A hat!

This is a discussion on A hat! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockman10mm Wai in South Africa in a northern province , taking time out from a combination missionary/hunting trip. The wife and some ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A hat!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Wai in South Africa in a northern province , taking time out from a combination missionary/hunting trip. The wife and some others in the group wanted to check out some animals on the reserve.

So we loaded up in the Land Rover and took some of the assistant guides out in the bush . A herd of elephants was nearby, but they took off when we approached except this one, who had a calf with her.
    The guides explained this elephant although living in the wild, was an orphan from poachers and had been raised around people. The calf, was not hers, but also another orphan, and she accepted it and was raising it as her own.

So, we dismounted from the safety of the vehicle, and took some time for a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to be able to go hands on with this gigantic but gentle pachyderm.

I discovered she liked sunflower seeds, and when this photo was taken by my wife, it was coming for my other package of them.
    The calf, while cute as it could be, was highly jealous, and would knock me out of the way whenever I got to close to " mama".
    I envy your opportunity to see that part of the world and that elephant. Interesting story.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wai in South Africa in a northern province , taking time out from a combination missionary/hunting trip. The wife and some others in the group wanted to check out some animals on the reserve.

So we loaded up in the Land Rover and took some of the assistant guides out in the bush . A herd of elephants was nearby, but they took off when we approached except this one, who had a calf with her.
    The guides explained this elephant although living in the wild, was an orphan from poachers and had been raised around people. The calf, was not hers, but also another orphan, and she accepted it and was raising it as her own.

So, we dismounted from the safety of the vehicle, and took some time for a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to be able to go hands on with this gigantic but gentle pachyderm.

I discovered she liked sunflower seeds, and when this photo was taken by my wife, it was coming for my other package of them.
    The calf, while cute as it could be, was highly jealous, and would knock me out of the way whenever I got to close to " mama".
    Very cool. I usually miss the threads where these mysteries are explained.

Airfare is the largest cost. But if one really wants to, it can be done. I flew on Delta, and 1680.00 a ticket round trip. The flight out of Atlanta was about 22 hours to Jo burg.

You can take a hunting firearm, but the paper work is ridiculous. And, the firearm must be on the allowed list. The hunting guide used will meet you at the airport, fill out paperwork, and keep the weapon under lock and key at the lodge while not in use for hunting.

But, even if you don't go hunting, the trip is well worth it. To get up close with big cats and animals will definetly give you a new perspective on what calibers you would " imagine" using.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Airfare is the largest cost. But if one really wants to, it can be done. I flew on Delta, and 1680.00 a ticket round trip. The flight out of Atlanta was about 22 hours to Jo burg.

You can take a hunting firearm, but the paper work is ridiculous. And, the firearm must be on the allowed list. The hunting guide used will meet you at the airport, fill out paperwork, and keep the weapon under lock and key at the lodge while not in use for hunting.

But, even if you don't go hunting, the trip is well worth it. To get up close with big cats and animals will definetly give you a new perspective on what calibers you would " imagine" using.
    Would love to go just for the sights some day.

http://www.tilley.com/LTM6-AIRFLO-Nylamtium-Hat.aspx never leave home without it. Guaranteed for life even if lost what a deal.

Man that is so dang awesome!! I hope to get that opportunity one day. If you could post some picks in off topic I would love to see them.

I like the wide brim boonie hats. Lots of coverage and easy to roll up and stuff away.

I told my wife that once the hair on top of my head went, it was all going to get shaved off. That was over 10 years ago. Don't own a comb. Shave my head clean every 3 days or so. So yes, I wear a hat! Sometimes a ball cap, sometimes a wide brim ventilated "cowboy" hat. The big hat looks cool in a business suit! Kinda the "Texas oilman" look.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Would you guys recommend a starter Stetson? A beginner's Cowboy hat? Also, who sells the nicest ripstop Boonie?
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

PS: I need to update my profile when I get off of this iPhone and into my browser. Sorry about the delay.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by dooga View Post
    Would you guys recommend a starter Stetson? A beginner's Cowboy hat? Also, who sells the nicest ripstop Boonie?
    I've always had good luck with just the "surplus" boonies, although I really only wear them for camping/hiking. They have the advantage of getting the job done, but not being so expensive that you are heartbroken if it blows away on a ridge. Then, too, you can often quickly find another one at a general store or outfitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dooga View Post
    Stetson Cowboy Hats - Collections - The Standard In Western Hats
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

DSCN2431.jpgDSCN2429.jpg

Hard to be a quality straw hat for warm weather.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links