Burglars vs. the Cannon gun safe

This is a discussion on Burglars vs. the Cannon gun safe within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, so sorry to hear this. I\'m not SURE that your car being there would have been a deterent...thieves aren\'t all that smart! If they ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burglars vs. the Cannon gun safe

Wow, so sorry to hear this.
    I\'m not SURE that your car being there would have been a deterent...thieves aren\'t all that smart! If they were, the cops wouldn\'t have a job.

The biggest learning experiance for me out of your disaster is the Cannon Safe. When I read your description of the lock, and handle being knocked off, I wondered how you were going to get your guns out,nice to hear that Cannon will take care of that.The big outcome is the safe remained locked.
    (nice butter knife by the way)
    Smart move for you to have your guns locked up as well. More people should learn from this.
    Bottom line is you are not physically hurt, and all material things are covered by insurance, and no bad guys ended up with more armorment.
    I did get to see the pics, thanks for posting.

2. Remove Ads

I must say, I went and searched for your gun photos, and got hung-up on the photos of your physique. My bad.
    I\'m impressed. I LOVE the \"Live free or die\" photo!
    That is a poster shot for sure!
    I would love that hanging in my garage!
    i don\'t think I could get away with it hanging in the bedroom :D

Administrator

Sorry Betty

Just happy that you & the little tarantulas are OK.
    I\'m very sorry that happened to you but I sure am glad that your firearms & your good jewelry were not stolen & Kudos to Cannon for taking care of your safe.
    Wow! I just clicked on that one link that you posted.
    They sure did smash your front door in a \"good one\" - Sure looks like a home invasion to me. Stay Safe!

VIP Member
    \"Little tarantulas?\" ;) Well, my smallest has a 3.5\" legspan, and the biggest has a 9\" legspan with fangs around an inch long.... but don\'t worry, that one can\'t run around on the ceiling. :P

While my parents and I were eating in a restaurant, mom said how happy she was that I was armed, because (ina strong Viet accent) \"you never know what those people can do - they rob you, they rape you, they kill you.\"

I looked at her and said, \"Yes, those kind of people never know who they\'re messing with. Maybe I\'ll rob them, rape them, and kill them.\"

Chinese food almost shot out my dad\'s nose.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by Betty
    While my parents and I were eating in a restaurant, mom said how happy she was that I was armed, because (ina strong Viet accent) \"you never know what those people can do - they rob you, they rape you, they kill you.\"

I looked at her and said, \"Yes, those kind of people never know who they\'re messing with. Maybe I\'ll rob them, rape them, and kill them.\"

Chinese food almost shot out my dad\'s nose.
    You are a hoot, Betty :kay:

Could you give us an update as to how well Cannon took care of you. I probably am going with Cannon but I would like to know if their repair was done in a timely manner and if you were satisfied with the end result.

I have a Liberty safe, same type warranty, one feature on the Liberty, I don't know if other safes have this, is called "relockers" glass rods that will break if the safe is subjected to beating. Once these glass rods break they allow locking bars to drop into place to lock the opening wheel so even if you enter the correct combination (I also ordered the high security electronic combination lock) you can\'t open the door. Liberty will have to send someone with a drilling jig to get the precise location and angle to get through the 3/8" tool steel door and 1" tungston steel hard plate over the locking mechinism to open the door.

I have the safe bolted to the floor in a corner with only the door and left side exposed, the only "easy" way into the safe is to use a cutting torch on the left side. As I am a muzzel loader shooter and the safe has the highest fire rating of the Liberty safes, I store 5 1# cans of black powder on the left side of the safe, I wonder how much scrap metal needs to be collected to validate safe replacement???:D

VIP Member
    UPDATE

After I have left multiple phone calls and messages to Cannon asking to be updated on the status of my warranty repair, the company has seen fit to not respond to my repeated attempts. This has been going on for a month now. I'm going to try different channels, but at this point, I believe Cannon does not back up their warranty. :tick:

I just sent them another email. I'll give them another week before I find my own means to get my safe open. If that's the case, I'll have nothing good to say about Cannon, and I will not be purchasing a Cannon as a replacement.

If they're having problems locating a locksmith or a replacement safe, all they have to do is respond to my messages, notifying me of the situation.

Not only are my guns exiled in the safe, my SWAT backup hard drive is in there, along with all my tax paperwork. I have four checks left, and the rest are in the safe. Luckily, places like the electric company can be paid online by credit card.

I'm getting really agitated.

VIP Member
    That is disappointing to hear Betty. I hope they make good on their warranty. You are right even if there really is no news they should at least tell you that.

Thanks for the update.
    -Scott-

VIP Member
    Well, another update...

I sent them an email today through their "request info" option on their website (I linked them to this thread), and I received an email back from another customer service rep. He said he contacted the guy who is handling my situation, and he's supposed to get back to me.

I hope so. I don't like being Miss Crankypants.

VIP Member
    Good news - the Cannon rep finally got back to me and said he accidentally buried my paperwork on his desk. The locksmith called and he is ready whenever I am, and I'll be ready as soon as the new safe shows up. I can have my safe opened now, but I'm not going to be stuck with a bunch of unlocked guns. The Cannon rep said it would "take a while" for the new safe to come in. I hope "a while" doesn't mean "a month at least."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    The news is improving anyway. I'll be interested how long it takes to get you a replacement. I doubt this is something they keep hanging around, so awhile sounds about right. They are probably trying to figure out what they have being built that they can divert to you.

-Scott-

Lead Moderator
    Sorry to hear of yer break in. Hope cannon gets on the ball and takes care of ya. Makes me glad I purchased my safe, as I have a few i would really hate to lose.

As a Cannon owner it is good to hear they are responding. Let us know how it goes.

VIP Member
    Well...

I am moving this month and the new safe will not arrive in time, so the locksmith is coming today to open up my safe. Another party has given me a secure location to move the contents. The locksmith said it'll take at least four hours to get the thing open.

And then I found out Cannon only drops the safe up on the curb; they do not move the safe into your home. You also have to drop the old safe outside on a palette, because they won't come in to get it. And they do want the old safe back. Inconvenient that they don't move it in and out, but okay. I don't complain about things I get for free. Luckily, my dad own a hardware store and has agreed to remove the old safe and keep it in his store, and I've asked Cannon to drop off the new safe at his store and they can pick up the old one there. The customer service rep said a new safe takes 8-12 weeks to be delivered. They don't warehouse, they just build and ship out.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links