To Safe or Not to Safe ... That is the Question. - Page 2

To Safe or Not to Safe ... That is the Question.

This is a discussion on To Safe or Not to Safe ... That is the Question. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by bbqgrill I keep all of my "bulk" ammo in ammo cans locked in a cheap sheet metal gun locker. Just as "dangerous" ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To Safe or Not to Safe ... That is the Question.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    I keep all of my "bulk" ammo in ammo cans locked in a cheap sheet metal gun locker.
    Just as "dangerous" as ammo store inside a safe.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Just as "dangerous" as ammo store inside a safe.
    If the area around my ammo and locker gets that hot I won't be in the area, I have bigger concerns.

Oh sorry, now I see your previous post, my bad.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Good point on the cheap gun locker idea for ammo. I have one that I bought as a kid and used for a 'safe' until I bought a real one. I've been stocking up on various calibers of ammo and it takes up a lot of room in my safe. I could put this locker next to my safe and have all of my pistol, shotgun and rifle ammo in it along with the cases and stuff that aren't as important that they are in my safe. I would always say "get the biggest safe you can afford or have the room for" becuase they will always get filled up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Guns and mags go into my safe. Cases are stacked next to it. Holsters go into a shoe "valet" hanging on the inside of the door where the safe is located.

I love that set up. I think we may adopt that.

For us (wife and I both have our collections of guns) we keep guns, a few loaded mags for a few of the guns like the AR and AK in there and some important documents since it is a fire rated safe.

Holsters have been kept in a box with dividers in it to separate the holsters by gun and spare ammo is in ammo cans in a metal locker. Cleaning supplied are kept on some shelves in the same room as the spare ammo.

Th safe we bought a few years ago looked real empty when we put all the guns we had at the time in it and now, well, it filled up faster than I would have ever thought it would have.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I keep all my ammo in a safe or some fire container. If you have a house fire and ammo goes off the Firemen are done. So a small fire could be your whole house.
    The insurance will pay for anything damaged in my safe. It will pay for my whole house also . But all thats a pain I prefer not to find out JMO

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    If you have a house fire and ammo goes off the Firemen are done. So a small fire could be your whole house.
    What? How do you arrive at either of those conclusions?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    If you have a house fire and ammo goes off the Firemen are done. So a small fire could be your whole house.
    I've read where some fire depts will pull their guys back when ammo starts cooking off. I've been at a fire when lots of ammo was cooking off and it is not reassuring......I don't care what Jamie and Adam says.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    All that happens when ammo cooks off is that the cases rupture. There are no bullets flying anywhere. This has been proven rather decisively on MythBusters.
    Here is what I experienced and realized during and after a fire with significant ammo, and what I saw when I actually got to open a safe that had been in a hot fire:

1. All the ammo inside the safe (that became an oven) cooked off, and when it does that ammo certainly increases the temperature inside the safe, something you'd want to avoid, since you're trying to keep fire and heat on the outside of the safe.

2. The powder residue/smoke covered everything with a black and dirty funk inside the safe, something else I didn't want.

3. I've seen the Mythbusters episode, while interesting, I only recall them cooking off "loose ammo". IOW some tightly packed ammo will actually "fire a bullet" though not nearly at the velocity of a rifle.

I found loose bullets scattered far outside of the fire area, no ruptured cartridge case attached. Probably the worst offender was 30.06 Greek ammo in clips in spam cans. The spam cans had holes shot through them, same thing with the AK spam cans. The 30.06 ammo in clips, I believe sometimes gained velocity because of the way it is held tightly together by the clips. Don't get me wrong, nothing was whizzing by at muzzle velocity, but some did, probably tumbling, yet had enough energy to shoot through tin.

There was another small safe in the fire that was packed full of cased ammo, mostly pistol cartridges. IIRC the inside door was badly dinged by the nearby .45 bullets hitting it. Now that I think about it I still have a pile of .45 bullets that were within the safe, no ruptured cartridge case attached. I saved them for the lead.

I really enjoy Mythbusters, but their conclusion about this was not totally thorough. Loose ammo yes, but some ammo that is tightly packed may/will fire a low-powered bullet before the case ruptures. Too bad Jamie and Adam weren't with me when I saw it happen.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    If the area around my ammo and locker gets that hot I won't be in the area, I have bigger concerns.
    You and me, both!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I've read where some fire depts will pull their guys back when ammo starts cooking off. I've been at a fire when lots of ammo was cooking off and it is not reassuring......I don't care what Jamie and Adam says.
    Every fire I have been to or heard on the radio where ammo, powder, or primers were involved resulted in the command officers pulling firefighters out, slowing down or delaying the attack, or changing to a defensive fire attack (known as the "surround and drown" method. Use your imagination). I know it's not a threat, the Mythbusters know it, I've seen a video about it in training, but it always slows down how fast the fire gets put out, and increases the amount of damage caused.

As for sprinklers find a local installer familiar with residential imstallation.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

How about individual safes, each one for a separate pistol or gun!
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Sorry, that was supposed to be a question mark and not an exclamation point.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'd suggest not to keep any large cache of ammo in a safe. A few loaded mags would be okay, but during a fire it's likely that ammo will cook off inside. I've seen the results first-hand and the ammo just compounds the bad affects of a fire.
    I've thought about that myself. I decided to keep my ammo in the safe for two reasons. The first being during a fire, the cook offs will not escape the 10 ga. steel safe and not hinder fire fighting efforts. The second is the one hour fire rating, in hopes the fire will be under control before the ammo cooks. In the basement it's possible the temperature will remain lower that aboveWishfulll thinking maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by dooga View Post
    How about individual safes, each one for a separate pistol or gun!
    Such safes are very easy to pick up and walk out the door with unless you bolt them to the wall. Besides, such "safes" are really little lockers designed to keep inquisitive hands away from the firearm and no much else. It might work if you only have a couple of handguns, but useless if you have a significant collection and/or have long guns, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I've thought about that myself. I decided to keep my ammo in the safe for two reasons. The first being during a fire, the cook offs will not escape the 10 ga. steel safe and not hinder fire fighting efforts. The second is the one hour fire rating, in hopes the fire will be under control before the ammo cooks. In the basement it's possible the temperature will remain lower that aboveWishfulll thinking maybe.
    Your thinking is correct.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links