To Safe or Not to Safe ... That is the Question.

This is a discussion on To Safe or Not to Safe ... That is the Question. within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought what I thought was a pretty big safe about a year ago. I thought it was ridiculous that I bought one as large ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: To Safe or Not to Safe ... That is the Question.

I bought what I thought was a pretty big safe about a year ago.

I thought it was ridiculous that I bought one as large as I did and I figured it would take me 5-10 years to fill it up.

Now 365 days later ... I'm running out of safe space and I've needed to take things out.

For me, firearms, ammo, and expensive holsters and accessories goes in and I just cleared out my cleaning supplies. I found it funny I would keep them in there.
    I purchased a smaller safe to hold my pistol cases. I dunno why I think that needs to be in there, but I put them in a smaller safe.

My question to you folks:

What MUST go in the safe and what does not?
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Guns, first line mags and other High Value items (not holsters, cases, etc), everything else goes outside the safe.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Guns and mags go into my safe. Cases are stacked next to it. Holsters go into a shoe "valet" hanging on the inside of the door where the safe is located.

ksholder, TN_Mike, Bark'n and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMick View Post
    Guns and mags go into my safe. Cases are stacked next to it. Holsters go into a shoe "valet" hanging on the inside of the door where the safe is located.

I like that setup
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Firearms have to go in the safe, and other random valuables like some coins I have.

Everything else goes somewhere else. I actually borrowed an idea I saw on Limatunes' facebook one day for a lot of my storage. I took an old dresser I got for free, made it pretty, and turned it into my "dresser of fun." I have one drawer for holsters, one for fixed blade knives, one that is half folding knives and half handgun mags, one that is rifle mags, and the bottom one has ammo. Of course, if I had kids running around, I would secure the knives better, but I don't, so they are fine as is.

Personally, I wouldn't keep my firearms and ammo in the same safe. But that is just me.
    limatunes likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Firearms first and foremost... anything else is a bonus, but I don't crowd my guns since well - that's what I bought it for. The main purpose for my safe is to keep my 3 kids away from my guns, if they get my holsters - whatever I guess.

Some extras I have in there:

Loaded magazines, gun cases, another safe with important papers, keys to the other handgun and ammo safe.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Aside from firearms and magazines; I do keep some documents in my safe. I have a cheap gun locker that I use for securing ammo and other related items.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

All firearms, all magazines (loaded, of course) and a large stash of .223 and 7.62 for weight. Magazines are on the inside of the door, held there by magnets. Also, the keys to the ammo, powder and primer lockers. Holsters are in the ammo locker.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    I'd suggest not to keep any large cache of ammo in a safe. A few loaded mags would be okay, but during a fire it's likely that ammo will cook off inside. I've seen the results first-hand and the ammo just compounds the bad affects of a fire.
    TN_Mike and Hopyard like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Mine is full of guns, jewelry, important documents, precious metal bars and coins, and knives. Holsters and everyday carry magazines, etc go in a dresser drawer, spare stockpile mags and the majority of my "could take over a small 3rd world country" ammo is in stacked ammo cans in a closet. I have twin 4 year olds who are quite safe around the guns, but I wouldn't think of storing guns outside the safe.

Your situation is not unusual. I bought the biggest Liberty I could fimd amd now I need another. The majority of people I know with safes find more and more "stuff" to put in them, and they fill up quick.

As a firefighter, based on my experiences, I wouldn't store bulk ammo in mine. Also as a firefighter, let me remind you that residential fire sprinklers are inexpensive, and can probably pay for themselves in insurance incentives in a few short years.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    As a firefighter, based on my experiences, I wouldn't store bulk ammo in mine. Also as a firefighter, let me remind you that residential fire sprinklers are inexpensive, and can probably pay for themselves in insurance incentives in a few short years.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. You've made me consider lots of things that shouldn't go in there.
    In regards to bulk ammo storage ... where would you put it? Does the fact the safe has like 30 minutes of fire-endurance (I'm forgetting the word) help?

I don't like keep it unlocked for two reasons: 1. Safety. 2. Theft.

@Superhouse - any links or recommendations for the residential fire sprinklers?

@OldMick - I like that setup. We have those for shoes, but never thought of using it for holsters. I need to get one.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. You've made me consider lots of things that shouldn't go in there.
    In regards to bulk ammo storage ... where would you put it?
    I keep all of my "bulk" ammo in ammo cans locked in a cheap sheet metal gun locker.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I like that setup
    Me too. I'm going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I like that setup
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderBra View Post
    @OldMick - I like that setup. We have those for shoes, but never thought of using it for holsters. I need to get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Me too. I'm going to do that.
    Thanks all - I must admit I got the idea from someone/somewhere - if I could remember who/where, I'd give credit.

I now use a sharpie to mark what holster goes in each pocket. I have several Comp-Tacs and looking at the label is much easier than pulling each one out and reading the markings to tell which is which. Same with mag holders.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'd suggest not to keep any large cache of ammo in a safe. A few loaded mags would be okay, but during a fire it's likely that ammo will cook off inside. I've seen the results first-hand and the ammo just compounds the bad affects of a fire.
    All that happens when ammo cooks off is that the cases rupture. There are no bullets flying anywhere. This has been proven rather decisively on MythBusters.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links