Magazine Question ?

This is a discussion on Magazine Question ? within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everyone, Just a quick question in regards to extra magazines for handguns. I own several different caliber pistols with atleast 4 for each one. ...

Thread: Magazine Question ?

Magazine Question ?

Hey Everyone,
    Just a quick question in regards to extra magazines for handguns. I own several different caliber pistols with atleast 4 for each one. I usually try to rotate all of them during practice sessions but unfourtunatly some do not get used as often as the others. I keep ALL of them loaded and ready to go. I have never experienced a malfunction with any of them. My question is dose keeping them loaded and ready to go affect the reliability and function? Do the springs in the magazine become weak from being loaded and not being used?

Regards,
    TC

2. Remove Ads

No. With modern spring steels, it is accepted that continued cycling from full to empty is more likely to effect spring reliability/life than remaining in a fully loaded status.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I would suggest that you keep a few for carry only. Once you have tested them for reliability, do not use them for range work. You can use and abuse other mags, but keep the ones that you carry in as pristine condition as possible. You don't want to bet your life on a beat up old mag that has hit the deck a few thousand times do you?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Just a quick question in regards to extra magazines for handguns. I own several different caliber pistols with atleast 4 for each one. I usually try to rotate all of them during practice sessions but unfourtunatly some do not get used as often as the others. I keep ALL of them loaded and ready to go. I have never experienced a malfunction with any of them. My question is dose keeping them loaded and ready to go affect the reliability and function? Do the springs in the magazine become weak from being loaded and not being used?

Regards,
    TC
    No and No.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I would suggest that you keep a few for carry only. Once you have tested them for reliability, do not use them for range work. You can use and abuse other mags, but keep the ones that you carry in as pristine condition as possible. You don't want to bet your life on a beat up old mag that has hit the deck a few thousand times do you?
    From a metallurgical standpoint this is true. MOST all metals (not gold and a very few others) suffer from work hardening. The more you move it and stress it the harder it gets. When you bend a coat hanger back and forth it eventually breaks. not because it got weak but because it keeps getting harder till it's to hard to bend this breaks. Most springs are made from high chromium high carbon content steels including the stainless steels used in many magazines. Flexing the springs will cause damage keeping under a load without any change in shape or direction will not. Of course constant changes in temperature like working out doors in the winter and then moving inside does also do slight damage to the springs integrity as well and over time nothing last forever. Rotating will make all last longer only because your spreading out the normal damage between them all. Keeping then fully loaded is best for all reasons including being prepared.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Links