use a 1200 case at work as a cash box. We have been through 2 sets of latches (covered by warranty). The second time I called, the guy I talked to suggested sanding part of the latch to adjust the tension to flip the latches. A little 80 grit paper and a little sanding and the latches are way easier to open now. It takes some finesse to get them just right.

I have never even heard of Storm but will look into them to see what kind of latches they have.
    Storm/Hardig latches have a square button in the middle of the latch. Push the button, and the latch opens like butter.

Speaking of foam (someone was) if you're feeling spendy, someone makes custom cut foam for your rifle and Pelican case. They have the templates for lots of rifles.
    Or, they'll sell you the case too.

I have several Pelican cases for my handguns. My AR is in a nice Plano case. I like it just as well and it was a lot cheaper than the Pelican. Held up fine so far. As far as the Pelican cases go, i ship my tool chest all over the US and never had a problem.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links