Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light.

This is a discussion on Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TSiWRX ^ There are many in the gun community who have - and recommend strongly - the 4Sevens lights, and the Quark ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    ^ There are many in the gun community who have - and recommend strongly - the 4Sevens lights, and the Quark AA and AA^2 have plenty of fans. Again, it's a good light, as are Fenixs, but both run afoul of your preference to stay domestic.
    - I have the Quark 123 and the Quark Preon. The Quark 123 is a little thicker than I would like for EDC carry, but it's small enough for most people. I usually EDC the 4Sevens Preon since it is VERY small and runs on AAA batteries. It's about the thickness of a pen and half the length.

As a defensive weapon, a flashlight wouldn't be my first choice. A good knife (or gun) would come out on top every time.

2. Remove Ads

GSX™ 125 Lumen Handheld LED Flashlight

At Gander Mountain 19.99 Had mine 2 yrs no prblems so far, Well worth the $$ ; )
    H/D PS 1AA 1.5 hrs
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I have a Quark MiniX 123, Preon 2, Quark tactical AA^2 and Quark Turbo. They are all fantastic lights that I would highly recommend, but none of them fit all of your criteria exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Hmmm....

Quark AA Tactical, R5 Edition 4Sevens.Com

Anyone have one of these?
    If you buy it buy 2 cause if it breaks it will take 4 months to get it back.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ That's indeed part of the concern.

Although it's very unlikely for any of these LED-based units to "break," it's still possible.

With Surefire and Streamlight, they'll about bend over backwards to make sure that you're all-set, and it doesn't matter if all you have is a polymer G2 or if you've got a high-dollar weapon-mounted unit, they'll treat you the same, even if your product is now defunct.

With particularly the overseas brands, C/S can be a concern, but one has to factor in the simple cost of the product: at barely half the initial investment, "getting two" becomes a viable option, but that should nevertheless be counterweighed against the durability/reliability of the "lesser" (note that I put that in quotes) brand, however unlikely the malfunction/breakage.

To be absolutely fair, the more established foreign makes, such as Fenix and 4Sevens, have had excellent durability/reliability overall. Yes, you'll find complaints about X or Y on the internet, but that's just the nature of the beast: you can find something negative about anything, on the 'Net.

VIP Member
    Off of your requirements on several key points, but I have a brand new Surefire E2e Executive (incandescent, CR123 batteries, and all the other things you aren't looking for, but it's an excellent light) - brand new - that I would sell for $50.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I have the Quark 123 and the Quark Preon. The Quark 123 is a little thicker than I would like for EDC carry, but it's small enough for most people. I usually EDC the 4Sevens Preon since it is VERY small and runs on AAA batteries. It's about the thickness of a pen and half the length.

As a defensive weapon, a flashlight wouldn't be my first choice. A good knife (or gun) would come out on top every time.
    Agreed and I have those options. When I say defensive flashlight I mean something I can disorientate someone with until I can deploy my knife or gun if I have flashlight in hand.

I do understand my requirements to price ratio is borderline fantasy, but that's why I put it out there. Domestic made quality electronics in my price rage is a bit unrealistic, I have to say I was influenced by one reviewers comments that a light was china made. I'm probably going to have to drop that requirement.

You all have given me some great suggestions and I'm looking at them.

I really like the Streamlight Pro-Tac 1AA until I get to the 50 Lumens part, is 50 Lumens enough? Would it be enough for night shooting at say 25-40 yards (not in a defensive situation, competition)? I don't want to start collecting flashlights, hard enough to collect ammo.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

^ Out to 40 yards, boosting the output with Lithium AAs, that should not be a problem in terms of ID'ing the target since our eyes' response to light "brightness" isn't linear - however, how long you'll get that useful light for is going to be an issue. The other caveat is the cost of the Lithium AAs.

In all honesty, I'd look at an el-cheapo low-powered, multi-LED (for better area coverage) unit for work (I know that's what I like most of the time, when I'm underneath my car or looking inside the engine bay ), and a more direct-purpose unit for both class and daily carry.

I love my LED light made by "Coast".
    You can google them, but I bought mine at Lowe's for $20.
    Very bright (3 led's) 1 AA battery, about the size of a Mini-Mag.
    I used a lithium AA, and have NEVER changed it.

Compared to the old Mini-Mag with the grain of wheat bulb, this is "Light" years ahead in every respect. Pun intended.

No, it doesn't say "Streamlight" on it, but I'm happy.

I keep a Fenix PD1 on my keychain. Great light. I think it was replaced by the PD10. one 123 battery, 190 Lumen

I use a Streamlight Stylus Pro. It uses 2 AAA batteries, but they do have a single battery version.

Here's the MicroStream:

I had the MicroStream first, and really liked it. But I lost it, so I replaced it with the Stylus Pro:

The Stylus Pro is bigger, but it carries just as easily. After I had it for a few months, the button switch quit working. The light would work if I held the button down, but would not click in the on position.

On a whim, I emailed Streamlight and asked them if there was some simple fix that I could do to get the light switch working correctly. They replied that if I would email my address, they would send me a new tail-cap switch.

It came about a week later, just screwed in on and away I went; a very happy customer.

I paid $25 and it has lasted me 2 years
    Attached Images
    Last edited by zacii; October 5th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I had a Fenix PD1 on my keyring that i just loved for about five years until the key ring finally wore through the small ring on the flashlight. I would highly recommend Fenix lights and have bought numerous for gifts.

I recently purchased a 4Sevens Quark Mini CR2 since it was a bit smaller, and it is just awesome, people (non-flashaholics) are literally shocked at how bright such a tiny light can be. Actually bought nine 4Sevens Quark Mini 123's for groomsmen gifts (you know, to share the sickness... i mean, uh, hobby...). I got them from Firearmspro.com, great pricing, fast shipping, etc.

I have never found a light that competes with the nebo redline.

220 lumens small package triple A batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    +1 on the Maratac

Quote Originally Posted by daveb413 View Post
    I had a Fenix PD1 on my keyring that i just loved for about five years until the key ring finally wore through the small ring on the flashlight.
    ^ I had that happen with my ARC AAA Premium, too, and my FireFly, until I took it off, had started to show the same wear.

It's rather inevitable, so what I've taken to doing, now, with my "keychain" light is to run two loops of plastic Zip-Ties through them, to secure them to my keychain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links