Looking for EDC Flashlight

This is a discussion on Looking for EDC Flashlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i would suggest the LED-Resource has posted our review of the Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight!. Key Specifications Brightness: 104 lumens high, 26 lumens low, 104 ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Looking for EDC Flashlight

i would suggest the LED-Resource has posted our review of the Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight!.

Key Specifications
    Brightness: 104 lumens high, 26 lumens low, 104 lumens strobe
    Runtime: 8h 45m high, 36h low
    Battery: 3 x AAA
    Length: 4.8″
    Diameter: 1″
    Weight with Batteries: 3.68 oz.
    Warranty: Limited Lifetime
    MSRP: $29.99

it is amazing light for the money and better! all my friends that have more expensive lights our envious and wish they had gotten this instead .

2. Remove Ads

Easy rttr84...... notice the hahahahaha?????? Or do we just not have a sense of humor? Not saying there isn't a lemon every now and then because everyone makes mistakes here and there but my experience is great ....in the mean time .....chill out

Quote Originally Posted by jjmobo View Post
    it is amazing light for the money and better! all my friends that have more expensive lights our envious and wish they had gotten this instead .
    Yeah... I think I'll keep my LX2. I like to be able to clearly see things more than 20 feet away.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

these little 2AA Cree lights are made by Nuwai, one of the largest flashlight manufacturers in the world. The lights are marketed and re-branded by Ray-o-vac, Terralux, and now Energizer. They are very well made, and are perfect EDC lights at a great price. Current lights are rear end clickies that can be locked out if you carry in a pocket. Currently Target Stores carries the Energizer branded light for $20, and the thing is a 2AA flamethrower.....incredibly bright, but no lumen output or type of Cree is listed on the Energizer packaging. I would guess it is easily 200 lumens. Just look in the flashlight section at Target....has a white anodized aluminum body.

yes, I have seven Surefires, but carry the little Nuwai branded lights. At the price, if I lose one, I won't cry.

Terralux LightStar 220 EXTREME 3W LED Aircraft Grade Aluminum Flashlight 2XAA up to 220 Lumens!

little Surefire G2Z Combat light would never be a bad choice...but like was already posted, you pay for a Surefire quality flashlight.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I've been into flashlights for several years now. Started out with Surefire. Had a M3, still have a G2 led and an e1l.

As for AAA size batteries, they just don't hold enough juice. Get something that will take nimh AA or some sort of lithium.

I have two main EDC lights.

1. Fenix TK 45. $130-$150, takes 8 nimh AA, 760 lumens, 4 brightness levels and is the size of a 2D mag lite. Bateries last two hours on turbo (760 lumens). It is also HAIII hard anodized like Surefire.

2. Solarforce L2P. Added 5 amp switch, tactical bezel and a Cree XML-T6 led run off one 18650 lithium battery with one hour run time. 650 lumens. Also HAIII anodized like Surefire. I have around $100 into this one.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    As for AAA size batteries, they just don't hold enough juice.
    plus the little carriers that hold the AAA batteries....ALWAYS FAIL. ALWAYS!!!
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

+1 on fenix. Generally better priced than surefire, and just as awesome IMO. I bought the PD-31 it maxes out at 304 lumens which after looking at it and then strobing myself with it it plenty bright. It DOES NOT run on AAA, it uses CR-123 which CAN be expensive, but battery depot has some for $1 that are hbighly rated. I am about to buy them once I get done typing this. I love it. Good luck with the search.

BigJon

I got a 3-pack of TechLite Lumen Masters at Costco for $20 or so. They are super bright with a regular, high power, and strobe settings. power button on end, aircraft-grade aluminum, bezel on front. The batts that come in the package are crap. They say "duracell", but they are made in China. Regular duracells last longer. Uses 3 AAA batts. I've seen reviews online, but they are slightly different than the ones I have. Some have a low batt light in the tail, but mine doesn't (that feature drains the batteries). And mine is a fixed beam, not focus-adjustable. But it is 160 Lumens or so, very bright, very far reaching beam, and sheds a wider beam than some tac lights, so it works well as a regular flashlight too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    +1 on fenix. Generally better priced than surefire, and just as awesome IMO. I bought the PD-31 it maxes out at 304 lumens which after looking at it and then strobing myself with it it plenty bright. It DOES NOT run on AAA, it uses CR-123 which CAN be expensive, but battery depot has some for $1 that are hbighly rated. I am about to buy them once I get done typing this. I love it. Good luck with the search.

BigJon
    Yeah, Fenix makes nice lights. I have the PD30 and the PD31. Both use the XP-G R5 emitter. They both have the same UI. The PD31 is heavier (106g with 18650 battery) versus the PD30 (75g with two CR123's), and the PD31 is a little larger. I cannot tell any difference between the two for lumens output, though the PD31 is rated at about 40 lumens more than the PD30. If you're choosing between these two for a pocket light, then the PD30 would win the battle IMHO.

The only real advantage I can see for the PD31 is that it can utilize either an 18650 (rechargeable) or two CR123's, whereas the PD30 can only utilize two CR123's.

Oh, one more neat thing about the PD30 is that it will accept a Quark 'tactical' switch (which is a momentary switch). The PD30 and PD31 both come with a forward clicky which must be fully clicked on.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I've got a Fenix PD31 in my pocket right now. Doesn't really meet your requirements since it takes CR123 batteries and doesn't have a strike bezel, and on high it gets pretty hot. That being said, I think it does fairly well on batteries as long as it's not on "turbo" and it will get up to 304 lumens. It has a strobe and there's an sos feature and several different brightness modes. It's a good, durable light and I like it a lot.

Just got the Fenix LD10 R5 today, will be playing with it (the flashlight, you pervs) tonight. So far I likey.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yeah, Fenix makes nice lights. I have the PD30 and the PD31. Both use the XP-G R5 emitter. They both have the same UI. The PD31 is heavier (106g with 18650 battery) versus the PD30 (75g with two CR123's), and the PD31 is a little larger. I cannot tell any difference between the two for lumens output, though the PD31 is rated at about 40 lumens more than the PD30. If you're choosing between these two for a pocket light, then the PD30 would win the battle IMHO.

The only real advantage I can see for the PD31 is that it can utilize either an 18650 (rechargeable) or two CR123's, whereas the PD30 can only utilize two CR123's.

Oh, one more neat thing about the PD30 is that it will accept a Quark 'tactical' switch (which is a momentary switch). The PD30 and PD31 both come with a forward clicky which must be fully clicked on.

-
    Chevy-ss, My PD-31 comes on if the button is partially depressed and turns off when released. Not sure if that is what you are mentioning, but for most functions it must be fully depressed/clicked. I dont really pocket carry it so it may as you stated not meet the OP's other requirements as well.

BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Chevy-ss, My PD-31 comes on if the button is partially depressed .......
    PD31 has a "reverse clicky" switch. A reverse clickie cannot turn on the light when you press the switch half way. In other words, the switch is similar to a Maglite C or D cell light, you must fully click the switch to turn the light on and then fully click to turn the light off. However, with a "reverse clicky" you CAN often switch modes with a partial press, once the light is turned on - the PD31 works this way.

A "forward clicky" (also often called a 'tactical' switch) can turn on the light when you press the switch half way - which works great for brief, momentary illuminations. I greatly prefer the "forward clicky" ('tactical') switches..... JMHO though.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    A lot of choices! I will have to pick one and just go for it. This might actually be harder than choosing a firearm. :)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links