Biometric Safes

Biometric Safes

This is a discussion on Biometric Safes within the Related Gear & Equipment forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; See a lot of mix reviews regarding the biometric safes. Anyone have experience with one? Are they reliable enough to depend on?...

Thread: Biometric Safes

Biometric Safes

See a lot of mix reviews regarding the biometric safes. Anyone have experience with one? Are they reliable enough to depend on?
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Depends on who you ask. Most people are not willing to take a chance with the battery going dead when they need to access it quickly.

I like technology as much as most, but for me I don't like electronics of any kind on handgun safes designed for quick access. I know they work fine for many people but you can find plenty of examples of finicky electronics including dead batteries and fingerprint readers that act up with a little sweat on your finger. I choose to use a simple and reliable push button lock on mine.

1242157303935102392626.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    Depends on who you ask. Most people are not willing to take a chance with the battery going dead when they need to access it quickly.
    Exactly. Murphy's Law applies to biometric safes and batteries.

Mine works flawlsy everytime I need it.

Distinguished Member
    I like my Barska very much. I did a lot of research on them before hand and this one has been flawless. Stack-on has some of the safes just rebranded.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by jay00f4 View Post
    Mine works flawlsy everytime I need it.
    This.

We've had ours for about 2 years, maybe more. I've had to replace the batteries once. It may be overkill, but I think I'm just going to start replacing them when I replace the smoke detector batteries. It gives a warning before the batteries die, and since I keep my carry gun in there, I access it every day. It would give me plenty of opportunity before it rendered the contents of the safe useless. Should the need arise, however, I have a key hidden nearby that will override the batteries, which is stored in our bedroom out of reach of our kids. We are really happy with it.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    i keep it simple with just buttons
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

When I bought the GunVault, I read all the reviews, including the biometric reviews.
    The complaints weren't about dead batteries, they were either that it didn't work when needed, or his five year old kid could also open it. Some fingerprints were left on the glass and confused the reader either way.

I opted for the vanilla GunVault.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I plan on getting one with both reader and buttons, if you use buttons, use a code that creates a pattern you can remember when your brain is foggy. Ebay has some good deals on the flush wall safes.

I have the GunVault with the programmable buttons just for my ready gun. I have the key hidden close by in case the batteries die, (which happens once as year or so). That is as high tech as I want to get for a ready safe.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I plan on getting one with both reader and buttons, if you use buttons, use a code that creates a pattern you can remember when your brain is foggy. Ebay has some good deals on the flush wall safes.
    I have a Sentry Safe with a print reader and keypad. The problem I've seen with most of those is the reader tech is far from optimal, i.e. cheap, (you need to move your finger over the reader) and almost never works. I almost don't bother any more and go for the keypad. The Barska and a couple of others have a reader you just press your finger on and they work very well. When I originally got my Barska I programmed one finger and one position, it would work 99% of the time first shot, sometimes I'd have to do it twice. I left it that way for several months as a test and was fairly impressed with it. Recently I programmed several fingers in two or three different positions and it has never not opened on the first attempt and I got into it at least twice a day. Not all readers are created alike, I stayed away from the GunVault print readers from all the bad reviews. I do have a regular GunVault next to my bed if needed to store a pistol for the night.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I know that this isn't a Biometric safe, but we are getting two of the Gun Vault gun safes this year. As far as the batteries go, I change them in my smoke/fire/CO2 detectors with the time change, so I will just add the safes to my list.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Links