night vision devices

This is a discussion on night vision devices within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought an ATN night vision monocular about 10 years ago and the other day, I tested it and found that it did not work ...

Thread: night vision devices

night vision devices

I bought an ATN night vision monocular about 10 years ago and the other day, I tested it and found that it did not work anymore. Is there a service life to these? Of course I had new batts. in it, but the screen is black now.
    I liked it enough to buy a night vision scope and a set of goggles later. If they all crap out after a decade or so, I will be extremely upset and won't waste my money on any of that again!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

2. Remove Ads

Does it still "whine" when you turn it on? The tubes have a shelf life because the vacuum eventually breaks down, but you would see that over time, and the image would just be badly degraded with black spots, wouldn't just be totally black. Sounds like a electrical problem, maybe condensation got inside.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Quote Originally Posted by svinfinity45 View Post
    Does it still "whine" when you turn it on? The tubes have a shelf life because the vacuum eventually breaks down, but you would see that over time, and the image would just be badly degraded with black spots, wouldn't just be totally black. Sounds like a electrical problem, maybe condensation got inside.
    Thanks for the reply; Have'nt noticed the whine up even since new and it's been stored indoors in a pelican case as far as the moisture problem. Just checked, and at least the goggles still work.
    I'm the only thing whining right now!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I'd call ATN Customer Service
    North American Office

1341 San Mateo Avenue
    South San Francisco, CA 94080

Phone:
    800-910-2862
    650-989-5100

Fax:
    650-875-0129

E-mail:
    info@atncorp.com
    sales@atncorp.com
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks, I'll definately try that, but I'm sure the warranty expired about 9 years ago. Never hurts to ask though.

Did you leave old batteries in it for a while?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Did you leave old batteries in it for a while?
    No, I remove them when not in use

Links