Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light. - Page 3

Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light.

This is a discussion on Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Key Chain Light Series - MicroStream® | Streamlight This light works great for size + brightness. In the dark it will easily disorient /blind someone ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light.

Lead Moderator
    Key Chain Light Series - MicroStream® | Streamlight
    This light works great for size + brightness. In the dark it will easily disorient /blind someone and is small enough to never be left behind. It uses one AAA battery. Not exactly what you specify, but may be a good choice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

One thing that is clear from this thread: there is no shortage of good choices out there
    azchevy likes this.

Fenix LD10 R5? I know some of have mentioned Fenix being pretty good lights. Anyone have this one? What do you think of it?

AA-check
    Belt clip-check
    100 Lumens-check
    Strobe-check
    LED-check
    Aluminum-check
    Defensive bezel-check
    Tail switch-check
    High, medium, low modes-check
    Small enough to carry-check
    Quality-very likely
    $50.00-damn close
    American made-doubt it
    Wish it was a Streamlight-check

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1SB85G7GODWDQ

I have an Amazon gift card collecting dust, so I'm doing most of my searching on there.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Fenix (sorry, not Domestic - it's Chinese) lights are just fine, and many of us have them. I've got various Fenix's scattered all through my house, garage, as well as vehicles, and the little P2D that my daughter brought to her pre-school's "Flashlight Day" was the hit of the entire class. They're very good lights, especially when price is also factored into the equation.

With the Fenix, which truly can fill the complete "multi-role" capability requirement that you have, you need to remember to leave it on the correct mode: and believe me, it's all too easy to become complacent with that...

For example, you'll likely use the extended-run low-powered modes during your daily work hours, but you'll need to remember to twist the head to put yourself into the "Turbo" mode, so that if you needed to pull it in a self-defense context as you're walking home, you'll actually have the high-brightness/strobe enabled, instead of a low-intensity beam.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    If you don't have to have "AA", then you might want to check this light out. From what I understand, Novatac makes some lights in the USA but this one is made in China. I'm not sure which features you're willing to trade off on. With some people, they'll forego country of origin if the price is right and with some people, they will pay more to get something made in the USA.

NOVATAC 120ST STORM LED FLASHLIGHT - BLACK (120ST-BK)- 120 LUMENS - USES 1 X CR123A

$35
    NovaTac 120ST Storm LED Flashlight - Black (120ST-BK)- 120 Lumens - uses 1 x CR123A

If you want to pay a lot of money needlessly buy Surefire. Just go on Amazon and look up Cree LED flashlights. You can get 1000 lumens and all the different modes for less than 1/2 the price of a Surefire and they are just as good or better, but make sure it's a Cree bulb

Flashlights have been a hobby of mine for a while. Your list of requirements is hard to fulfill. I think you will need to make some trade-offs. You say you want a defensive strobe, but IMHO a 100 lumen strobe is not strong enough.

I like your choice of the Fenix LD10 R5. I have always liked the R5 emitter. But when driven by a single AA battery, well, it will be vastly underpowered. The R5 is capable of some pretty good lumens output when driven hard, but one AA battery just can't sustain the current draw. The R5 emitter really 'shines' when driven by 2 CR123 batteries, and something like a Quark 123*2 Tactical XP-G R5 would be considerably brighter than the LD10, and just a tiny tad longer.

One thing that caught my eye (and the main reason I'm posting) is that you mentioned you're in the auto trade. I used to be a pro mechanic myself many moons ago, had a couple of service stations (this was 30 years ago). Anyway, I still enjoy hot rods and have four good friends in the trade (mechanics and engine machinists). I have given them each a Preon 2, which is a diminutive pocket penlight that runs on two AAA batteries. They all LOVE the Preon 2, every one of them has remarked about the sheer volume of light from such a tiny package! Anyway, the Preon 2 almost meets all of your criteria. But I know for sure that it would be a terrific light for your trade.

Here's a few of my lights so you can compare sizes:

Good luck

-
    surefire7 likes this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Take a look here at the specs and price. Great deal! No I don't sell these. I just use them.

UniqueFire UF-2100 CREE XM-L T6 3-Modes 1000 Lumen 1 LED Flashlight Torch (Black)

Quote Originally Posted by DepOne View Post
    Take a look here at the specs and price. Great deal! No I don't sell these. I just use them.

UniqueFire UF-2100 CREE XM-L T6 3-Modes 1000 Lumen 1 LED Flashlight Torch (Black)
    - A lot of those lights don't list the OTF lumens.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    If you don't have to have "AA", then you might want to check this light out. From what I understand, Novatac makes some lights in the USA but this one is made in China. I'm not sure which features you're willing to trade off on. With some people, they'll forego country of origin if the price is right and with some people, they will pay more to get something made in the USA.

NOVATAC 120ST STORM LED FLASHLIGHT - BLACK (120ST-BK)- 120 LUMENS - USES 1 X CR123A

$35
    NovaTac 120ST Storm LED Flashlight - Black (120ST-BK)- 120 Lumens - uses 1 x CR123A
    Thanks for the link that led to my just buying a Novatac 120SO to replace my lost Novatac 120T at a better price than I imagined. Well worth it, folks. I got mine at Altatac on Ebay.

Joker, I think that this fits the bill for you except your requirement for AA battery.

LED Check
    1 AA battery CR123A (1 for 120T or 120Storm and 2x for 120SO)
    100 Lumens (High) 120 High
    Clip for carrying on belt or pocket Check but removable for holster carry that I prefer
    Aluminum Construction Check
    Tail mounted switch Check
    Small enough to carry comfortably Check (3" long for 120T or Storm) and 4.6" for SO - all are 1" diameter.
    Good quality Check
    Around $50.00 $35 - 40

These features would be nice:

Strike bezel Check
    Strobe feature Check (useless for self defense but neat to auto signal, etc.)
    High, Low modes And medium. H and L are the same for all. Medium is 10Lumen (like a mag light) for 120T and 30 for Storm and SO (really light a medium-sized room).
    Surefire NovaTac
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I'm in the Automotive field as well. I carry a Streamlight 66122 Stylus Pro Penlight with White LED every day and use it every day. aside from the switch being a little hard to push it works great. I picked up a blue on on amazon for $20. Amazon.com: Streamlight 66122 Stylus Pro Penlight with White LED, Blue: Home Improvement

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. I just placed the order for a new Fenix LD-10 R5 from amazon. I will let ya'll know how I like it after I get to use it.
    NRA Life Member

Received my Fenix LD10 R5 today. So far I likey, will post more info as it becomes known.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Key Chain Light Series - MicroStream® | Streamlight
    This light works great for size + brightness. In the dark it will easily disorient /blind someone and is small enough to never be left behind. It uses one AAA battery. Not exactly what you specify, but may be a good choice.

This!! Great little light, lasts forever on one battery, bright as a larger flashlight and is very small and easy to carry. Its also cheap.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links