Looking for EDC Flashlight

This is a discussion on Looking for EDC Flashlight within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been researching flashlights and the number of options is amazing! (have to love living in America!) This will be my first serious EDC ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Looking for EDC Flashlight

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Looking for EDC Flashlight

I have been researching flashlights and the number of options is amazing! (have to love living in America!) This will be my first serious EDC flashlight; all my others have been run of the mill household lights.

I am looking for a flashlight that is at least 100 lumens, has a bezel w/the ability to strike an attacker (strike bezel?), runs on AAAs (if possible), has a click-on button on the back and has a strobe feature.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Buy a SureFire 'once', buy several others and you'll eventually get back to one of the best...SurFire!
    Pay a little more up front, or pay a little less several times.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Surefire LX2 my EDC for over a year now, use it every single day the finish is still perfect on it.. Had others that were still considered high end, they had malfunctions and finish wearing and flacking off in weeks of use.

Ignore the other things in this picture I just wanted to show off the Surefire on how good it looks after carrying it for a year.

AZ Hawk, ASSA9, tts and 3 others like this.

Flashlights have been a hobby for about two years. I asked the same question as you back then and the top recommendation (for a smaller size light) was the Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. That was one of my very first lights. Since then, I have bought at least 100 additional lights (mostly for gifting). I have tried numerous lights for EDC, but I always keep coming back to my Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5. It has a very nice UI, 8 different settings, but you pick you favorite two modes, then program them into the light, so that tight head gives you one mode and a loose head gives you the other mode. I have mine set for HIGH and STROBE. That way, when you press the button (momentary on or click on), you know exactly what mode is coming on.

You will not regret getting a Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5.

Size comparison pic below:

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Man, wish I'd found out about Quarks before getting my Fenix LD10 for not a lot less money. I like it okay, but I like the sound of the Quark a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    You will not regret getting a Quark 123*2 'Tactical' XP-G R5.

Size comparison pic below:

-
    I had very bad luck with two of those 123-2 R5s the normal non tactical version, QC issues on the threads would cause too much play in the head and random mode changes.. I gave up on 4Sevens.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Those LX2s are not cheap!

I would also add the requirement that the flashlight doesn't get too hot to hold after 20+ minutes of use. Was on deployment and held a small AA size light with on/off button in back-end (I don't remember the name) for 30+ minutes while doc was cutting something out of some guy. I had to put a small towel around it or it would bee too hot to hold longer. It might have been a cheap-o, not sure.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

I'm in a similar boat check this thread for some suggestions.

Looking for Flashlight: Small EDC light.

I'm looking for a single AA battery powered light. I ended up ordering a Fenix LD10 R5. I had an Amazon gift card and on a budget so this fit the bill pretty good. I have not received it yet.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Big fan of my Streamlight PT2AA, they also make it in a single AA battery size.
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Quote Originally Posted by RTTR84 View Post
    Surefire LX2 my EDC for over a year now, use it every single day the finish is still perfect on it.. Had others that were still considered high end, they had malfunctions and finish wearing and flacking off in weeks of use.

Ignore the other things in this picture I just wanted to show off the Surefire on how good it looks after carrying it for a year.
    I carry the LX2 as well. It's an excellent, albeit pricey flashlight. It's bright enough to cause temporary blindness during the day!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I have a Quark 123. I am very happy with it! It has accidentally been through the washing machine twice and works like a charm.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I have a 4sevens quark 123 Turbo and 2 fenix lights and I LOVE the 4sevens. Its been great going on 2 years now. Not a battery hog super bright and great ui! I hear some people on here bad mouthing them but haters are going to hate! Hahahaha. Oh yea if you go with fenix or surefire, check out lapolicegear.com. they have great deals on closeout section and that's were mine come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I have a 4sevens quark 123 Turbo and 2 fenix lights and I LOVE the 4sevens. Its been great going on 2 years now. Not a battery hog super bright and great ui! I hear some people on here bad mouthing them but haters are going to hate! Hahahaha. Oh yea if you go with fenix or surefire, check out lapolicegear.com. they have great deals on closeout section and that's were mine come from.
    Haters gonna hate?

Haters are someone that has never owned a product and think they know what they are talking about, I've owned a handful of 4Sevens lights.

FENIX
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links