Bug Out Bag - Page 2

Bug Out Bag

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You already have "pens" in your list but more specifically, Jeff Randall of "Randall's Adventure & Training" (Esee Knives) recommends a Fisher Trekker Space Pen ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bug Out Bag

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    You already have "pens" in your list but more specifically, Jeff Randall of "Randall's Adventure & Training" (Esee Knives) recommends a Fisher Trekker Space Pen for a bug out bag.

Here's a really good article from Randall about Bug out Bags if you're interested;
    http://www.eseeknives.com/bug_out_bags.pdf

VIP Member
    I don't have a bob so much as a GHB in the car, and an evac bag in the house. Both are simple, and made for fast and light travel.
    JerryMac likes this.

one thing i didnt see on your list is spare ammo. i know its heavy but i keep a small water tight pelican case of 50 rounds of 380 for my bug bag gun. in the event i cant take any of my others i know i can hunt,defend my famiy and whatnot with 50 rounds and a gun at under 7lbs. also maps of the surrounding area and escape routes, keyword routes lol never know what roads will be blocked. i keep small bob (bug out bag) in both cars, the office and the main one at home. you never know where your gonna be when SHTF
    Semper Fi

My BoB carries about anything I need and can go almost anywhere. It's usually packed with 10 gal of water, ammo for each of my rifles and pistols, tents, backpacks and other various camping gear.

DefConGun and JerryMac like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    My BoB carries about anything I need and can go almost anywhere. It's usually packed with 10 gal of water, ammo for each of my rifles and pistols, tents, backpacks and other various camping gear.

Right tire is looking a little low there Sam

Also people, zipties! They come in all sizes, and I try to keep a few from six inches to three feet in my bag, and they take up barely any room and can be used for many different things.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I don't have a bob so much as a GHB in the car, and an evac bag in the house. Both are simple, and made for fast and light travel.
    Yeah, I'm not interested in a bug OUT bag, I might need a Get Home Bag though. What kinds of things other than cash do you recommend?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Yeah, I'm not interested in a bug OUT bag, I might need a Get Home Bag though. What kinds of things other than cash do you recommend?
    Any old bag will do, just keep it small. Mine contains a poncho, drum liner, space blanket, fleece hat, fleece gloves, matches, flint bar, energy bars/snacks, 1 MRE entree, drink mix, 2 bottles of water, cash, light sticks, para cord, compass, small folding knife, and a small bit of tp. All this fits in a small non descript shoulder bag, less than 1000 cubic inches.

In the summer I throw a hat with a brim in the truck.

The car also has a couple of wool blankets and an old broken in pair of walking shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Right tire is looking a little low there Sam
    Yes, I have remounted that tire at least 3 times and even replaced the tube a time or two. It still continues to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Also people, zipties! They come in all sizes, and I try to keep a few from six inches to three feet in my bag, and they take up barely any room and can be used for many different things.
    Those are in the jeep. Left over from the campaign.

Love the Jeep! I have put in the zipties and will look into the wrenches suggested. I am now currently working on my "get home bag as well" Reading the article DefCon listed was great. I think my getting home through the city bag vs my getting out of the city bag are going to be different and both useful. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming. I have a small utility trailer (I mobile DJ) and have thought about using it pending the apocalypse, but its not constantly stored with survival gear. Live in the suburbs and space is at a premium here. May store stuff at my parents 5 acre lot, the only thing is it is in the direction of L.A. and Lord knows if anything goes down we will probably want to be going the other way!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have a get home bag, that is my main concern, as I work on the river, and can be 2-3 days from home at any given time, and more depending on transportation. One thing that is light and do not see a lot of comment on is freeze dried food, energy bars, ..... on top of those have compass, fire starter, water, water purification tabs, headlight, flashlight, AMMO, large fixed blade knie, multi tool, 3 space blankets, a whistlle, sounds like it needs wheels as i know there is more in there, but really is light weight, my main concern is getting home. I live in a remote area with people that are mostly family, so buggin out, we do not think is an option, but we have communtcation and a plan in place in case of a natural, man made disaster. We can cut the outside off from us unless ya fly in or have a good boat.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    I have a get home bag, that is my main concern, as I work on the river, and can be 2-3 days from home at any given time, and more depending on transportation. One thing that is light and do not see a lot of comment on is freeze dried food, energy bars, ..... on top of those have compass, fire starter, water, water purification tabs, headlight, flashlight, AMMO, large fixed blade knie, multi tool, 3 space blankets, a whistlle, sounds like it needs wheels as i know there is more in there, but really is light weight, my main concern is getting home. I live in a remote area with people that are mostly family, so buggin out, we do not think is an option, but we have communtcation and a plan in place in case of a natural, man made disaster. We can cut the outside off from us unless ya fly in or have a good boat.
    That is a good list. I have plenty of freeze dried food that I use for camping and backpacking, but not in my GHB. The main reason is the requirement for water. I don't want to use up good potable water on food, so I stick with quick foods like energy bars, snack crakcers, and an MRE entree - that kind of food.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post

LOL. That is an awesome trailer, but if you can haul it behind your vehicle and can fit a tent and more in it, it doesent qualify as a bug out bag!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

You know something that might sound crazy at first but is nevertheless something I feel is very important for you to have you in your Bug Out Bag is a pair of sun glasses. Not knowing what the specific situation will be when planning for a SHTF situation, its important to be prepared for a variety of contingencies. Sun glasses may prevent you from getting snow blind if you find yourself in need to be outside for a prolonged amount of time surrounded by a snow white landscape. Also, sunglasses, can double as eye protection if you're in a situation where you need to fire your semi-auto pistol. Given that sunglasses should pull double duty as both screening as well as eye protection, you should get something that's impact resistant. Tonight I was talking to a helpful salesman at the sunglasses shop and he was telling me that the military uses Oakley because they serve as ballistic eye protection. I found this interesting and had never given it any thought before but if we want to continue to be fit to fire our firearms in the future, we need to protect our vision. We take this precaution at the firing range so shouldn't continue to take this precaution in the field?

To get the most out of your glasses, IMO, I would summarize that sunglasses need to meet the following criteria;

• Polarized lenses that filter out harmful UV rays to protect vision and promote vision clarity to aid with target acquisition
    • Impact resistant lenses that meet ANSI Z87.1 standards as a safety measure to protect eyes
    • Flexible frames that can bend that will stand up to the stress found out in the field.

Just my $.02. After giving this some thought, my BOB is going to find the addition of a pair of sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My Bug Out Bag is Large & Heavy so I'm getting a mule for a pet.
    If it comes down to it you can eat the mule.

Michael

Administrator
    Folks really need to sit down and think about their own personal needs and intentions and tailor a BOB to that. Mine will not be the same as yours.
    Example: Do you want to be able to duck out into the deep woods and live for "X" amount of time out of just that bag or do you just need to get out of an urban area to Grandmas house in the country? Your needs will be quite different.

One of these days real soon I will need to list all of the items in my BOB on the forum.
    Right now my Bug Out Bag is in a state of flux because I am switching out some items in order to trim back on weight.

For instance (right now) I'm shopping around for a high quality lightweight monocular so that I can dump the older, heavier binoculars.
    I've swapped a small hand ax for a multifunction Chinese military shovel which has an ax edge.
    As some of you may have read in another thread I'll soon be adding a wound closure suture kit to my med bag after I gain some decent suturing skills.

Two great items are Survival Tabs & the DATREX food bars - They add weight but, that added weight is well worth it for the concentrated great length of last ditch survival food time gained.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links