5.11 Belt Question

5.11 Belt Question

This is a discussion on 5.11 Belt Question within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am hoping you guys can help me out with a question. I am getting used to carrying my new glock 19 IWB and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 5.11 Belt Question

5.11 Belt Question

I am hoping you guys can help me out with a question. I am getting used to carrying my new glock 19 IWB and I am in the process of finding a good holster that I find both comfortable and can easily draw from in a hurry. I know that a good gun belt is going to go a long way toward making my setup more comfortable, I just need some help deciding on a belt. I have been looking at two at my LGS and they are both from 5.11. The way they are tagged I can't try it on at the store and was wondering if you could help me out on the differences between the double duty and trainer belts. I will post some links to the two I am looking at from 5.11's website down below. I can tell that the trainer belt is much thicker whereas the double duty belt seems almost more like a normal belt. The guy behind the register was telling me that the trainer belt is overkill, but I wanted to check here and see what the consensus is on these products.

On another note this place has a 30 day return policy on holsters, which has saved me almost $100 so far since I have bought and returned three different styles. So far I am really liking the Remora that I ordered online and had no luck with a Don Hume IWB and a Fobus paddle OWB. This is a fun journey and I am trying to enjoy the process. I still have to wait a few weeks for my carry permit to process so I am hoping I can have my carry rig all ready to go by the time my permit gets here.

Thanks for any help with the belt and stay safe.

Mike

Links:

Double Duty TDU Belt 1.5" | Tactical Belts | 5.11 Tactical Double Duty

Trainer 1 1/2" Wide Tactical Belt | Tactical Belts | 5.11 Tactical Trainer
    Fear the man with one gun. Especially if that gun is a Glock 19.

VIP Member
    Here is the one I recommend, and wear every day. Check out the description closely. Easy-Fit Original Instructor Belt - NEW OPTIONS!
    MinistrMalic likes this.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I agree with Mike. I tried the 5.11 on, and the Wilderness, and bought the Wilderness. I have not been disappointed.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Is the wilderness really much better than the 5.11?

I own two of the 5.11s. This helps cover weight fluctuations. I have been pleased so far, but sometimes feel the need for a change...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    Is the wilderness really much better than the 5.11?

I own two of the 5.11s. This helps cover weight fluctuations. I have been pleased so far, but sometimes feel the need for a change...
    Each Wilderness Instructor size allows for five inches of waist variation. For me, this allows for use when not carrying IWB, as well as when carrying one or both of my primary carry guns, all with the same belt. It also has a carbon steel v-ring buckle and a tested capacity of nearly 6k lbs of stress.

Thanks for the replies. I try to support some of the local smaller gun stores over buying stuff off the internet if I can help it and find a good price. I will call around and see if anyone carries those Wilderness belts.

Here's a comparison video I did with the various 5.11 belts. I have 3 Wilderness belts and prefer them over the 5.11 belts though. The video might give you some direction though.

nerdyvirgin likes this.

Thank you very much for posting the video, that was extremely helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    Thank you very much for posting the video, that was extremely helpful!
    You're welcome. Glad you found it useful!

Snareman,

I just wanted to update this thread and let you know that I went out and bought the Operator belt yesterday and so far I could not be happier. I will have to give it a try over the next couple of days, but I can see why everyone on here says you need to get a good belt before starting the quest for a holster. The difference is amazing. Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RugerMike View Post
    Snareman,

I just wanted to update this thread and let you know that I went out and bought the Operator belt yesterday and so far I could not be happier. I will have to give it a try over the next couple of days, but I can see why everyone on here says you need to get a good belt before starting the quest for a holster. The difference is amazing. Thanks again for the help.

Mike
    Glad you're enjoying it. A good belt definitely make a huge difference!

Thank you everyone
    Thanks You and God Bless You DefensiveCarry.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    FWIW, I have two Blackhawk! CQB rigger belts, and one Cobrfa belt from Original SOE. The SOE EDC and Cobra belts are absolutely amazing. The Blackhawks are great for the price. The SOE belts are ultra-rigid, and run about $75 shipped. The Blackhawk ones are more easily used in belt loops on pants, and on ebay can be had for about $21 each.

I use the 5.11 Trainer belt when I carry (ok...I wear with my uniform too). I like it and it works for me--provides for a stable platform whether I'm using an IWB kydex (Blade-tech), IWB leather (UBG Holsters), OWB leather (UBG Holsters), or OWB kydex/composite (Blackhawk).

My opinion--stay away from nylon (one-size-fits-none) or niche holsters (remora has a following here--and serves a purpose for some unconventional carrying)...but its your money. Regardless of what you buy, make sure you practice, practice, practice with your holster of choice.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

5.11 Operator here, love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links