Bug Out Bag

Bug Out Bag

This is a discussion on Bug Out Bag within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, Wondered what you have in your B.O.B.s I am ALWAYS looking to improve/update mine. I bought a bag from cheaper than dirt that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bug Out Bag

Bug Out Bag

Hey all,

Wondered what you have in your B.O.B.s I am ALWAYS looking to improve/update mine.

I bought a bag from cheaper than dirt that is a duffle and backpack combo. It is duffle carry with flaps that velcro down over the backpack straps that keep them out of the way. Mine is black but they have it in an army digital camo color as well. BAG-178 - Leapers UTG Ranger Field Bag Army Digital 36x17x12" Heavy Duty PVC Waterproof Lining. I love it, it is easy to carry, and has lots of room and pockets. One thing people have commented on is that it does not have magazine compartments. I live in CA and thus do not have an AR as the only thing I would be able to get is a slaughtered version that is more work than my other potential SHTF rifle that will come with us; an SKS that is awesome IMO eats anything and I have a few ammo cans filled with clips ready to go.

I have some room in it and that is unacceptable to me

It contains thus far:
    Clothes:
    warm and cold weather set (no jackets) those will be carried or loaded into the car quickly
    toiletries
    trashbags: for ponchos or any other multiple uses
    paracord
    knife and a multitool
    duct tape: for EVERYTHING!
    water purification filters
    markers,pens, and paper
    photocopies of important documents
    some change and small bills
    fire starting implements (waterproof matches, fuel cubes, striker flint)
    a tarp
    various medications (ibuprofen, imodium AD, tylenol, advil etc.)
    compass
    flashlight (considering removing this as I have a fenix PD-31 in my EDC, but maybe something with standard batteries is better)
    Extra D cell batteries (maybe I will replace with some CR-123, lot smaller, and fit my EDC light)
    ziploc bags of various sizes.
    May have forgot some stuff, Ill check the bag and add as needed.

I also "plan" on being able to throw a camping box I keep in the garage into the car that has cooking/eating implements in it.
    Have a gas can for the vehicle and case(s) of water to go as well.
    I also will bring my firearms of various sizes and use. I have ammo boxes ready to be loaded into the vehicle. Of course all of this is assuming I can bring a vehicle. If not the plan is to load up a backpack with the ammo or use what room is left in the B.O.B.

Interested to see what you folks have in yours and any suggestions for improvement in your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

BigJon
    tts likes this.

Little Debbies
    baren likes this.

I have a 3 day pack from LA Police Gear. First aid, extra clothing, tool kit, fire kit, and hygiene kit. Few extra handgun mags and some ammo. A large fixed blade knife is a must.

EDCForums.com - The Front Page has been a big help.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

lel
    I have many of the same items in my 3-day/4-person bug out kit. I also have: compass, signal mirror, beefed-up med kit; small pry bar, small hand saw & multi-bit screwdriver.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    First aid kit (add some Neosporin ointment to it if it already doesn't have it) & get training on wound care if you don't already have it and you might want to consider a Mylar Space Blanket and use it properly;
    How To Use A Mylar Space Blanket Correctly!

You all are reminding me of stuff I have! Have the mylar blankets, and a signal mirror. Also something for u guys to look into that is in my 1st aid kit. It's called sylvadine, or something like that. Best stuff for burns ever. My sister bumped a counter with a pot off boiling water covering her thigh in horrific scalding burns. Nothing but the sylvadine stopped the pain. My wife used it once getting a grease burn on her palm and said it was worth its weight in gold.

Thx again and keep the suggestions coming. Prybar is now on my short list!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My bug out bag is very small and light-weight, mostly just have it packed with twenties & fifties, that makes sense to me, for as we all know your never too far from a Walmart !!
    Devilsclaw likes this.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

If you're looking for a prybar, let me suggest a good multi purpose tool, one of the few useful combination tools used for firefighting. The "Firemaxx" axe has several useful features, axe and prybar most useful to non firefighters. One thing that may come in handy is a hydrant wrench which might give you access to a supply of water in an emergency.

Here's one site, not to recommend one over the other, just what Google popped up with.
    MAXX TOOLS by Fire Hooks Unlimited: FIREMAXX - HAMMERMAXX - FARRMAXX - PROMAXX
    DefConGun likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Also something for u guys to look into that is in my 1st aid kit. It's called sylvadine, or something like that. Best stuff for burns ever. My sister bumped a counter with a pot off boiling water covering her thigh in horrific scalding burns. Nothing but the sylvadine stopped the pain. My wife used it once getting a grease burn on her palm and said it was worth its weight in gold.
    True dat! I have experience with sylvadine also and it is good stuff. I was thinking you had to have a prescription to get it but I might be wrong (I probably am). Also, I am thinking that sylvadine is used to debri a wound of dead flesh, so that new can start to grow. Perhaps maybe an EMT could give some clarifications? With that thought in mind, I'm thinking it has a limited application and should be used properly so as to not cause any complications. I do think it is something to have in a first aid kit though, so good call!

It sounds like you are really prepared and are good to go. I think there's always something you can add but if you brought every possible thing you might need, you'll be hauling a U-Haul trailer behind your car. Unless I missed it in the comments or in your list, you might consider bringing some kind of radio to get important news & important updates. Maybe a small radio that runs on AAs might not take up too much room. I'm leary of the crank kind, I've never heard any good reports about any of them.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    You all are reminding me of stuff I have! Have the mylar blankets, and a signal mirror. Also something for u guys to look into that is in my 1st aid kit. It's called sylvadine, or something like that. Best stuff for burns ever. My sister bumped a counter with a pot off boiling water covering her thigh in horrific scalding burns. Nothing but the sylvadine stopped the pain. My wife used it once getting a grease burn on her palm and said it was worth its weight in gold.

Thx again and keep the suggestions coming. Prybar is now on my short list!
    +1 on Sylvadine. It's saved me from hours of pain many times. Takes that awful burning/throbbing pain away. Unfortunately, it is only available as a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    My bug out bag is very small and light-weight, mostly just have it packed with twenties & fifties, that makes sense to me, for as we all know your never too far from a Walmart !!
    Walmart does have everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    If you're looking for a prybar, let me suggest a good multi purpose tool, one of the few useful combination tools used for firefighting. The "Firemaxx" axe has several useful features, axe and prybar most useful to non firefighters. One thing that may come in handy is a hydrant wrench which might give you access to a supply of water in an emergency.

Here's one site, not to recommend one over the other, just what Google popped up with.
    MAXX TOOLS by Fire Hooks Unlimited: FIREMAXX - HAMMERMAXX - FARRMAXX - PROMAXX
    The wrench is a neat idea I hadn't considered. Better be ready for a lot of water.

You can get silvadene without a prescription.

Here is a link: Silvadene Cream 1% Silver Sulfadiazine Burn Cream - Mountainside Medical Equipment
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Administrator
    My Bug Out Bag is Large & Heavy so I'm getting a mule for a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The wrench is a neat idea I hadn't considered. Better be ready for a lot of water.
    Most hydrants can be turned on slow enough to refill a canteen, or you can loosen the 2 1/2 side and create a makeshift shower. But either way the wrench is a great idea.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

For what it's worth, I've dealt with Fire Hooks Unlimited, fair prices last time I did. No experience with the Maxx tool, I don't go in for stuff like that at work because it usually doesn't do anything exceptionally well, but for a BOB I think you couldn't do too much better. I may snag one and try it at work, I'll let you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links