A hat!

This is a discussion on A hat! within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Time was, every man knew never to leave the house without a hat. There are all kinds of reasons to wear a hat, but one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A hat!

A hat!

Time was, every man knew never to leave the house without a hat. There are all kinds of reasons to wear a hat, but one of them never occurred to me until last night. I was walking home from the Y past the city park, where the authorities have created a muggers paradise by putting blazing bright streetlights up high so that the trees in the park cast pools of inky blackness. I was trying to keep my eyes open and look around, and those lights made it really difficult. Maybe it's my glasses, but something about those lights seemed to sort of blank out my vision even though I wasn't looking at them. I realized all I could do to be able to maintain clear vision was hold my hand up to block them out. If I'd had a hat, though--problem solved, without having to be in an awkward position. Also, if anyone had been approaching me, my eyes would have been hidden in shadow under my hat, making me look like a true badass...

2. Remove Ads

I've worn a hat my whole life, feel naked if I go out without one, and you're right, great for blocking out the glare from the sun/streetlights, whatever, and shelter as well from sun and rain. Unfortunately, practicality went out of style some time ago.

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Were you like this guy?
    Attached Images
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Were you like this guy?
    He's keeping the sun off his neck of course. Nothing wrong with that young man's thinking.

Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I don't wear hats, I did for some time when I was younger. I also used to wear my hair longer (not hippie long) and really cared about how my hair looked. Thankfully I've grown out of that crap. Now my head is all but shaved (I don't own a comb) but I still don't wear hats. The sun bugs the hell out of me, I wear sunglasses outside if it's daytime cloudy or not, especially if there is snow on the ground.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Interesting...
    NRA Life Member

I've always worn a brim. A good Stetson or Resistol in the colder months keeps your head warm. When the wind is blowing snow or rain in your face, a simple tilt of the head blocks it out.

In the summer months, since a few skin cancers were removed a few years back, I now find it prudent to protect my already sun damaged skin with a good straw hat. Ball caps just don't offer enough protection.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I've always worn a brim. A good Stetson or Resistol in the colder months keeps your head warm. When the wind is blowing snow or rain in your face, a simple tilt of the head blocks it out.

In the summer months, since a few skin cancers were removed a few years back, I now find it prudent to protect my already sun damaged skin with a good straw hat. Ball caps just don't offer enough protection.
    What do you wear when a ninja elephant is sneaking up on you?
    Guest1 and Rock and Glock like this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Something that allows me to blend in and not scream " American Tourist".
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member

I almost bought a Stetson this summer. Even though my kid cheered me on when I tried it, I decided it would make me stand out a little and go against my 'grey man' attire. When I hit my 50's in a few years, I figure I'll be old enough that nobody'll notice.

Otherwise I'm always in a ball cap, and nothing beats a straw hat for working in the sun.
    shooterX likes this.

VIP Member
    I've always had affection for the fedora, however, it's hard getting away with wearing one, kinda makes you stand out like WHEC724 said. I use to have a Stetson when I was younger, gave it to my Dad long time ago.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

They do make you stand out. All the people who wear ball caps sideways and have pants down to their knees just kinda look at you like you are weird. Hell, goin against the norm is what I've always done, and never really gave two good damns what anybody thought.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Something that allows me to blend in and not scream " American Tourist".
    I've wondered about that ninja elephant. Any chance we could get some background info on that picture?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I've wondered about that ninja elephant. Any chance we could get some background info on that picture?
    Wai in South Africa in a northern province , taking time out from a combination missionary/hunting trip. The wife and some others in the group wanted to check out some animals on the reserve.

So we loaded up in the Land Rover and took some of the assistant guides out in the bush . A herd of elephants was nearby, but they took off when we approached except this one, who had a calf with her.
    The guides explained this elephant although living in the wild, was an orphan from poachers and had been raised around people. The calf, was not hers, but also another orphan, and she accepted it and was raising it as her own.

So, we dismounted from the safety of the vehicle, and took some time for a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to be able to go hands on with this gigantic but gentle pachyderm.

I discovered she liked sunflower seeds, and when this photo was taken by my wife, it was coming for my other package of them.
    The calf, while cute as it could be, was highly jealous, and would knock me out of the way whenever I got to close to " mama".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links