Looking for EDC Flashlight - Page 4

Looking for EDC Flashlight

This is a discussion on Looking for EDC Flashlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PD 20 here!...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Looking for EDC Flashlight

PD 20 here!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    RE: a "thrower" light -

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, think about it. Your EDC light is the one you will have when the ice cream melts. Maybe you won't need it for anything more strenuous than changing a tire, or trying to find something you dropped. But perhaps you have a sudden potential threat that you need to identify RIGHT NOW, from across the street; i.e., at a distance. In such a case, you need all the throw you can get.
    Ah, I see (no pun intended ) what you're saying - I think that a part of the problem is that we have different definitions of "throw."

For me, "throw" is something that's the purview of some of the lights in that 2010 beam-shot article that I'd referenced.

I think that was the fundamental disconnect, between us, in our discussion.

Perhaps there is an AA-powered pocket-sized light which can do that; I haven't seen one.
    You've gotta try some of the newer tech. Just for fun, if nothing else.

And while I have no reason to doubt the efficacy of those Cree units, you alluded to the reason why I don't carry a 6P/G2 size light; they are just a bit too large to conveniently tote in street clothes.
    I'm lucky - I'm an academic scientist, so my everyday wear pretty much is always an untucked $5 Old-Navy T over $30 Old-Navy jeans. My Z2S-LED, using an X-Concealment clip, is perfect fit and is unobtrusive in such clothing.

But like you said, when my wife makes me "dress like an adult" or, worse-yet, "dress like a human," I switch to something smaller. I'm currently looking at picking up an old L2X, since I prefer a bezel-down carry....

Again, I am not trying to be argumentative here. There are indeed suitable (i.e., durable) lights using 123 batteries that cost less than SureFire. I was trying to sell single-malt scotch to beer drinkers...
    No, no, I understand completely what you're saying. Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I have been researching flashlights and the number of options is amazing! (have to love living in America!) This will be my first serious EDC flashlight; all my others have been run of the mill household lights.

I am looking for a flashlight that is at least 100 lumens, has a bezel w/the ability to strike an attacker (strike bezel?), runs on AAAs (if possible), has a click-on button on the back and has a strobe feature.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
    I have a couple of the Olight T10's http://www.amazon.com/Olight-T10-R5-...2885115&sr=8-1

210 Lumen
    $37
    click on button in the back
    3 light levels plus a strobe. A nice feature is that it remembers what mode you leave it in, including strobe, and turns back on in that mode without having to cycle there.
    1 123 Lithium, not AAA. I've found that by buying online, I can get 123's for about $0.50 apiece. I've moved to 123's as my standard battery now.
    Too small to be a physical weapon, but it's brighter than my 6-C cell Maglight and a lot easier to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Don't worry.
    I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    I can get 123's for about $0.50 apiece. .
    Be careful... be VERY careful. The reason you can get them so cheap is because they're made in China (or India, Serbia, etc., take your pick), and are missing a critical component- the vent.

These things have a tremendous amount of energy packed into a small space. If it develops an internal short, the vent allows the resulting gas to be expelled relatively safely. No vent, and the batteries catch fire. Period. This has been documented too many times to discount. I personally know of two instances, involving the Interstate brand of 123, where the batteries caught fire and exploded within InSight M3X gun lights. The lights were not even being used; just sitting there.

Do yourself a favor and stick with Sanyo cells. SureFire, StreamLight, Panasonic, are all made by Sanyo. There may be others. You're taking a big chance with the cheap imports.

FYI...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Be careful... be VERY careful. The reason you can get them so cheap is because they're made in China (or India, Serbia, etc., take your pick), and are missing a critical component- the vent....
    I haven't had any problems to date, but good to know.

Thanks!

I use a weapon mounted TLR-1s on my GLOCKs and a handheld Streamlight 6P LED as well. Two different light sources for two different needs.
    In honor of AW2 Jason Lawson (The Law). We'll never forget you.

tts

I carry the surefire E2D defender LED. I always wanted one so I bought it. It has 200 lumens on hi and 15 on low, it has the strike bezels and a pocket clip that can be removed. I carry it everyday and it can double as a weapon of need be. I had a few other Coast flashlights that take AAA batteries but if you don't use them for a while they go dead so I picked up a stream light Polytac for about 30 bucks. For the price it's a decent light, I use it just to keep beside the bed so I always know where it's at, it's no comparison to the Surefire but it has lithium batteries that have a longer shelf life so it's always ready to go. I always buy Surefire batteries from Lowes, I know there's cheaper options but they are reasonable and I don't go through that many.

I use an insight HX120. Meets all of your specs I believe except for it runs on cr123. The batteries last a while in my experience though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FENIX PD32 very nicely priced.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

ntg
    A JetBeam PA40 at an excellent price. Probably not a EDC, but would be great for house applications. BTW, I have no association w/ this seller; just a great deal I came across.

JetBeam PA40 Cree XM-L T6 AA Tactical LED Waterproof Tactical Flashlight | eBay
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

picked up two of these Terralux Lightstars 300 lumens output on sale for 35% of the price listed, threw in a couple of lithium AA batteries and these guys rock. Very bright and would make a great EDC flashlight. The fact they run AA batteries is a big cost savings.

TerraLux TLF-3002AA-BK LightStar 300 LED Flashlight, 300 Lumens, 2 x AA Batteries, Dark Grey
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I carry every day, everywhere a Surefire Backup. I have had this light in my pocket every day for at least 6 or 7 years. It gets used daily. Some of the finish is gone just from being in my pocket. I paid $100 for it. One of the best things I ever bought. Wife thought I had lost my mind, until we come home and the lights were out. Here are a couple thoughts on 123A batteries: 1. If you let AA batteries sit unused for very long they go dead. 123A batteries don't. 2. I don't understand why everyone thinks 123A batteries are so expensive. I can buy Surefire batteries occassionally for $1, but even at Lowes they are 2 for $5. I replace mine about twice a year, maybe 3 times. That is at most $7.50 a YEAR for a high quality, dependable light that I know I can count on. I recently bought for $40 the Insight H120 thinking I would get more lumens and the strobe feature. While it is a nice light, the fit and finish is nothing like the Backup and it is quite a bit bigger even though still a one cell. Plus, the edges are too sharp to carry in my pocket. The different options on the Insight are nice, but I can never remember how to activate what I want. I know in a self defense situation I would never get the strobe on. Can't remember how when I have time to think about it. Now, I'm not a Surefire fanboy, but my Backup is just one heck of a light. I have no doubt I'll be using it in 10 more years unless technology forces me to buy something else.
    Last edited by 1911 Nut; August 21st, 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ You've hit the nail on the head - 123 primaries aren't that expensive, if you're only replacing them a few times a year. But if you're replacing them weekly, that gets to be another story...and that's usually what drives those with such needs to look at alternative power sources.

Also, if you travel frequently, 123s can pose additional concerns, and can make the near-universal availability of the AAs much more attractive.

As with many things, it's not a one-size-fits-all. The end-user has to find what's right for him/her.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links