Gun Vault

This is a discussion on Gun Vault within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been using a Sportlock safe for 6 years had to change the batteries 2 times. I access it 2-3x a week never had a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun Vault

I've been using a Sportlock safe for 6 years had to change the batteries 2 times. I access it 2-3x a week never had a problem with the lock or anything else.

Steve
    I love my Country but I fear my Government

2. Remove Ads

same problem so returning gun vault Standard

My Gun Vault Standard makes same click when correct code is entered, but door latch is not released. I am returning it and do not plan to buy another. So, I will likely spend more money for a better model and likely from another company.

My opinion is that the Gun Vault Standard works for keeping a gun near your bed without allowing kids access, but since it is unreliable for opening (I read many other similar posts about the latch issue), it could fail when truly needed. This reasonable potential for failure as well all know is a no-go for self protection where mechanical failure cannot be tolerated!
    - John

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Foster View Post
    Just wanted to give a heads up to other gun vault owners.
    I bought it about a year ago and have been very pleased with it. It's secured to the night stand on my wifes side (mine is holstered on the other side)

The other day I went to open it to change the moisture pack and give her S&W a quick wipe down. I put the code in and heard a small "click", but the spring loaded door didn't open. Tried again, same thing. Luckily this wasn't a life or death situation. I keep the key for it near by, but if my wife was alone and had to open it quickly those few extra seconds to get the key could have made a big difference.

The problem was low batteries. It was about a week since I last opened it and the batteries got low enough during the week to not have enough power to unlatch the door. There wasn't a low battery indication.
    So now I'm trying to get into the habit of checking it every morning and evening.

Just though I'd give other Gun Vault owners a heads up.

Had a gunvault safe for about a year. It was the deluxe model with batteries and an external power adapter. It failed to open without warning. After the failure it started making a high tone noise. Called GV and they said the circuit board was likely fried and they refused to replace or repair. I would never purchase another unit or trust a gunvault safes reliability again.

Replaced with a V-line mechanical and could not be happier. Zero issues and the model I have can hold my both my home defense and CCW handguns which is very convenient.
    SW

Distinguished Member
    I woyld never use or own an electrically operated safe, all of the reasons posted already.
    Manual lock only, or simply a good old fashoned padlock. Keeps the kids out and easy acess when needed.

No nonsense about "thieves" cutting the padlock either! Ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by molleur View Post
    I woyld never use or own an electrically operated safe, all of the reasons posted already.
    Manual lock only, or simply a good old fashoned padlock. Keeps the kids out and easy acess when needed.

No nonsense about "thieves" cutting the padlock either! Ain't gonna happen.
    Im with you on the no electronic safes. Of course Im in the camp of a gun that may be needed in a moments notice has no business being in a safe of any kind. Rather on the person that may need it.

That said the comment about thieves cutting a padlock confused me a bit. You believe a thief cant cut a padlock???
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I've got the model with the ac connection. I've had it for a few years, and I've never changed the batteries. I probably should check to make sure they work in case of a power failure. The only issue I've had with the safe is that if you slam the door to hard, it will not open after keying in the code. You can hear it click, but it does not open. When that happened, I had to pound on it to open the door. I found that I have to close the door easy and now I can tell by feel when I close the door if I'll have a problem opening it.

Thanks for the heads up! I have mine next to our bed and all of our firearms are stored inside. I do keep the override key on my key chain next to our bed and have another one stashed where my wife and I can get to it. After reading this I think I will replace my battery in it every 6-12 months. Thanks for the heads up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links