Fenix PD32 Flashlight (Prototype) Review

This is a discussion on Fenix PD32 Flashlight (Prototype) Review within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As one of those chosen to review the prototype of the Fenix PD32 flashlight, here's some info about it and my first impressions (more info ...

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar

As one of those chosen to review the prototype of the Fenix PD32 flashlight, here's some info about it and my first impressions (more info may be posted as I use it more), having received the sample 2 days ago.

Description:
    2-CR-123 cells or 1-18650 Li-ion battery (rechargeable variety).
    Output - 315/130/70/3 lumens with runtimes listed as 2/8/16/200 hrs respectively
    Uses Cree XP-G (R5) LED
    Size - 5" L x 7/8" Dia
    Wgt (w/2 CR-123 batteries) - 3.4 oz (measured)
    There is a second switch up near the bezel that is used to change light modes

First Impressions:
    - Does NOT roll - very good design feature
    - Very nice finish
    - Good gripping area
    - I like the switching arrangement (but see note below)
    - Strobe is very disorienting as it changes pulse rate - a very good feature
    - I'm carrying it in the cell-phone pocket in cargo pants, but the length makes it somewhat uncomfortable sitting and it wants to pop out of the pocket (Velcro on pocket flap keeps it secured). This points out a need for a belt-holster for this product.
    - My first outside-the-office use of the product was trying to find my way up a long, very dark driveway and walkway to the front door of an unoccupied house. In the dark, the tactical feel of the switch up near the bezel was not prominent and thus I had problems finding it in the dark to change modes.
    - The light is highly focused. As I was playing the light on the dark walkway in front of me, I walked into a large shrub that overshadowed the walkway . . . the flashlight doesn't "spill" enough light to have warned me about the above-ground obstacle.

Overall, my first impressions are very positive for this flashlight.

More to come later . . .
    NRA Instructor

Sponsor
    I have the PD31 and love it. I am anxious to hear more from you about the PD32. Were you given any idea of when it might be available to the rest of us?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I also have the PD31 and the LD20. Thanks for the post, please post pictures. I'd like to hear more.

I wasn't told anything about price or availability, but Google found the following sites with more info. Looks like it is ~$70 and that's a bargain IMNSHO for what it is. One site is quoting availability on 11/3 . . . seems a bit "short" as I only received the prototype 2 days ago. If they seriously want our feedback on pros/cons/what should be changed/etc. they certainly can't process that info and do anything is such a short time-frame.

Official company website for product: http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=103

Other resellers I found on Google with info on product (I have no knowledge about these companies):

http://fenixtactical.com/

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/new-p...-preorders-425
    NRA Instructor

Count me as one more who has the PD31 and is very happy with it. I carry it wherever I go. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a fenix product and I'm sure the PD32 will be a high quality light.

More feedback on light . . .

Not "per plan" but the snow storm and 2 day power outage gave me reason to use this flashlight a lot for various day-to-day activities.

I particularly liked the very low level for navigating around the house, down the stairs, in the garage all while we were in "black-out mode". It ensured that I wouldn't run the batteries down but still gave me adequate light to find my way without bumping into things.

Higher levels of light were also used when I needed it for particular tasks.

I still found it difficult to "feel for the mode switch". It really needs a way to differentiate from the metal bezel by feel. And if one were wearing gloves, no matter how thin, it would be hopeless to find that switch in the dark.

Overall, I really like this light and with a belt-mounted holster (hopefully Fenix will make one available) it would be an excellent product for both LE and general usage.
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Bought thhis light for my Christmas present. Wow, really a nice little light, very powerful. Comes with a clip, so I wear it inside the strong side pocket of my jeans. Quite comfortable. My first Fenix, but seems very well made.

Sponsor
    I recently made the grab on one also. As much as I like the PD31, I like this one better. Yes, finding the side switch with gloves in the dark will be a challenge but that is a small matter. I really like that the strobe functions are there but not "in the way".

The PD32 has now taken it's rightful place as mi primary EDC light
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Links